Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Breach?

ddtalk
Chat Champion
Message 10 of 10

I have an email and text arrive from openreach on behalf of talktalk saying they are coming to upgrade my connection (presumably to fttp).

The text number is +44 7786 202608

The email is info@openreach.talktalk.co.uk (posted through amazonses.com)

They also have the last 3 characters of my postcode

The email they sent this to is my email address specific to talktalk.

I did not order this upgrade, neither the text nor the email use my name, the links on the email are disguised, all leading me to believe this is phishing.

How did they get my email address, mobile telephone number and postcode if this was not a data breach?

9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

I'm sorry to see you chose to cancel. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

You weren't far off, there is a third option which comes up eventually - CANCEL

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Thanks, openreach appointment is cancelled and my talktalk contract cancelled as well, thanks for the guys and gals in Salford making this so much easier than it has been with offshore call centres in the past.

I've defended talktalk many times in the past, they were usually cheaper especially if you haggled and the actual internet service has generally been brilliant, the off shore call centres were always a weak point but through this forum problems were usually resolved reasonably. My brother keeps moving to other companies and finds them no better.

I still think overall the talktalk service is reasonable compared to others, we still have two more internet connections, one of which is talktalk.

I've been with the talktalk and its predecessors (localtel, screaming.net, tiscali, World Online etc) since around 1999 and will carry on recommending them.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 10

They should be able to tell you whether or not you should reply to that text with "no thank you" or something similar,  or simply stop it going forward for you.

The regular Talktalk contact number is 03451 720088. Not open Sunday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

Staff won't be back on here till after the Bank Holiday, @ddtalk, and in the past have advised the following, in a similar case:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Future-Fibre/Cancel-Future-Fibre-Appointment/td-p/2873162

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 6 of 10

How do I cancel the Openreach appointment that they have made themselves (which I haven't agreed to)?

0 Likes

ddtalk
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 10

TBH we have three internet connections, two of which are talktalk and I am planning on cancelling this account so it would be pointless upgrading to fttp anyway.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hi ddtalk, thanks for confirming the security information. I'm just waiting on confirmation about your service. The exchange is showing as having been upgraded to Fibre to the premises only. I'm just checking whether we can leave you on the service you're on or if it has to be upgraded. I'll post back as soon as I hear. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 10

Hi ddtalk, this is part of the Future Fibre upgrade process.  Do you want me to check your account to see if there's an order in progress?

Ady