Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPad version of Online Defence is not an improvement

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Message 6 of 6

It seems that a new version of TalkTalk Online Defence has installed itself on my iPad. Version no. is 18.3.272605. It is not an improvement. I am able to open my personal homepage *link removed* because it was bookmarked and the install didn't lose the bookmark. All the links on that page should open other web pages "in new window". And indeed they did using the previous version of the browser. With this version, nothing obvious happens when I tap any link. If I tap and hold a link, I get a popup offering "Open link", "Copy link", "Share" and "Add to photos". The "Open link" option then opens the relevant web page in Google, which rather defeats the point of using the Secure browser.
By some means, I don't know quite what I did, I have sometimes managed to get new windows to open in the backgroud when tapping a link, but this is not obvious - there is a miniscule number displayed in the page header bar which changes to show how many windows exist. Tapping there brings up a show of multiple blank windows. In this situation, tapping a blank window miraculously results in displaying the web page which should have come up straightaway.
The browser also does not offer a "Back" button.
I would welcome any advice on how to render this new version of the browser remotely useable.

Now surfing from a Dell Inspiron 3881 running Windows 11 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Ok let me upgrade and retest.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Message 2 of 6

Online Defence on my iPad has upgraded to Version 18.3.272605. Tenant ID: 44515. I can't find a version number for the browser component.
First screen shot is of my home page AFTER I have tapped on the BBC News icon. The only visible change to the image from before tapping is that the number "2" has appeared just to the right of the URL name, indicating that 2 windows are active.

ipad screenshot 2.jpg

The next screen shot is what is visible after tapping on the "2 windows active" icon. Shows the two windows, one is my home page, the other is blank. On tapping on the blank window, the BBC News page opens. I have represented this with just the one new window, but if I was to then tap another image on my home page to open another page in a new window, the same process occurs, i.e. the tine number of active windows increments, and additional blank windows are then visible after clicking that "active windows" icons.

ipad screenshot 1.jpgOn previous version of the Online Defence Browser on the iPad, tapping on an icon to open a page in a new window did exactly that, and the multiple windows indicator at the top of the page would show a list of thumbnails of the available windows. You may also notice that there is no BACK button in this new version of the online Defence browser, which causes a problem, as "Back" is a very commonly used function of browsers, at least it is by me.

So in my opinion the new version is not an improvement.

Now surfing from a Dell Inspiron 3881 running Windows 11 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi jbuchanangb, I've been testing your site on my device an it's working ok. The version of online defence is 17.9.0015059 with browser version 96.0.4664.92.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Message 4 of 6

I have never used Safari on the iPad. I recall that when I first installed the TalkTalk browser I followed some instructions to inhibit Safari so that I would use the Secure Browser. So the browser I use is the TalkTalk browser, and the new version just installed has the problems I have described.

If I could remember what I did I would replicate it so that the iPad wouldn't treat Google as its preferred browser. But if this new version of the TalkTalk browser proves unusable, maybe I will remove it.

There is a link to my personal web site in my profile, and it is only external to TalkTalk because TalkTalk kicked if off their servers a couple of years ago and I had to rebuild it on Wix.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

I have just worked my way through your website just fine on my iPad. The links to external sites on the home page all open in new tabs. Are you using the native Safari browser, or something else? Have you tried uninstalling Online Defence to see if that changes the behaviour?

Forgive me, but I have temporarily obscured your website from this thread because many of the links are essentially to third-party sites and in breach of the forum rules. The support team will still be able to see it in the edit history and restore it if they see fit.