My daughter has SuperSafe installed on her Android mobile and this is working fine. This month she mentioned that her mobile data allowance (500 Mb) was running low. I looked at the Data usage expectiong to find it was due to some game she was playing on the phone but instead it showed that SuperSafe had used more than 100 Mb of her mobile data in the last 3 weeks. This seems a bit odd and looking at her past mobile data usage SuperSafe never used this much data.
Can anyone explain what SuperSafe is doing and how we can manage this?
Hi rolando. does your daughter have updates set to update over wifi only? I've asked the question for you and will post back with the reply.
Do you mean system updates or App updates?
There is an issue with her phone not doing system updates over our WiFi so have done them on Mobile data once or twice. I did suspect HomeSafe might be blocking it but could not find the url for system downloads to add to trusted websites. Her phone is a Moto E3.
I was trying to suss out if the phone might have done an Fsecure update that would account for the 100mb. I'll have a word with the team to see if they can explain what might use the data.
I've had a reply now. The usage is normal browsing data. Here's how it's been explained to me.
"This is the result of the customer browsing using the SAFE browser. This usage would show as being from the SuperSafe app when in fact it is just the user browsing that’s resulting in the high data usage."
I hope that helps you.