Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check for talktalk free phone number against scam?

tlml1023
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

I have received communication via email and mobile on a broadband upgrade. It seems legit, however in the time of scams, I would like to be sure.

Quite sensibly, he talktalk scam information page advises to check the phone number from legitimate source such as bill or website.

However, I cannot find a list of valid numbers anywhere in the talktalk site, nor my bill. Does such a list exist? I could find a scam number checker, however the number I fed in only came up with two questions "is this a valid number for talktalk?", similarly on broadband upgrades. The other options are to ask through chat (which doesn't seem to work), or call to a non-free phone...

Can you please advise?

PS None of the tags allowed made any sense for my question...

Thanks,

Timo

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Did you sign up for the free upgrade or have you stayed as you are?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

@Gliwmaeden2and @Ady-TalkTalk, it is true that things can be spoofed, however at least my reflex is not to click anything in an sms or email I'm not sure of, but type the phone number/web address/email by hand (I have to admit that I've sometimes slipped from the reflex...)

It is a bit of a conundrum though: if the phone number is not published on a website, and as you say, anything in a text or email can be spoofed, there is essentially no way for a receiver of TalkTalk communication to be able to trust that the contact came from a legitimate source...

Wouldn't the best way be to have a clearly visible contact phone number at the TalkTalk site, and instead of showing a phone number in the texts or emails, just tell the receiver to go to the site for the contact details?

I have to say that currently finding a contact number from the website is very difficult...

Cheers,

Timo

Message 3 of 8

Gliwmaeden2, is absolutely spot on as usual.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 8

@tlml1023 , remember that the displayed phone number can be spoofed.

So not being published might actually help prevent con artists exploiting the information. 

You would still need to phone Talktalk up yourself to be sure that you had reached the legitimate company, rather than taking anybody's word for it when they called you. 

Basically any numbers, including private domestic numbers, can be spoofed. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 5 of 8

Hi Gliwmaeden2 and Ady,

Thanks for the phone numbers! I tried and they seemed to work, but haven't had time to concentrate on this further.

Just as a general comment though, I still think that the phone numbers that TalkTalk calls from should be available somewhere - I was not able to check if it was a valid number or a scam (which is the recommended thing to check in the TalkTalk scam-checking guidance!!!). If people cannot check the phone numbers, they'll either not engage on valid calls, or, worse, engage with scammers...

It would be good if you would put a note of valid phone numbers somewhere, for example to the search result of your scam phone number checker -- at the moment it only has customer comments (mainly asking if it is a valid number or not!). Ady, it would be good if you could raise the concern up the chain.

Cheers,

Timo

Message 6 of 8

Hi Timo, Gliwmaeden2 is spot on. 

Please let us know how you get on.

Ady

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

From a Talktalk landline, Talktalk numbers are free, @tlml1023:

03451 720046 or 03451 720088

They'll be able to verify any contact information for ordering. 

Similarly Chat, and a complete list of opening hours:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.