Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents account hacked

Tractorboy010
First Timer
Message 3 of 3

It seems that my 81 year old father has had his email account hacked.

He has an old Tiscali email address that appears to have been transferred to TalkTalk some time ago.

I do not know exactly what has happened to his account, I have been trying to help him remotely. However he says that he got an email to say that his account had been compromised and then a popup appeared displaying his email address and its password. As I have not seen this myself I do not know how accurate the information is.

I have tried to go through the TalkTalk forgotten password page, and it says that it will either send an email to his address (useless because he cannot access it), send a reset message to a mobile number (which isn't his number) or send an email to a secondary account (which he says he has no knowledge of).

Short of him trying to speak to TalkTalk, which would probably be very frustrating for all parties, is there anything that I am able to do to try to help him recover his account?

Thank you.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi Tractorboy010, if your father registers on here and we're able to verify security information we can help him by getting his password reset information updated. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi Tractorboy010 

Sorry to see that your dad's tiscali email account has been compromised. Unfortunately, he's not set up password recovery reset details so will need TalkTalk help to verify he's the registered user, secure the account and set up new password recovery Reset details.

TalkTalk will need to verify his personal details so if he's a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer and you're named on the account holder's account as a nominated person or with Power of Attorney / Authority to act then you can help him directly right here.

Alternatively, you can help him to register with Community and make a request in the Email forum to have new Reset details set up so that he can recover access to the tiscali email. The Reset details he'll need are an alternative email address, that he could also use to register here with Community, and a mobile number.

Power of Attorney/Authority to Act

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution