Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safesearch

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 22 of 22

Today, for some reason when opening a tab on my Chrome  browser I was faced with the Google "Personalisation settings and cookies" page.

Having denied them as much as I am able (a futile exercise I know, but I like to make them work for the scraps the can glean!) I happened to notice that "Safesearch" was enabled, which irked me somewhat as I don't then know just what is being hidden from me.

I was further incensed to find that I, a mere member of the hoi polloi do not have the right to change the state of this setting, since my "Betters" or "Elders" have taken this decision out of my hands!

Was this the doing of TalkTalk?

If so, please can I have the right to make my own decisions?

Cap suitably "doffed" and forelock tugged in deference to my "betters" 😠

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Horses for courses!

Never really used Mac O.S. except briefly via Linux.

My old iPad, run IOS and newer one runs iPadOS both are fine with Safari, no strange unexpected changes as with dratted Windows machines.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 22

It's a matter of preference and choice at the end of the day. I have never found Chrome to be much of a resource hog, quite the opposite in fact, even if I have a gazillion tabs open as is my lazy way! As a Mac user I haven't dabbled with Edge, although it is an option. And while I happily use Safari on iPhone and iPad I have never cared for it much as a laptop/desktop browser. 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Agreed, it's pretty good at what it does do, despite being heavy on resources but it falls down in situations like this where "something has changed"  There is no committed help available just links to links to links which lead you down a rabbit hole you may never escape from; Obfuscation in its finest form!

Firefox on the other hand is lighter on resources, for the most part and has an active and helpful help  culture.

...then there's Edge, light quick and another "Hooverer up" of your every detail, but a total enigma as regards settings! 🙄

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 22

Hey, I have to say I have been using Gmail all that time and it has had rarely a glitch. As for Chrome, I came to that more recently and reluctantly, when Firefox started going down the pan. But with all the hangups we might have around Google it is nevertheless pretty much a killer browser. 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Me too, how I wish I had never signed up to be one of the first gmail victims back in 2004

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 22

Well I'm stuck then, sorry. 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Yes

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 22

Including How to fix issues?

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Yes, and followed all the links to no avail.

As is usual with Google Help, it has a very narrow perspective of the world and helpfully disables any form of communication. 

Capture1.JPG

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 22

Have you clicked on the dropdown arrow and looked at some of the advice there? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 22

I guess you could try removing Chrome and all associated back end files and then reinstall it? 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 22

Already done with Malwarebytes Premium, no problems detected.

I've even asked them if they are responsible for locking this setting, or indeed if "they" are masquerading as "My Administrator"!

It'll be some time before they reply, but I'm expecting denials! 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 22

I only have two browsers on this machine and I have no idea how to access this sort of detail in "Edge" so I have no idea if that too is in control of some imaginary "Administrator"!

My wife died several years ago, so I doubt it is she who is the Administrator! 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 22

I would run an AV/malware check if it is on your device and you are the administrator. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Have the setting changed on more than one device?

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 22

@Chris-TalkTalk Don't know why you were liking @ferguson 's post, That is the screen which brought me to this forum in the first place.

What I want is HELP taking control of the options on my own machine Grrr!

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 17 of 22

@ferguson Thanks, but Keep up 🙂

Steamywee_0-1649166445630.png

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

I can see that ferguson has pointed you in the right direction. Have the settings changed on more than one device?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 19 of 22

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk but it seems to be a global thing since I'm told the same if I enter a dodgy web search term in Edge Browser as well.

Google also say that it "can" be a router setting, mine is an HG 635 and I have no idea where such a setting might be hiding.

What advice can you give?

0 Likes