Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam involving AnyDesk app

Dave75
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 7

I received a telephone call from someone claiming to be from Talktalk and offering to tackle the problem of slow broadband on my Samsung Galaxy phone, which I had been unaware of. He also stated that there had been reported fraudulent activity on my account.

After going through a speed test it appeared that the download speed on my phone was very slow. He asked me to download and install an app called AnyDesk, which I had never heard of, which I did. In the process of doing so I realised that this app allowed remote access to my phone. I terminated the call and immediately removed this app from my phone.

I have informed TalkTalk of this scam and also reported it to my bank.

are there any further steps that I should take to protect myself and my phone from this scammer.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Dave75
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 7

No, no contact at all after the initial one . Thanks for your help in putting my mind at ease.

This forum never fails to solve my problems.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

It sounds like you spotted the problem in time. I'd say you have. You didn't receive any mail from the caller with links to click on did you?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Dave75
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 7

Hi Ady

Thanks again for your help.

Under the scammers instructions, I did download and install the app AnyDesk, not knowing at the time what it really was about. As soon as I saw that it allowed remote access to my accounts  I promptly removed it. This was very soon after installing it.

Have I done enough to keep my accounts etc safe.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

You'll find that scammers don't say your name cos they don't know it. They just have the number in most cases. You're safe as long as you tell them nothing and absolutely never grant them system access. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Dave75
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 7

Hi Ady

Thanks for your reply. I am not absolutely sure, but I’m not sure that they actually used my name at all.

What really concerned me was whether or not I need to make any adjustments in the Security section of my Samsung Galaxy phone.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 7

Hi Dave75, this an old scam obviously still doing the rounds. The obvious thing you can do is terminate the calls as soon as they say we can see your computer has been hacker or is being used. We don't make those calls to you. We would also insist on verifying your id too. 

Did they by any chance at any point use your name before they asked for it? 

Ady

0 Likes