TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview HD Channels Not Working

AKPDM83
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I have a problem with my Freeview HD channels (BBC, C5, ITV). It is almost impossible to watch them because the screen either stays completely black or the picture is scrambled or distorted. It worked fine when the antenna cable was connected directly to my TV.

I have already tried to retune my TV box (which resulted in the HD channels disappearing completely). I have also checked the connections and the antenna cable itself. The only thing I noticed is that the signal strength is around 40%.

I hope someone can help here as I would really like to enjoy HD TV alongside my TalkTalk subscription channels!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

Yes please, keep hole of the newer box.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi,

Just tested the new TV box and signal strength is now slightly better at 43% to 50%. Seems to work for the HD channels. I just noticed that the old box seems to pick up a minimally better signal than the new one. Not sure what overall a slightly better signal but I don't think it has anything to do with the TV box itself. Shall I keep the new box and send the old one back?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 14

Cheers, I will keep my eyes peeled.

Message 5 of 14

Hi

You may get one.  This should be dispatched via courier and could arrive as early as tomorrow.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Thanks. Will I get an email or so with further information?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi

Ok, based on your location and transmitter, that does look low.

I want to swap out the box to rule out a fault with the tuner.

I'll get this out to you now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 8 of 14

Just had a look at BBC One. Signal strength is 39-40% and signal quality is 100%.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi

What is the signal strength for the standard bbc / itv channels (non HD) ?

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Done. Over the last two days, HD were again not working for me. Would be great to check what's wrong.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 14

Hi,

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 12 of 14

Hi

Done that. Reception is now slightly better (Signal strength for BBC One HD is 38%, signal quality is 51%). However, programs still cuts off and is very patchy.

Any other advice?

Thx!

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi

Take the aerial out of the TV box.  Retune the TV box.  No channels will be found, but this will clear the Tuner memory.

Connect the aerial back to the box and retune again and see if the channels return or are better.

Please also check any aerial plugs at the end of the cable are secure and not loose, and check any aerial splitters you may have are corrected correctly.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes