Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Password Reset

Fibrepaul73
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 9

My Father-in-law has dementia and has changed his TalkTalk Account password and now cannot remember what is.  It's the same password used in his @talktalk.net email address that receives the password reset email request - hence he's unable to access his email to be able to reset his password.  He also doesn't have a functioning mobile phone of his own.

I drove 400 miles to his house in Scotland and called TalkTalk support whilst he was there.  I spoke to someone who told me they would use my email address and mobile number on his details, and allow 3 working day for this to actioned.  Now back in Wiltshire the TalkTalk account password reset process did not send me an email.  Speaking to TalkTalk support they said that they needed to speak to my father-in-law for him to answer his security questions which he won't know.  I understand GDPR protocol but why wasn't I told this in the first place?

How do I get this resolved?  I used his TalkTalk account last Christmas (before he changed the account password) to renew his broadband contract as it had expired.  He has years of information tied up in his  Talktalk @talktalk.net account that he can't access.  Dementia is ruining his life - I'm trying to help him.  Can somebody help me?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

They won't be able to help as you cannot pass identity verification. You need POA or if he's capable your Father in Law would have to speak to them or post on here. Other than that you may be able to get through the process with the CEO team. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

I don't have Power of Attorney as we have not reached that stage with my Father-in-law yet.  OK.  I'll talk to Customer Services again.  Talking to you guys just emphasises the rigid procedures being followed which doesn't help me.  Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

If you have Power Of Attorney I can help you setup password reset to an address or mobile in your possession. Other than that I'm afraid we can't help on the community. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Please read this slowly as I don't think you read my email properly.  This problem relates to my Father-in-law's TalkTalk account which I'm trying to resolve for him - not my account.  My father-in-law has Dementia. For some reason he changed his TalkTalk account password.  He say's he wrote it down but he doesn't know where.  He doesn't have a working mobile phone.  The one he did have only makes calls and received texts.  The Password Reset mechanism doesn't work in this situation.  He can't open an email to action the reset as he doesn't have an alternative email account set up in his details.  And his mobile number doesn't work.

I've put his account details in my private details.  This can only by resolved manually by someone in TalkTalk updating his mobile number with my number and setting his alternative email account with my email account.  Then the Password Reset mechanism contacts me so I can make the password change on his behalf.  I understand the GDPR protocol but without manual intervention by yourselves this can't get resolved.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Fibrepaul73, there are 2 alternates setup to receive password reset details. One being the mobile number in your profile the other is a .com email address.

Ady

Message 6 of 9

I have done as you've requested.  I'll await to hear from someone.

Many thanks.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 9

Hi Fibrepaul73 

You're right that your father's MyAccount password will be the same as the TalkTalk email address password when that email address is the MyAccount username login.

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to email password reset and recovery. 

If the login talktalk.net email address has had password recovery options set up, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send the alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.  It normally takes a couple of working days to set up those reset details.

So, the question is do you see your mobile number added to those reset details yet?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Add his details in Private Notes, @Fibrepaul73.

Go via your avatar/name; settings; from the drop down menu that starts with "email" choose Personal Information. Check that your own details are completely up to date. 

Private Notes are at the end of that section. Put your father-in-law's details in there and SAVE CHANGES. 

Your thread is in the queue for attention. Further security checks may be required from you when staff reply.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes