TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Play

Chaucer18
Participant
Message 32 of 32

I have a Smart TV and access Freeview Play via a wireless link from my Router. I have 100% reliability during the day, any of the Freeview play options loading quickly and running smoothly, however in the evening it comes so unreliable you cannot plan to watch any catch up TV. Freeview Play loads very slowly and then runs for a very short time to reload before it runs again but only for less than a minute at a time. Has any one any idea why and how to overcome it.

Chaucer18
0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi

There are apps if you have an android phone, such as wifi analyser that will show any wifi channels around you.

Alternatively, if your TV can be connected via an ethernet cable, you could consider using powerline adapters to connect the TV to the router via the cable method so it would not need ti use wifi.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 32

Hi Karl

I am pleased to report that you have corrected the problem again, since you switched my Wifi channels everything has been perfect, thanks very much. 

If the same happens again is there a way I can find the best Wifi channel for my set-up?

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

Hi

The WiFi is on the best channel now, how is the signal.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Chaucer18
Participant
Message 4 of 32

Hi Debbie

As before it is only the TV when I want to stream something on any of the Freeview Play channels especially in the evenings, exactly as before and Karl overcame it by switching me to a less congested wifi channel, see his messages.

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Hi @Chaucer18  

I'll check the wifi channels around you and put this to the best one for you.

Thanks  

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 32

Hi @Chaucer18  it has been a while, so I have re-escalated this for you.

0 Likes

Chaucer18
Participant
Message 7 of 32

Hi'

I have revisited this topic which I opened well over a year ago and during which Karl of Talktalk resolved my problem (see messages 21 - 25) by changing my Wifi channel. Since he changed the channel I have been able to stream what ever I wanted on Freeview play, when ever I wanted without a single fault. This was until last week when I lost all my Broadband for over a day, and was only re-connected when, on the advise of a TalkTalk Tech team member, I switched off my router for an hour, then switched it back on, I think this resets the router. It solved the broadband problem but has re-introduced by Freeview play streaming problem, being unable to stream in the evenings as before. My guess is that when the router reset it went back to the orginal Wifi channel.

As I am 80 and understand nothing about Wifi channels, I would be extreamly greatful if Karl or someone else at TalkTalk could look at the Wifi channel I am at present using and change me to a less busy channel as Karl did a year ago.

Kind Regards

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

Hi

Glad to hear the freeview programs are working as they should.

I think the issue was confusing for the tech teams because of the TV you are using and the mention of freeview play, things they may be unfamiliar with, when the issue was actually a wifi issue.  

Wifi is very difficult to troubleshoot as this is a local connection from the router to the device within your home, and can be affected by so many things around you, from faulty electrical devices to other wifi transmissions from neighbours etc.

Things can change, and I always find it useful to periodically check for any wifi congestion.

If you have access to any android devices, there is a free app called wifi analyzer that will show any nearby devices using your wifi channel so you can see if there is congestion and select a less congested channel.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

Hi Karl

I am very pleased to report that for the last 10days our Freeview Play has loaded and played with no problems during both day and evenings, so thanks very much for what ever you did. It is the first time since we bought the Smart TV at the end of last year that we can confidently plan to watch a  programme on Freeview Play and watch it without interuption.

What I therefore must ask, if you resolved the problem in a few days why was the TalkTalk Tech Team personnel unable to fix it during numerous Chat line calls and phone calls over a 6 to 7 month period. Most of the time they refused to identify the problem, often not knowing the difference between Freeview TV via an aerial and Freeview Play via Broadband. Can you please ask a Tech team manager to explain and comment.

My Broadband contract is due  for a renewal in a few months and need assurances from TalkTalk that I can rely on them when I have a problem.  As I have had a very poor service for the past 7 months I hope I will be offered a favourable new contract price to reflect my recent problems.

Again, thanks for sorting my problem, and I look forward to seeing any comments from your Tech and contract teams.

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

Hi

OK, lets see how it holds up towards the weekend.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Hi Karl

Thanks, I will keep you updated but for the last three evenings, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we have had no problems which I can't remember happening before.

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 12 of 32

Hi

i've had a look at your wifi, and set this to a less congested channel.

See if this is a little better.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Message 13 of 32

Hi Karl

I have added my home number as requested. 

Chaucer18

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Hi @Chaucer18

Can you add your home phone number to your 'Community Profile'  so that I can look at your connection from here and see if there are any errors or issues showing with your wifi.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32

You are very welcome, I have parents of a certain age, I wish I could come around and help!  🙂

Message 16 of 32

Thanks for your reply and interest in helping an old retired ex mechanical engineer who does not understand things which go down wires and through space. I will await TalkTalks answer.

Chaucer18

Chaucer18

Message 17 of 32

More and more devices are in wireless use than ever and this can cause congestion, especially in the evenings when lots of people are online in one way or another. This could be behind your issue. I appreciate it is difficult to be guided on this remotely. Now that we know a little bit more about your set up let's wait and see what further advice the TalkTalk team can offer. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

Hi

Thanks again for your interest.

I am sorry but I am nearly 80 and do not know anything about SSID's or anything else about WiFi, I just hope that it works like it should do, so I will have to get someone to have a look for me. But if its ok all through the day why does it fail in the evenings when nothing has changed  in the house to affect it, and the TV shows a 5/5 wireless connection with the router. That is the question TalkTalk Tech Teams will not answer.

Chaucer18
0 Likes

Message 19 of 32

OK, I suspect the wireless connection may be the problem, does your TV support both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands? Have you tried splitting the SSIDs in your router as per this help article

You can get suitable lengths of ethernet cable easily and cheaply online, I appreciate that this cannot be a permanent solution, but it is useful to have one for testing.

Another alternative to consider may be powerline adapters, but let's take this one step at a time. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

Hi

The connection is wireless and as they are in different rooms a cable connection is not possible, but my TV Network status shows a 5/5 band wireless connection to the router, even when I cannot load or play anything from Freeview Play

Chaucer18
0 Likes