Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public vs Private internet connection

Ring24
Participant
Message 9 of 9

I am a victim of fraud. Today some crooks tried to steal money from my bank account.

They phoned me on my mobile number claiming that they are from BT SECURE and they wanted to secure my internet connection because it was public when actually it has to be private. They sounded so genuine that I believed them. Then they asked me to download and install in my desktop device, in my laptop and my smartphone the TeamViewer application and from there they asked me security questions from by bank accounts.

They did manage to transfer money from my current account to another savings account I have with another bank. And from there they managed to transfer money to their account. Fortunately I realized what was going on and reported it to the bank and they managed to block the transfer.

I uninstalled the TeamViewer from all my devices and then I run a full computer scan which didn't find anything wrong. What I'd like to ask you is this: Is my computer and other devices safe now or should I buy new devices?

Also how can I turn my internet connection from being public to private?

George
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Ring24
Participant
Message 2 of 9

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. This issue is now resolved.  No further help is needed. 

George

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 3 of 9

I would also add that as a TalkTalk customer, TalkTalk would never phone you regarding this type of issue, and another ISP, such as BT in this instance, would never phone you regarding your TalkTalk connection.

A phone call from BT, should potentially have rung alarm bells as a TalkTalk customer.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 4 of 9

You're internet connection is private unless you share the password for it. You security is password based on your devices. I would change all your passwords. Turn off your router for an hour to change your IP address. Scan all your internet connected devices to with an anti virus and malware scanner. If you're on a TalkTalk internet connection we put Scam Protection on by default to stop these things from happening. Had you asked for scam protection to be turned off? You should have it turned back on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Ring24
Participant
Message 5 of 9

Yes, they asked me to install TeamViewer in my desktop computer, laptop and smartphone. Through TeamViewer they asked me some security details and that is how they transferred money out of my account. I reported it to the bank and the police and they blocked my account for security reasons. 

I uninstalled TeamViewer from all devices but i do not know if that makes the devices safe. But I'm considering buying a new computer. What I'd like to ask you is if public internet connection is safe or if I have to change it to private. If so, how can I do that?

George
0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Did they also ask you to install software on your device to allow them to make the checks and changes for you? 

Ady

0 Likes

Ring24
Participant
Message 7 of 9

I do need help. If I didn't need help I wouldn't have posted this question. You say this is my 3nd topic. Actually this is the 2nd one. The other topic about a full computer scan was posted twice because it was posted in the wrong place. That issue was resolved.

This question I posted yesterday has to do with the internet connection. Some people pretending to be from BT claimed that my internet connection is not secure because it is public when actually it has to be private. I do not know has it changed from private to public. I did a google search and I found that other people had to deal with the same issue. Their internet connection changed from private to public. So I do not know if this is normal. Is it safe? If not, how can I change it from public to private?

George
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 9

Hi Ring24, if you genuinely need help we're here to help. This is your 3rd topic, but you're not replying after we post to help. 

Ady

0 Likes