Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People getting calls from my landline number which aren't from me

QuestionMark
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

I'm a long-time TT customer who's had a generally problem-free servive. However, today I've had 4 calls to my TalkTalk landline from people on mobiles saying they have missed calls from me and what did I want? I haven't made any of these calls and don't know any of the people. They all seem genuine, so it seems that someone else is calling them and somehow my landline number is being identified as the source of the calls. How is this possible?

A chat with TalkTalk Support suggested that I use the Check & Report facility, which is for nuisance calls. But that would seem to mean reporting my own number as a nuisance caller, and I don't want to end up with own landline blocked!! How can I get this resolved? Help!!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi QuestionMark, please don't take any further action until we hear back from the Security team. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 14

@QuestionMark 

People reporting your number will not get it disconnected, it just may appear on a list of many that have been spoofed.

If it's an ongoing issue the only solution is to change your phone number.

However, even doing that is no guarantee that the new number is safe from being spoofed.

Message 3 of 14

Security have advised that they're investigating this for you. I'll provide updates as I get them.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Although I suspect I know the answer I've asked security if there's anything we can do to help. 

Ady

Message 5 of 14

1) OK, so Spoofing is a thing.

2) Can anything be done about it?

3) What happens to me/my number if people start reporting it as the source of nuisance calls?

Thx

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi QuestionMark, here's Ofcom's thoughts on this. 

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

Ady

Message 7 of 14

Errr, not really!

1) It would be nice to have it clarified by TalkTalk that this is likely what has happened (that my TT number can be spoofed (really?!?) and that this is probably what's happened)?

2) I would like to understand what can be done about it?
3) I would like to understand what happens if people start getting annoyed about the apparent calls from my number, report it and what happens to me and my number if they do (and it ends up on some block list)? Will I still be able to get calls, etc?

Thx

Message 8 of 14

Hi QuestionMark, thanks for posting. It looks like your fellow community members have got this sorted for you. 

Ady

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for checking, @QuestionMark.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 10 of 14

Thx for the suggestions. 17070 returns my correct landline number, so it sounds like some cold caller has spoofed it. Sigh....

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

According to the Christmas schedule for staff that we were given, there should be support this weekend, just not on the Bank Holiday Monday. 

Hoping you hear from them soon, @QuestionMark. It will help speed things up if you complete your community forum profile details as soon as possible, in case they pick this up in the morning. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 12 of 14

@QuestionMark  dial 17070 and check your own number is read back.

If it is correct then it is likely someone has "spoofed" your number, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/scams/phone-spoof-scam

Divsec
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @QuestionMark I've moved your second post due to duplication.

Please check your community profile and add your landline phone number which is used to identify your account. Please don't post personal details here. 

Your post has been escalated but the team here work office hours so it could be Tuesday before you hear.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.