TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issue

crossld
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

I think you may have a Router Software Issue with the Static DNS slider switch.

Router Version:-

Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00
Software Version SG4K10002816t
GUI Version 3.7.8

Again I am having issues with the TVbox recording and playing back.  It all started around 4th Jan (Lockdown again) and I suspect that it may be due to bandwidth but not sure.

So I did a bit of testing.  I usually have my DNS pointing to OpenDNS Family Shield, but as I was having problems with the TVbox intermittently recording, not FF or RW without 5 sec delays, or just the box completely locking up. I thought I would change the DNS back to talktalk DNS in case OpenDNS was blocking a required DNS for any reason.

When I switched off Static DNS I then had another problem.

I was being sent what looks like an IPv6 DNS address, which my PC, Phone, Ipad etc did not like I could not browse the internet. An ipconfig /all provided the following info.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

If I set the Static DNS to 79.79.79.77 then an ipconfig/all provided the following info and my PC, Phone etc, could then browse the internet again

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.79.79.77

I have still not found out why my TVbox is having issues, but i will leave it a few more days and see what happens.

I also have seem to have a static route configured for the two talktalk DNS servers pointing to 81.1.112.32 which have been set by yourselves as I cannot remove them?

I have reset the Static DNS to OpenDNS and have connect to the internet again, but I thought I would let you know that for some reason I get what looks like IPV6 DNS when I switch Static DNS off.

I still have TVbox recording/playback issues and I am going to unplug the internet from the back of the box and see if it it gets any better without internet connectivity for a day or two.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

OK.  I've just checked the system to make sure I ordered it, and the open order is showing.  Looks like a delay in sending it to the courier, but it was marked as sent last night just before 8pm.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

crossld
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 9
Hi Karl,

I have not seen anything of the replacement recording box. I have had the returns envelope but no delivery of a box at all. If you have not sent it out yet it may be worth waiting a few days whilst I test the new configuration and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I am still getting issues or if a box arrives.

Thanks
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

20/01/21 TALK TALK BROADBAND upgrade to FAST35

Used phone to CHAT with talktalk:

approx. 13:00 Hi, I am having FAST35 installed today. The internet went off at 7:30am. We have had no phone line or internet all day. Should it be taking this long? Your email said about 1 hr and it has now been 5 hours since it disconnected.

I was told it could be up till midnight before it would work.

13:30 phone line came back still no internet.

19:30ish I decided to rebooted router, no joy. I logged into the router and changed the Addressing Type to DHCP (it was BLANK) and the drop down only had two settings DHCP or STATIC), and the router connected as soon as I pressed apply. You may want to let you tech guys know that this has happened, it is either just a slip of the finger by the techy on the day or a script error possibly if it is scripted.

22:00 TV Box not showing the pictures in the recordings. Still a little giddly and will see what it is like tomorrow after a reboot in the morning.

21/03/21

Pressed and held the on/off button until restart.

Check for software updates. TV box showed update available when I pressed software update.

Box updated to:

Last checked for update 21 Jan 2021
Last checked for apps 121 Jan 2021
Component software 3.7.14 (74a34a)
Manufacturer software 72.48.91
Platform configuration 4741 (b071b7c1)
ISP 2401022

Interesting - ISP config changed....

I can only guess that this is either:-

1) I have changed to FAST35 and FAST35 users are being sent down different vpn's or different static routes etc.

2) That this has happened to everyone and all talktalk users are now on ISP2401022.

3) That FAST35 users are configured to hit one set of servers at Youview and Broadband users hit another set.

Why do I say this. Well this morning after all this my box seems to be a lot quicker and more responsive that it was. I'll have to see how it goes.

Maybe it was my internet speed 8Mbps down and 0.7Mbps up (broadband) or maybe it is to do with the ISP config change (I suspect this). I suspect that whatever servers at Youview I was connecting to were/are overloaded (they may have added some new ones over the past couple of weeks) and I am now pointing at some new servers..... I may be wrong but I think it is a good guess unless someone can confirm.

I'll keep you posted as I will need to test over the next few days.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi

Thanks for the info, I've relayed this to our colleagues at YouView.

I've a replacement TV Box on the way to you and a returns bag for the faulty box.  I'll drop you a PM with some instructions for the return of the old box.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

crossld
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 9

I did have another thought as this seems to happen usually during the holidays and especially bank holidays.

I thought - Maybe there is a person who has to clear some sort of "cache" once a day.  They are the only person who does this and no one else knows.  All they have to do is press one button on the screen once a day to clear some "cache", but they have gone on holiday and no one knows they do this....

It's a bit like years ago before computer equipment was locked in a computer room, once a week we would have a hub outage and it always happened between 6pm and 7pm.  We eventually found out it was the cleaner, they were unplugging the hub to plug in the vacuum and then plugging it back in again when they had finished.

0 Likes

crossld
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 9

Series records:

Tales of the unexpected

Botched

Secrets of your...

Click

Traces

New: The Great....

New: Renecka Mar

New: the Pembroke....

Single record:

The Man Who Fell From the Sky

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Hi Karl,

Device Info

Model DN372T.01.02.P

Software Info

Last checked for update 12 Jan 2021
Last checked for apps 12 Jan 2021
Component software 3.7.14 (74a34a)
Manufacturer software 72.48.91
Platform configuration 4741 (b071b7c1)
ISP 2401011

3th Jan 2021 Channel 4 "New: The Great" 9.00pm to 10:05 Duration recorded 1hr 5m (good)
FAILURES STARTED ON THE 4th Jan 2021
4th Jan 2021 BBC1 "Traces" 9.44pm to 9.45pm Duration recorded 1min (FAILURE!!)
4th Jan 2021 Channel 4 "The Man Who Fell From the Sky" 10:02pm to 11:05pm Duration recorded 1hr 3min (good)
5th Jan 2021 BBC1 "Traces" 9.00pm to 9.43pm Duration recorded 43min (good)
7th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 1pm failed to record (FAILURE!!)
7th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 1:30pm failed to record (FAILURE!!)
7th Jan 2021 Channel 5 "Secrets of Your....." 7.01pm to 8.00pm Duration recorded 59min (good)
8th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 1pm to 1:29pn Duration recorded 30min (good)
8th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 1:30pm to 2.00pm Duration recorded 30min (good)

8th Jan 2021 More 4 "New: Renecka Mart..." 9.01pm to 9.09pm Duration recorded 8min (FAILURE!!)
8th Jan 2021 ITVBE "Botched" 9:01pm to 9:09pm Duration recorded 9min (FAILURE!!)
8th Jan 2021 ITVBE "Botched" 10pm Failed to record (FAILURE!!)
9th Jan 2021 BBC News "Click" 1:30amFailed to Record (FAILURE!!)
10th Jan 2021 ITVBE "Botched" 9.00pm to 9.36pm Duration recorded 36min (FAILURE!!)
10th Jan 2021 Channel 4 "New: The Great" 9.02pm to 9.36pm Duration recorded 34min (FAILURE!!)
11th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 12.59pm to 1:29pm Duration recorded 30min (good)
11th Jan 2021 Sky Arts "Tails of the Unexpected" 1:30pm to 1.59pm Duration recorded 30min (good)
11th Jan 2021 BBC1 "Traces" 9.14pm to 9.39pm Duration recorded 25min (FAILURE!!)
11th Jan 2021 ITV+1 "New: the Pembroke....." 9.59pm to 11.02pm Duration recorded 1h 3m (good)

Also during the past week if I played a recording and pressed Skip forward or pause or stop or back the box would randomly lock up and would have to be rebooted.

Quite often you press a button on the remote and it will take 2 - 5 seconds to do anything.

On "New: the man who fell to earth" that I played today, I held down the ok button to restart the program at about 45mins in and I watched the circle count down from 3 to 2 it then stayed at 2 for about 2 seconds and then went to 1 and the program on screen restarted. The bar on the screen stayed at the 45min position for about 3 seconds and then finally went back to the beginning.

Signal Strength is around 40% and Signal Quality is 100%

I had exactly the same issues between 6th November 2020 to 11 November 2020. A software reset loaded an old version that worked fine and the new version caused issues.

I have tried maintenance mode 1 (software refresh) but do not want to do the others at the moment as I am upgrading to FAST35 next week and I would like to see if it is a bandwidth/latency issue as I guess all button pressed are sent to the youview servers for their "how many people watch this program" sellable stats.

Oh... the other thing I have noticed is if I click on Update Apps, I get We can't update your Apps - please try again later or visit talktalk.co.uk/tvhelp for help.

Update software says I have the latest version.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 9

Hi

With regard to the Recording issue, can you answer the following :  

1. Box model/SW version.
  2. What channels are being recorded?
    • If these are Boost channels, do you currently subscribe to the boost.
    • If they are DTT channels, what is the signal strength/quality on the channels being recorded?
  3. Were these series recordings or episode recordings?
  4. Do any recordings work?
    • If so, what is the earliest recording made that works (i.e. do recordings made prior to November work)?
  5. Are you able to exit the recording via the Back, Close or Menu keys?
  6. Do ffwd / rwd work, or does a playback bar appear when these or pause keys are pressed?

Thanks  

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes