Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

serious internet problems

11 REPLIES 11
tomhigham
First Timer

Having serious issues, Have had engineers come out twice and fixed the 'problem' been fine for a few days then has gone back to the same problem.

Router is set to 'always on' but is still cutting out and internet speed dropped from around 4mbs-5mps to between 0.5 and 1.5. We are also getting serious interferance on the line.

tomhigham
First Timer

internet has cut out around 6-7 times in the last 20 minutes, this is ridiculous

KeithFrench
Community Star

Sounds like an intermittent line faut, but what exactly do you mean by serious interference on the line? Could it be an ADSL microfilter breaking down?

bloggsy2014
Popular Poster

how does it affect your landline phone service - or do you have one?

tomhigham
First Timer

when u pick up the phone there is just a loud buzzing noise, it seems to have fixed itself atm. Coould it be done to the weather that i have been having the last few days?

Tom

bloggsy2014
Popular Poster

i always think weather or more likely water has a lot to do with it. the real solution would be for BT to come through and dig up the affected cable and either resheath or replace but just to get to that point is such a headache what with moving the case up team levels despite a clear history of degradation (which i can see in my phone text mssg history!) and potentially expensive that like most people i settle for some semblance of return of service. personally i hope that this time (now no dial tone) it doesn't recover at all and so the drastic action has to be taken. because anything less than a secure connecting line may deliver a workable voice connection but means degraded data, replete with dropped connections and slower/internittent service. if i didn't have a chance to use my colleague BT wifi as a back up i couldn't be online even now and already have to use it if for work purposes i need a reliable connection ... and the BT isn't all the fast either!

KeithFrench
Community Star

Rain can be a problem for the user (obviously) and for any ISP when it comes to testing your line.

For your information the cable from the exchange to your nearest cabinet (green box in the road), will not be one length of cable. Depending how far from the exchange you live, these multiple lengths of cable (not sure how long each one is) are joined together in one of the footway boxes (manhole covers) you see in the pavement. These joints, as per my previous post, are designed to be waterproof. They remain waterproof, providing they are closed up correctly after being opened.

So lets say for example there are 3 of these joints up to the cabinet. When it rains, water begins to soak into the poorly closed joint (whichever one of the three it is). After a while the water reaches your pair of wires & causes a current or earth fault on it. The rain stops & still the fault persists, until such time as the joint has dried out. Only then will the fault go away.

Whenever a line is tested (unless it is raining at the time, or hasn't dried out), it will show as no fault.

The only way to find this is for an engineer to inspect all of the joints on your cable run (there may well also be joints between the cabinet & your house). If your line is distributed by a pole, there is definitely a cross connection box at the top of the pole, it could also be in there.

tomhigham
First Timer

definatly seems to have something to do with the weather. it was sunny all afternoon and the connection sorted itself out and the interference sorted itself out. However, today has bee awful!! and the static is back on the phone and internet is terrible.

Tom

bloggsy2014
Popular Poster

thanks for your post. it's reminded me that another factor is that the council until last week had roadworkers from conway laying in new asphalt "pavement" (the last time they had conway in, they asphalted over my water shutoff valve) on my side of the road. possibly another factor.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Get the line fault reported & stress & stress again that it is intermittent, but bear in mind my earlier comments about when anyone tests it. If it starts raining heavy and you can get on Report & Repair via a smartphone or whatever, test & report it then.

Community Team

Hi tomhigham,

I'm sorry to hear this. As noise on the line can affect the broadband connection we'll need to look into this first.

Does the master socket have a test socket? Is the noise/buzzing present with 2 different handsets, including a corded phone, and with all other devices removed from the line? Once we've confirmed this then we can pass the voice fault straight over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

bloggsy2014
Popular Poster

Thanx Keith for all your input! Certainly a lot more from you than Talk Talk! i hope tom nigham is faring better than i. maybe because his issue was intermittent, service has returned. i see community executives stressing to him the same socket tests report and repair make clear to do. in my case there is absolutely zero life on the line, as if a cable had been severed. what's worse, it has been over 72 hours since i reported this problem and not a murmur from Talk Talk. But i do try to get onto live chat and stress testing as you've advised. of course i'm not talking to the top team then which i have been told matters have "progressed" to. Thanks again