TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-room and the £4 charge

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Got the email about the £4 charge and that I could get multiroom.

So I did as suggested and messaged one of the operators. After three failed attempts to get the service enabled it seems the ONLY route is to pay £50 to get the setup.

Quote "With Multi-room, everyone gets to watch the TV they love. You have the freedom to watch TV in two rooms at the same time, so no more fighting over the remote or missing out on your favourite shows. Our service was £4 a month but we’re removing this charge from February."

So the price is going up by £4 pcm and we get Multi-room, but wait, I have to have a box that does NOT allow recording and I HAVE to have an engineer turn up and install the box all the sum of £50!

I assume the install is sooooo technical it beyond the wit of normal people. I guess the fact that I have several Humax/TT boxes setup around the house and use them for Netflix and other catchup services I need an engineer to turn up and connect the unit to the mains and charge me £25 for this.

Seems the multiroom service will not allow you to pause live TV, nor record something and the fighting over the TV recording will continue.

Very disappointing and short sighted. Please can someone from TT Management advise why we can't do self install if we already have a TT/YouView box, then if we should encounter a problem get an engineer to fix it.

Please TT wake up and smell the coffee....

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!
4 REPLIES 4

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the feedback.

Look forward to day we can switch it on via the account control panel.

It is a pity none of the marketing info advises on the limit that this will be a non-recording box. Perhaps something to feedback to marketing.

Kind regards,

James

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!
0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Hi

Currently Multiroom does not have a self install option.  This is a decision by the business.  This may change at some point in the future as Multiroom has only been an option for a short time, but for now, no self install option is available.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi John,

Thank you for the input.

Why can't we have self-install? We can self-install our broadband (assuming OR dont need to do something) so why not this?

1) Networking - true, apart from the fact I already have two of more boxes setup, plus laptops, other non-TT catch up boxes.....

2) Streams - only if watching two TalkTalk videos hmm not sure, I can already watch 5 or more streaming services (e.g.  two Netflix, two iPlayer/streaming. plus PC's tablets etc) that would only be a limit of bandwidth, which manifest itself with issues. I wonder why recording might make it an issue as that done on the box?

The Licencing angle I could understand but TT have not made anything clear on this angle.

The non- recording box it what TT insist on not my choice!

Personally TT need to wake up and realise that some people would like these options, others don’t need it.

They now charge an extra £4 for TV and include a "free" multi-room option that costs an extra £50! So not really good value and it made me think about my TV usage and I can see me cancelling the TV option as it does not add value to my entertainment experience.

Perhaps this is a poorly thought through process and it needs a serious re-think.

Why can't we, as users of TT turn our TV choice on or off via our account control panel?

Why do we need to ask an OCE or Message an operator, that costs money.

Perhaps one day…..

0 Likes

John_G
Problem Solver
Message 4 of 5

Hmmm yes I understand your frustration.  Just a customer passing comment here...

I don't think the £50 is a money making move by TalkTalk.  Supplying the box, maybe powerline adapters and having someone turn up at your house to get it working probably costs them more than £50.

Why the non-recording box?  By doing so the number of streams is limited to 3 (2 being watched and one recorded), maybe there's a techinical or licencing reason for that.

Why not a self-install?  We know from the posts on this forum that boosts are one of the main area for TV issues, they are sensitive to setup.  Multi-room will be even more complicated to set up.  Could you do?  99% sure you could.  TalkTalk probably just didn't want a whole host of problems to sort out with people's self-installs.

I suppose there's a chance a self-install option will become available.  Virgin's V6 used to be "engineer install only" but now there's self-install.  I think fibre broadband used to require an Openreach engineer at your property but now usually doesn't.

So, yes, I can see it's annoying for you, I can just kind of see why TalkTalk are handling it as they are too.