NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new fibre broadband seems a bit flaky

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Message 21 of 21

Hi

Just went live on 22nd after home move process. New phone number is in the community profile.

I know it takes about 10 days to optimise the line, but it does seem to be struggling.

On 23/10 at 9am router reprted link rate 5093/39421 Kbps. Didn't make a note of thre uptime.

On 24/10 at 9pm the router reported Link rate: 5093/37019 Kbps with an uptime of 0 days 20 hours 12 mins

On 25/10 at 10pm it reported Link rate 4929/34999 Kbps with an uptime of 0 days 0 hours 52 min

Today 26/10 at 3.20pm it reports Link rate 4243/32398 Kbps with uptime of 0 days 5 hours 26 min.

I have used the landline phone and there is some crackling and hissing.

Speed tests with www.speedtest.net are giving download speeds of between 19 Mbps and 21 Mbps.

Could you have a quick look to see there is anything fundamentally dodgy?

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi @jbuchanangb

Ok we have had a discussion and the charge will be removed.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hello @Arne-TalkTalk

As you can see from the whole of this thread, there were two faults. Noisy line affecting voice calls, and a bridge tap fault on internal wiring.

The engineer did not dispute the noisy line, and rectified the fault by making repairs external to the property, and advised me to bypass the bridge tap fault by using the test socket which I have done.

If there had only been the bridge tap fault I would not dispute the charge.

Can you arrange for the charge to be cancelled, or should I institute the complaint procedure?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi @@jbuchanangb

The engineer report puts the fault down to internal wiring.  Which is deemed as valid.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi @jbuchanangb

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

A further update.

I have been charged for the engineer visit, which was undoubtedly to rectify noise on the line and which involved the engineer in doing work on the lines away from the house.

Please look at the engineer report, and let me know why this visit has resulted in a charge.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi

If you only have one phone socket or do not use any other phone sockets, I'd leave it at the test socket.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hello

Update on speed and stability.

Speed seems solid, link rate 9999/39999

Up time now 4 days 7hours 45 mins.

I suppose my only question is whether I should leave it alone, plugged into the test socket, or replace the face plate and plug in as normal.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi jbuchanangb,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the stability and speed compares over the weekend.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi

Openreach attended. Confirmed loop probelm, and fixed it. Advised that there is a "bridge tap" fault on my internal wiring, not able to fix.

Recommended that I connect phone base station and router at master socket. (He fitted a new master socket, incorporating an internal test socket.)

He said that I would need to connect to the test socket to avoid the fault on then internal wiring having an effect on the broadband speed at the router, or lift a flap inside the master socket to disconnect the rest of the house sockets, then connect to the master socket.

I relocated my phone base and router, and connected to the test socket. In the process I managed to connect the phone wire to the router and the router wire to the phone!

That didn't work and even when I called support they couldn't help me figure it out. Obviously I did figure it out, so no callout of technician with associated £65 charge for stupidity was required.

Router now humming with link rate 9999/39999.

It is not so well placed in the house as before, so I think the net effect is slightly slower wi-fi connectivity at the PCs! But probably acceptable. Have had to insert a pair of power line adapters in order to get the signal to the Youview box.

Alternatively relocate the router back to previous location and see how it behaves. Probably it will go back to the rather poor link rate and unable to maintain uptime. Don't think I'll do that.

Case closed for now.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi

Thursday 1st Nov AM (8-1) has been confirmed.

Regards,

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi

OK, I've requested the Thurs or friday for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Not available Tuesday or Wednesday this week, but anytime thereafter. No preferecne for AM or PM.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi

Openreach are asking to confirm an appointment.  What days are best for you and AM or PM ?

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi

I've requested this is logged to Openreach now.  I've requested a non appointed engineer, will get back to you if they require any availability for a visit.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

I just went and plugged a brand new unused microfilter into the master socket, and plugged a corded phone into the filter. Listened to the dial tone, could hear crackling. When the dial tone timed out I could still hear crackling on the line.

Then I went to try to reply to this thread, and the broadband has disconnected - red light showing on router. Waited a short time, and then broadband came back.

I think this does warrant an engineer to investigate!

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi jbuchanangb

The fibre test is showing that errors are detected and there is a suspected voice fault.

Tests on the voice side are then failing and picking up a loop fault on the line.

A loop fault can be anywhere, including a faulty handset so I know from experience that networks are going to ask if an alternative handset has been tested at the master / test socket.

Can you confirm this has been done so I can request this is logged out to an engineer ?

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Or maybe this is how DLM is supposed to work.

7 days since go live and this is what I am seeing today

DSL Type:
:
Link Rate:
Connection Type:
Network Status:
Connection Uptime:

doesn't seem right to me.

I look forward to hearing from an OCE who can look at what is happening.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Thanks. Sounds like the noisy line might be the problem, I'll get the OCEs involved for you.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Connection type is VDSL

DSL Type:
:
Link Rate:
Connection Type:
Network Status:
Connection Uptime:  0 Day 4 Hour 56 Min 42 Sec

Today 27/10 10.50am

Still flaky.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

What does the router report the downstream attenuation as?

0 Likes