TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost / Internet channels pixelate (sometimes every few minutes)

adriancollins
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 6

Hi

I did a long detailed post about this and I've lost all of the text! So here is a simpler version... 👍

My Boost channels are somewhat unreliable. Quite often I can watch a program (or recording from a boost channel, such as the live gig I recorded from MTV and am watching now!)

What happens is that we can watch the channel and it works fine. Good quality, no issues. Then sometimes after a few minutes (the time varies) the picture and sound gets pixelated, for maybe 10 seconds then the picture is fine again. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It has happened a couple of times right now. Very annoying during a guitar solo!

I have done speed tests using a laptop and all seems fine through the powerline adapters...

My TT box is connected to the router with powerline adapters

(this set up works fine with Netflix, running from the same TT box, never had an issue)

Also, bbc iplayer and all other on demand always works without any problems

Suggestions welcome thank you!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 2 of 6
Thanks Karl, that's great info.
I'll try a few things out and update this thread another time if needs be...

Thanks again, much appreciate your help!
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Adrian, 

I find either moving the adapters or swapping them round can have an effect.  

I'm using a 2nd box upstairs, different ringmain so this also affects the adapter performance so I've gone with a wireless option. But as you say, direct wired connection will always be the best option.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 6
Hi Karl,
Thanks again for such a quick and comprehensive answer.
I have moved one of the powerline adapters, so that might make the slight difference needed (I guess)
I think in the near future I will put in an ethernet cable directly to the router. That has to be the best long term option...
I'll see if we notice any more issues, or any improvement, and will continue fault finding if needed.
I'm guessing there are no other tests we can do (or any other router config? ) so we'll see what happens...
Many thanks indeed.
much appreciated!
Cheers
Adrian
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi

All line tests are clear and speeds look fine.

Pre-recorded contents such as BBC Iplayer, Netflix and other streaming services will use standard internet protocols and can often work fine.    Live TV uses a protocol called IGMP, and this is a bit more sensitive.  Think of it like a second signal piggybacked on the internet signal.

The live TV signal is a lot more sensitive and can drop or be interrupted without you noticing any issues with on demand or internet traffic.

So with that in mind, we now need to see if we can find out whats happening.

If you are using the TV over powerline adapters, make sure these are direct into wall sockets.   As they transmit the signal over the electrical circuit, think if there could be anything plugged in nearby that could cause a spike in the signal, a transformer etc ?

If possible test the youview box direct to the router and see if the issue still happens - this can help identify is the issue is with the signal to the router or from the powerline side of the system.

Thanks

Karl.  

Working From Home Tips