TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel conned

TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
Message 27 of 27

When I signed up to Talk Talk and had an engineer out to sort things out. He was baffled why the the Youview box was not Wifi. I am disabled. The modem is downstairs. My Youview box is upstairs.  I have been unable to view the box due to no connection. He (the engineer) called Talk Talk and explained that a Ethernet cable would mean much drilling, lifting of carpets and floor boards. Talk Talk told him I would have to pay £85 for a Power Line Adapter/Receiver. I was unaware of this. I can not afford the £85. I do feel conned.

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Yes it is the WiFi extender kit, but it also supports Ethernet connectivity over it. On the Extender unit there is an Ethernet port under one of the antennae.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 27

@KeithFrench  That is the WiFi extender kit. I had one die on me recently and Karl replaced the whole kit having sent a replacement set of PLA's by accident first. This is what the current ones look like although the current model number is DHP-301AV they look identical.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112376738334

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 3 of 27

@KeithFrench are they not the wifi extender kit? I used to have one and as far as i remember only the passthrough plug had an ethernet port, so could not double up as powerline adaptors.

I can't see any powerline adaptors in the store which was why I posted a link to the latest ones I am using, that also connect to the previous model I used.

I have one plug connected to the router that powers (connects to) 4 other plugs and devices.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 4 of 27

Hi @fre55die 

I am looking at the current extender set in front of me now & the network connector does have a mains pass-through socket on it. You can easily see it on the page in the TalkTalk Store:-

TalkTalk | Store ProductDescription

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 27

@KeithFrench 

The current TT pla's don't have a passthrough apart from on the Wi-Fi extender kit. The current ones are 2 identical units. I think that the last TT provided ones with a passthrough that I had were the White ones with 2 LAN ports, these were about 6-7 years old and for some reason no longer supplied as they are great.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

I have just received the TT Transmitter . Free from TT.  Hopefully this will solve all my problems. Thank you to TT and the engineer who have helped me.

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Hi @TheDweezil 

I totally agree with what @Karl-TalkTalk has just said, with one small exception. The network connector unit (the one that is connected directly to the router) does have a passthrough socket on it. I have no idea what this engineer means by you need a transmitter, as Karl said both units are transmitters & receivers - that is the way any powerline adapter works, not just the TalkTalk ones.

Keith

Message 8 of 27

Hi

We can only supply the one type of powerline adapter, we do not have the pass through adapters.  Each adapter is both transmitter and a receiver.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 9 of 27

@TheDweezil that is what I recommend in my post with a link to those i use but cheaper alternatives are available.

Not sure TalkTalk supply these but hold on for @Karl-TalkTalk to advise.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 10 of 27

Engineer called out today. Nice man. He sorted it but said I need a "transmitter" and/or 

a power line adaptor / pass through 

. This is due to not having many plug sockets. 

He is requesting that TT help me out.

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Hi

Let the engineer look at this and let me know what the engineer advises.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Then it sounds like the units must be faulty, I will ask the OCEs to get involved again.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27
When the two units are together I still get the same lights?
As for same electrical ring circuit , I wouldn't have a clue. ???
The engineer is coming out tomorrow so hopefully it will get sorted.
Thanks for your reply/help

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

That proves that the two units are not connecting to each other like you said. This could be down to a problem with one of the two units, or an electrical issue between the two, where they are normally sited.

What happens if you have them both plugged into the same extension lead near the router & the router & network connector connected by the Ethernet cable, does the powerline light come on then?

When you have them in their normal locations, are these on the same electrical ring circuit? 

Keith

Message 15 of 27
The on light and the cable light
ItsaZappathing
0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

What lights are on each of the two units?

Keith

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 17 of 27

Plugging into a power cable extension reduces the efficiency of the plugs. They work by using the power circuit in the house to pass the signal from one to the other.

Unless you can plug into a wall socket then there is no guarantee they will work. Plugging the one nearest the router into the wall may improve the signal but again no guarantee.

You can purchase your own plugs which are called pass through ones that have a socket built in so you dont actually lose the use of a wall socket. These are what I use, but other makes are available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J652QRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 27

I know but it still won't work.

I have to use cable extensions . Maybe that's the problem ? No other choice. !!

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 19 of 27

They should link.

You plug one in by your router and the ethernet cable to the router.

The other goes upstairs and plugs in by the box, with the ethernet cable from the plug to your box.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Received today - two TT adapters. No good. I needed a "Transmitter". I still can't watch my Youview box. I also have no choice but to use an extension lead (other than that it means wires all over the floor, stairs etc). Is there a solution ?

ItsaZappathing
0 Likes