TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get Apps on Talktalk tv

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 17

When I click on the Apps link I just get a HELP? And none of my apps like Netflix, Amazon etc. I have done all the things suggested such as restarting the talktalk box several times, restarting my router several times. I have a direct Ethernet connection between the box and the router and I have even tried replacing this with a different cable. Everything else such as iPlayer and all other players work fine. I have checked the internet connection and it is fine. Any help would be gratefully received.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 17

Hi fre55die, I totally agree with what you are saying. Over the course of a week I would say I would record 5 to 7 programmes, sometimes just so that I can skip through the adverts on the commercial channels but other times because programmes clash. The normal course of events these days is that technology gives one more choices but taking away the record facility is giving less. I have got a smart tv and I am struggling to see why if my box broke I would bother renewing the tv boost as without the record facility what would be the point?

Message 2 of 17

@Karl-TalkTalk 

I should love to know where these statistics come from, I am still not convinced about the use of apps rather than recording to catch up and where these figures come from. I have had the opposite view from my 20 or so friends and family that I have asked. O.K. yes for whole series that they may have missed BUT, not for missed or clashing individual episodes of a programme as they find that the APPS are just too clunky and find it easier just to record that episode.

I take on board what your personal viewing habits are, however there are so many options these days. Personally, and I'm not alone in this, I love some of the great old TV shows and films on Talking Pictures TV etc which of course don't have a catch up App. I also find that there are huge gaps in the available episodes available on many of the APPS.

As you may remember I was an early liker of NOW long before it was even on the TT box or TT started offering deals on it. Indeed I was an early triallist of the first white NOW stand alone box and the following updates to the various black ones, so the app route is hardly new to me. I still like being able to record the Terrestial channel episodes that I would have missed for various reasons.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"

Message 3 of 17

@Gnasher 

Many current TV's allow you additionally to record the currently tuned channel to a USB or External Hard Drive from it's built in tuner. So that is always one not ideal option I suppose.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 17

I should have said "additionally" rather than "alternatively,"  oops!

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 17

Yes I agree, I’m genuinely puzzled why they have stopped providing the recording facility in their boxes. We don’t use it  a huge amount but sometimes it’s invaluable. The plug in smart device would be ok but wouldn’t help with the recording.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 17

If the box is still recording then stick with it. As you say, most Smart TVs have inbuilt apps these days. Alternatively, a new plug-in smart device of some kind would be far cheaper than buying a new PVR, or paying Sky, or Virgin subscriptions. 

Message 7 of 17

Match of the Day because I can never keep awake to see it all!  and the odd programme that clashes with others.

Message 8 of 17

Hi

I'm not seeing any customers leaving specifically for this.

I've never actually recorded anything, I've many streaming services such as amazon, netflix, discovery plus etc, so have never had to record as the majority of stuff I watch is streamed, never watch terrestrial channels, except for Sky news of a morning, but thats also on youtube 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Karl, thanks for that but for now I will stick with my box that does record thank you.

I’m puzzled though, with smart tvs about the only advantage of having the talk talk box is the recording function. What do people do if they want to record that have a talktalk lite and does the lack of this facility drive customers to other providers such as Virgin and Sky or just buy their own box?

Message 10 of 17

Hi Gnasher,

TalkTalk have not provided a recording box for nearly a year now, and we can only issue the Lite box if this is required.

Out TV teams are currently looking at options for the future, but for now, this is the only box I can offer. Please let me know if you would like me to send this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 17

Hi fre55die, thanks for helping anyway. I looked and they do a tv plus box that you can record on and an ordinary tv box that you can’t. I’m puzzled why anybody would want one that doesn’t record?

Cheers Gnasher4

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

@Gnasher 

I totally agree but, I thought that I would pre-warn you of what to expect. I don't work for TT by the way, I'm just a customer like yourself.

0 Likes

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 17

Hi fre55die, I’m puzzled, why would they provide a box that doesn’t record, that is one of the facilities we use the most. How would we record all the programmes we currently do. If that is the case I would definitely keep the box I currently have, but what happens if it breaks?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

@Gnasher 

One of the members of staff hopefully will pick this up when they are back in on Monday. Unfortunately TalkTalk no longer supply a recording box though, so you will have to decide if you prefer to have the NOW and Amazon Apps on a non-recording box or keeping the recording aspect and hang on to the box that you currently have.

0 Likes

Gnasher
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 17

Hi fre55die it’s a Huawei DN 370T, I’m sure I used to get Apps when I clicked on the Apps link but now I’m doubting myself. I can still get Apps on my smart tv if I switch controls but it would be good to get it through my youview box. Thanks for the reply, do you know what I have to do if I’m due an upgrade?

0 Likes

fre55die
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @Gnasher 

What model box do you have as some older models don't have these Apps on them ?

Dependant upon your current package, you may well be eligible for one of the latest models if yours is an older model.

0 Likes