TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Pixilation

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 34

I am experiencing very bad pixilation which is getting progressively worse, to the point where some programs are almost impossible to watch because they are breaking up so badly. It is particularly bad on the channels that are delivered via the internet. It may be coincidental, but it appears to be worse since upgrading to fibre. I also have a problem with the box continually freezing or failing to record and have to re-set it on average once a week. Any ideas? 

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 21 of 34

Thanks very much

0 Likes

Message 22 of 34

Hi

If this has failed to improve performance then the next step is to swap out the box for you.  I'll get that done now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 23 of 34

I have done this many times, when a standard re-start doesn't work. It always works but the box soon crashes again and needs another re-start or Re-set.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 34

Hi

Try a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings).

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

Set the box back up and see if the performance improves.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 34

I have now tried the adapters through different sockets and they appear to be working OK. This obviously presents a problem as the component locations are fixed so I can only access the same electrical sockets as previously. Currently I am still running the system with the router located near the TV and connected wirelessly to the computer and music server and all is well, except I have a long run from the nearest phone socket. Now this set-up has proved successful over a fair period of time, I propose to keep this by running a permanent lead from the phone socket to the router.

The other problem that I mentioned, that of having to re-start and/or re-set the box on a regular basis, appears to be getting worse and it also failed all scheduled recordings the other night. Do I need to start a new post for this?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 34

Hi

To make sure it is the adapters, try them in other plug sockets to rule out any electrical issues.  If still failing then they may need to be replaced.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 27 of 34

I have now managed a direct connection and all is fine, so I guess that the problem lies with the power line adaptors. Is there anything that can be done with these or will I need to replace them?

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 28 of 34

Thanks for your help so far, I'll get back to you when I source a cable

0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

I know what you mean. Personally I have a 15m ethernet cable in hand for just such eventualities, lengths like that and beyond are available easily and cheaply online.

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 30 of 34

It would be difficult to make a direct connection as the TV and router are on different floors. I will search through my collection of cables and see if I can access the box by connecting the router to one of the other telephone sockets on the same floor. 

0 Likes

Message 31 of 34

OK, that's helpful. Are you in a position to test with a direct ethernet connection between the box and router, even if only temporarily?

Subject to that, if you would like the online support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then give them a day or two to respond.

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 32 of 34

My package includes Faster Fibre with an average download speed of 35Mbps. I do use power line adaptors which are the TalkTalk ones which were installed at the same time as the box. There wasn't originally any problem, even when I was just on ordinary broadband, but things have got progressively worse to the point where some programs are almost impossible to watch. On reflection, I do think that it is only the internet channels that are affected.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 33 of 34

If the pixellation is occurring on all channels then you have more than one issue. For those transmitted over the air e.g. BBC, ITV etc. then it will be down to your aerial. For any Boost channels e.g. Sky then it will be down your internet connnection and possibly whether you are using powerline adapters. If you can give us a bit more detail that would be helpful.

0 Likes