Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned scam protection off but....

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 18

Turned scam protection off due to not being able to open emails i need but when i click on my email it still opens up a talktalk page regarding scams.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

That's great news mrmacca1964 🙂

Message 2 of 18

Nice one. We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 18

Hi,

All sorted i got the person to add files to messenger and all is fine.

Cheers for all the advice Gondola

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 18

Hi mrmacca1964,

I can see that Gondola has given you some excellent advice, please let us know if you need any further assistance 

Chris

Message 5 of 18

If this seems to be a file sharing site then HomeSafe KidsSafe can be blocking access as file sharing is a category that can be blocked.  Enable the KidsSafe File Sharing category or set the access to allow the wanted website address. But I'd be a bit cautious as Scam Protection was somehow being triggered and that's normally only when access to remote control websites is attempted. 

If you're totally happy that the downloading is safe and if HomeSafe is totally off but you're still getting the Scam Protection come up then TalkTalk Support can help you. But that'll be next week as there's no TalkTalk staff normally on duty at weekends.

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 18

It says that i am not authorised to visit the site and i need permission from the owner, it looks like a drive account but i need access to get the files, will email the owner to find out how i get my files and let you know the reply, and thanks for all the time and help you have given me.

Dave

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

So that image is showing some 'download' links. Which gives me the impression that you're being asked to download the rar files. Question is where do those download links take you?  If you hover the cursor over the Download but do not click you should see (bottom left of screen) where the download site is. Or right click the Download link and select Copy Link from the menu so you can paste that link into notepad for closer inspection.

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 18

Would normally just right click and open and extract using winzip but it wont let me do anything.Screenshot 2021-09-17 213232.jpg

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

How would you normally extract the rar data?  Using WinZip or WinRAR assuming it's a Windows device or UnArchiver or similar if MAC?

If you run that software and select the RAR file to open and extract the data. If it's not actually a RAR file but an executable file you'll get an error.

0 Likes

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 18

Doesnt give me the choice to extract if i right click on it

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

What happens if you right click the rar file and select the appropriate extraction method to decompress the rar data?

0 Likes

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 18

As soon as i click on the rar file the screen pops up, its just models for use on a cnc routing machine , this is the first lot that i have had trouble opening.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

At what point does the Scam Protection page comes up?  On uncompressing the rar files and running the software which is apparently set to download from a site like Teamviewer or Anydesk or a range of other remote control websites?

Are you aware of what the software is doing?  For example, you've paid for a specific remote access software product?

Is this what you were expecting?  Just asking, in case you've inadvertently got some malware embedded in the software you thought you were buying.

0 Likes

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 18

Hi,

it is rar files in the email and screenshot attached.Screenshot 2021-09-17 205016.png

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi mrmacca1964 

Is this a link in the email to download a file or files from a website or is it files in an attachment to the email? 

And if you screenshot and upload the TalkTalk error message then it might be clearer as to why that's popping up.

0 Likes

mrmacca1964
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 18

When i say emails i mean the files in the emails as i need to download them but cant, something that i have paid for and need to download.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi mrmacca1964 

Scam protection is intended to prevent the unaware of visiting websites that download remote control apps that can be used by scammers.  This preventative measure does not stop the opening of emails. However, if the email contains malware or a virus then your computer security may be safeguarding you.

Are you sure the email is virus and malware free? Are you sure the email does not contain a link to a suspicious website?

How to turn off Homesafe also an introduction to Virus protection and includes a link to TalkTalk Online Defence.