TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I still need TT YouView BOx with Smart TV?

JARSAR
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Hi - thoughts from the community appreciated. 

If I buy a new (smart) TV, do I still need the TT YouView Box?  It seems like an unnecessary extra link in the viewing experience as the smart TV will come pre-loaded with the apps that I currently use via the YouView Box.

Can I use the ethernet cable from my current TT WiFi extender straight into new smart TV?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 1 of 6

If you have a non recordable box then this is the only function you possibly miss. If your box records, then you will have lost the ability to record and time shift.

One other function i did not mention previously is the loss of any films you may have purchased via the TalkTalk app. The TV cannot pick up the TalkTalk app, only the box can.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 2 of 6

Hi

If you have a smart TV with all the apps such as Netflix, amazon and Now TV, you can just use this.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

jon_c78
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 6

Hi, I'm wondering the same.. I am struggling to understand what it is I gain from having the TT box, or what i will lose if I remove it .

I have unplugged it and simply used the Samsung Smart TV, and it only appears I lost the ability to Pause live TV., But maybe there are other things.?

I have Netflix and iPlayer , 4 OD etc all via apps on the TV. 

The youview box seems to mostly duplicate this.

Thanks

Jon
0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thanks for taking the time to respond - really useful, thanks.

I'm actually running the set up for my elderly parents and wanted to streamline things for them.  They don't utilise the full functionality of the box at all - just as an interface to engage with the usual suspect apps for catch-up TV.

Thinking I can take the TT box out of the loop - one less thing for them to negotiate and can just go ethernet from the TT wifi extender straight to TV.

Thanks for yours and any others' thoughts and opinions.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

It depends what you use the box for. Recording is the main feature of the box.

smart TV will only normally come with 1 tuner, so if you plan to use a USB device to record on, you won't be able watch anything while recording.

you also won't get any subscription channels you may have on the TV.

smart TV capabilities vary between makes, so if there are specific aops you want you will need to research them.

Most Smart TV's have Wi-Fi capability.

I find my box complements the TV and vice versa and use both for differing content and reasons.

Your choice, I think.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes