Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot verify server identity

JimSmith
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 5

A family member started getting a pop-up on her phone last Friday (21 Aug 2020):

Cannot verify server identity

The identity of "eas.microsoft.com" cannot be verified

This only happens when she is connected to her TalkTalk WiFi, and pops up about every 2 hours. If WiFi is turned off on her phone (so she is using the 4G network) the message does not appear. Until last Friday everything was working properly and she has made no changes to any part of the system.

Any useful guidance on the way to resolve this please, preferably to correct whatever caused the problem.

Phone: iPhone 6 with iOS 13.6.

Jim
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

An update!

My son in law came home on leave (it's his name on the account) yesterday and we were able to work together on the problem.

The first big step forward was to be told that nothing had access to the Internet via broadband (my fault, I should have asked), and after rebooting (power cycling) the router this was still the case.

I still had my Netgear router from before I moved to fibre and was able to configure this and lend it to them. There was still a problem accessing the Internet (such as DNS worked, IGMP and HTTP didn't), so he raised a case with support (I had had to go on to an appointment by this time). Support were very helpful and diagnosed an authentication problem. This was resolved and then everything in the garden was beautiful. 😊

He then retried the earlier router and that also started to work, so he updated support and had a useful conversation, the upshot of which is that he has now signed up for fibre! Faster, more reliable, and cheaper than ADSL.

My son in law will check that the original problem has now gone away, when my daughter comes back home off duty, which should then close the case.

Many thanks for your help, we have a good resolution all round.

Jim

Message 3 of 5

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

Thanks for the response and the links. The link to Apple only refers to configuration profiles, which does not apply here as it's a personal phone not configured for a corporate environment, and the ikream one is about being unable to send/receive emails although this one has given me some thoughts to follow up when my daughter is off duty. We can try removing and re-adding the email set-up for outlook.com (if she uses that) and see what happens. I will keep you posted with the results as soon as possible.

Unfortunately nothing I have found helps with why the phone works as it has done for a long time when the WiFi is turned off, and only exhibits this odd behaviour when connected to her TT WiFi.

Jim
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 5

Hi JimSmith, apparently a common problem with the Iphone 6 and Microsoft.com. 

You'll find the fix on either https://www.ikream.com/microsoft-outlook-exchange-server-errors-cannot-send-emails-iphone-6s-plus-27... or https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251193170

Please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes