TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Pixilation

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 34

I am experiencing very bad pixilation which is getting progressively worse, to the point where some programs are almost impossible to watch because they are breaking up so badly. It is particularly bad on the channels that are delivered via the internet. It may be coincidental, but it appears to be worse since upgrading to fibre. I also have a problem with the box continually freezing or failing to record and have to re-set it on average once a week. Any ideas? 

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Hi John,

glad the issue seems to have settled down.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 34

I ended up fitting the newer of the boxes as it did appear to provide marginally better reception, the other has been returned.

The intermittent pixilation continued for a while but everything seems to have settled down again now, with just the very occasional line or buzz of interference, probably just from outside sources.

Thanks again to Karl and Ferguson for all your help, much appreciated.

John1949

Message 3 of 34

Thank you both for that. The symptoms that I am getting are exactly the same as Karl's, not all of the channels and not all of the time. Hopefully this is the issue and things will soon be back to normal. What a coincidence though!  I will keep you posted.

Meanwhile I will return the newer of the YouView boxes using the label provided . Do I need to put in a note stating that it is not a faulty unit?

Thanks again,

John

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Excellent spot Ferguson 🙂

K.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

I should have mentioned that the Digital UK site gives information about transmitter issues also, currently it shows:

Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.13.04.png

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

Hi John1949

I'm in liverpool, also using the Winterhill transmitter.  Over the past week I'm getting a lot of pixellation on some channels on my TV.  This is a separate TV running off a roof aerial, not connected to any TV box etc, so it looks like this is transmitter or signal related.  

I've got 4 TV,s only 2 connected to boxes, and the other 2 are standalone both connected to a roof aerial so I always check these when there are issues.  

The pixellation is not happening all the time, and not on every channel, it comes and goes, but it's unusual as I usually have a really good signal.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 34

Have checked the website which confirms that our reception is from Winter Hill  - 54 km away - and that we should be getting good reception (100) on all channels.

Nothing has changed with the aerial which is in the loft so not affected by wind etc. This was installed c4 years ago by a professional installer who said that it was the best available.

This particular problem has only surfaced since using the new boxes. The original box was swapped out as it kept failing (appears cured with new box).

My only other thought is that the interference is coming from some external source, which only affects the box as the signal strength is lower?? It would be a big coincidence though.  Not sure how I can check this.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

It may be that you are in an area with competing signals from different transmitters. And your aerial my not be optimally aligned. TV sets are usually quite heroic at pulling in a signal to their single tuner. YouView boxes with twin tuners less so.

Try checking here and let us know what it says: 

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Hi Karl,

Have fitted the new box which is giving a slight improvement in signal strength. On BBC1 the passthrough signal is now up to 100 but the reception via the box is only at 44. I carried out the previous procedure of retuning without the aerial connected and then again with it but this made no difference.

Hope you've got some more ideas up your sleeve!!

John

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

Thanks Karl

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Hi

That does point to an issue with the tuner.  Lets try another box and test this - one is one the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

If I connect the TV diectly to the aerial the strength is 100. When connected through the box it is 85 and when tuned in via the box 39

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Hi

These signal levels are low.  What signal level shows on the TV for BBC1 ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Karl,

I have done that and am getting readings of 36 to 39 for the main channels – BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4, 5 etc – and in the 20s for the ‘lesser’ channels e.g. More4, ITV4 etc.

When tuned in directly on my TV, even through the YouView box, the strengths are c90 for the main channels down to the 60s for the ‘lesser’ ones.

So a significant decrease when tuning in via the box.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

Hi John

Cam you remove the aerial from the youview box and retune the channels. 

Then reconnect the aerial and retune again, then see what signal level is shown for some of the youview channels.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

Everything still fine with the internet channels BUT the terrestrial channels are now pixilating badly. Not all of the channels and not all of the time but when it happens it is really bad and sometimes affects the sound as well. Recording Freeview channels is basically a hit and miss affair as you don't know if the result will be watchable or not. All of the terrestrial channels work fine if tuned in through the TV set, even though the aerial feeds through the YouView box. I have changed all of the leads and repositioned the HDMI lead into the three sockets on my TV, but no difference. I even tried a 4G filter as someone suggested that may be contributing to the problem, but again, no improvement. Any ideas??

0 Likes

Message 18 of 34

Hi

Glad to hear this helped.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

I have now received and installed the new box, all appears fine, I will update this post after a week or so.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 34

Your welcome. 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes