TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 4k pause and record/replay wont work ...

Teamspottydog
Popular Poster
Message 36 of 36

The box arrived a few days ago ... I followed set up instructions, including installing the latest update.  'Pause' only worked once, then pressing the button had no effect.  I reluctantly (because it involves a 25+ minute job of signing in to all the apps again) performed a reset; same thing happened ... 'pause' only worked once !!!

Today the 1TB USB I ordered arrived, so I tried to install and format it.   The message 'this may take a few minutes' just remained on my screen indefinitely (I lost patience after 35 minutes). 

My hope that the box might be 'plug and play' now seems entirely unrealistic ... it seems more like 'plug and spend hours and hours doing resets, searching the web for answers, listening to Talktalk's terrible music while you wait to talk to a human being etc. etc.' ...     (just like my Eero installation) 

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 36

@Shawn1984 Please start your own topic.

0 Likes

Shawn1984
First Timer
Message 2 of 36

So I tried a USB stick that was rejected, now pause/rewind etc doesn't work. How do I do the necessary resets to get this working again????

0 Likes

Shawn1984
First Timer
Message 3 of 36

So I tried a USB stick that was rejected. So now pause and rewind is not working. How do I reset the box so this starts working??

0 Likes

Message 4 of 36

I am sharing your feedback. We will try to make improvements if we can.

Glad your running but sorry for your stresses.

Please keep posting your trial feedback here or report any personal non-trial specific issues via email to talktalktrials@talktalkplc.com

Teamspottydog
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 36

The Netgem box is now working ... now fully functional !   It's only taken me 2 or 3 hours on the phone or online (over 3 days), and perhaps 5 or 6 resets !   I put in a SanDisk 64gb (after formatting it on my PC) ... and lo and behold, it records and the pause still works !   However, all my distress and frustration could easily have been avoided if the box had arrived with a little set of instructions, which should have included a little 'trouble-shooting' guide which advised you that if you tried to load a USB and the box didn't like it, the pause function would still be disabled after you removed the usb. Also, some instructions might have enlightened me to the fact the the button on the remote marked 'REC' in red does not initiate recording a programme (so why is it there ???) ... recording is initiated by onscreen commands, but these only appear once the box accepts your usb.

I still think that my earlier comment is relevant ... "Talk about trial and error ... they say that if you waited long enough an immortal monkey working on an indestructable typewriter would eventually produce the entire works of Shakespeare ... I wonder if that monkey is available to try all the resets etc. and buttons you have to press to get a Talktalk TV box to work properly ..."

MR JOHN D RUTTER

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 36

Thanks @Lynnes that would be more reassuring if the advice the OP had received from TalkTalk at Message 13 had been on point. 

Message 7 of 36

TalkTalk Customers should not contact Netgem directly; our support agents are available to help. Netgem direct all such contact back in to our TalkTalk Team anyway.

I have raised awareness to the TV Team about this post; so that we can ensure any  agent knowledge updates, instructions, guidelines and help articles are made available or tweaked if / as they need to be.

Thanks all @ferguson  @fre55die  @fr8ys for your assistance throughout.

@Teamspottydog I have asked for someone to follow up with you. I hope you have gotten sorted by now though anyway.

Please keep posting your trial feedback here or report any personal non-trial specific issues via email to talktalktrials@talktalkplc.com

0 Likes

Message 8 of 36

Being 'accepted by the box' has been the problem thus far ... it didn't like the 1tb USB (formatted on my PC) I bought specially;  I've now  ordered a 32gb and a 64gb Sandisk ... I'll try them when they arrive ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 9 of 36

If your USB has been formatted and accepted by the box, the rewind function does work.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 10 of 36

Doesn't sound good;   it's a Sandidk that I have ordered ... I'll just have to see how it goes.   It's not so bad now that I can pause programmes ... but it would have saved me lot of time if I had known that trying to load a USB disables that fuction until you do a reset ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 36

@fr8ys I tried a couple of USB sticks on my LG TV, both Sandisk from Amazon, both failed. Successfully installed an old Buffalo portable HDD I had knocking about, after erasing and reformatting to ExFAT on my Mac. 

@fre55die I don't actually have one of these boxes.  😕

Message 12 of 36

@Teamspottydog Just for your interest I did a full (rather than a quick format) on a 512GB usb stick and it took about 25-35 mins so that could be the reason for the slow format on your box.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 13 of 36

Hi @Teamspottydog 

I too was on the initial trial for the box and my own personal view is it is fine if you think of it as a smart stick (like a Roku or Firestick) for apps, with limited additional functionality, such as watching or recording live TV, recording when the box is off and pause/rewind.

I can only echo what @ferguson and @fre55die  have said in that it is best to let the box do the formatting. I very much doubt if you will need a 1TB stick as the recording is limited to recording whilst the box is off or while you are watching the same channel. There is only one tuner in the box so it is not possible to record one show and watch another. The only way to do this is to have separate feeds from the aerial to the box and your TV. 

USB sticks are notoriously bad buying from "fleabay". I bought a large-sized one to record on my TV only to find the true capacity of the stick was 32gb when I had purchased a 256GB one! Could this be the problem with yours? Its size has been coded in as 1tb but the box is having a job formatting it for use as it can't find the necessary space/sectors?

Another downside with the box is that if you remove the stick and it has recordings on it, chances are it won't recognise the recordings and will ask you to reformat for use. This is also true of a full reset. the stick will need to be reformatted as new. It's for these reasons I'd suggest using a smaller capacity USB as I doubt the recording function will be used as much in the future as you think it will be now.

There is also no need to do a full reset on the box. It does have a soft reset option, which may preserve recordings and not need a reformat of the USB (I've not checked this aspect, but I did use it to bring the apps up to date as My5 was missing initially). To do this hold the button on the left hand side of the box until it reboots or hold the on-off switch on the remote until it reboots. That will save you crawling around!

If you have a PlusTV box I'd suggest you continue using this to record programmes and use the NetGem for the Apps which load a lot quicker and there are more of them.

Hope this may help you decide what to do.

PS @ferguson I'd be interested to know what make and model you finally got working with your LG TV as I cannot get this function to work at all on mine despite buying a few to try!

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 14 of 36

@Teamspottydog 

Don't worry we all know what you'e talking about. If you edit your post you can change it. (3 dots) at the bottom, then EDIT POST. I personally think that addng a 1Tb drive is probably a wee bit big and that is why it's so slow formatting. As I suggested I think that a factory reset may be a good idea. What problems do you have on recording ? Do you have a 128 or 250GB drive to try instead? I ONLY use Toshiba, Crucial or Sandisk drives supplied by Amazon  themselves not a third party seller as there are so many knockoffs.

What do you get when you try to record? Don't forget that this box only has a single tuner WITHOUT AN AERIAL PASSTHROUGH,  so it is limited to only that channel. My first purchase was an aerial splitter so that I could watch a TV channel whilst recording another on the box or have TT now started supplying one now?

Anyway has anything been solved yet? Please advise and I shall try to help you out. A problem with your post is that only about 3 of us have even seen and used this box for real so you are the first enquiry about it and the others are just guessing. Have you ordered a simple aerial splitter yet? Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardware-BH02205-Co-Axial-Aerial-Splitter/dp/B00O7P0MKC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=45M... You will also need an aerial lead to connect this splitter to the TV. This enables you to see the channels on your Netgem and when you switch inputs your TV content on TV. So it's splitter into wall aerial socket, aerial lead to NetGem and second lead to TV.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"

Message 15 of 36

In my second post I apologised for using 'Netgear' in the title ... it should have said 'Netgem,' but I cannot retrospectively change it ...

(I had been on so many websites desperately searching for a solution that I got momentarily confused with identifying my unit)

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

Message 16 of 36

@Teamspottydog 

These were my first additions to the trial which I wrote at the time and may help a bit. https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Support-Forum/INSTRUCTION-BROCHURES-FOR-BOX-AND-SETTING-UP-ALEXA...

I should be inclined to try the FULL  FACTORT RESET and start from scratch. As I said formatting a 1GB stick will be very slow Imo. Do you have any spare 128 or 250 GB drives to try first?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 36

Hi @ferguson 

I am fuly aware of it I jut wasn't aware that it had been released into the wild  yet. What do you reckon on it ????

0 Likes

fre55die
Community Star
Message 18 of 36

Hi @Teamspottydog 

Sorry about the confusion earlier but,  your profile wasn't showing as completed when I posted it. I was on the initial trials of it and wasn't aware that it had now been fully released. Sometimes new triallists have a habit of posting their problems on the open pages where they will not get much if any support.

I have one of these with a 128Gb USB and I find it sometimes frankly weird. Pause doesn't show as PAUSE and takes up to 3 seconds to start "time shifting" as it calls it. I formatted mine on the actual box. If you need to safely eject the USB stick go to settings > Recordings and Storage > Eject USB storage. The really slow times that you see are probably because of the size USB you are using. On mine whilst slow it only took a few minutes to format the 128GB.

The hard drive on the Huawei DN372 Plus box is only 300GB, which lets you store up to 185 hours of live TV in standard definition on the box.

I have no problems using the recording facility myself. What happens when you try? The stick hasn't been write protected somehow has it? When your new stick arrives it may be worth formating it on the box directly and see if that helps. I should try something like one of these as there are so many fake sticks out there https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081DF9HPL/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_196?psc=1&pd_rd_w=IVEuH&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVjhXOVowNzJZNEJOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTE2NzY2R0EwWlNSMUc5Vk9JJmVuY3J...

EDIT DO NOT ORDER ONE OF THESE PARTICULAR STICKS AS THEY USE "C" type USB socket not the normal USB 2.0  "A" type socket which you will need

I am using this which so far was worked flawlessly. : https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ48-128G-U46-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B00P8XQPY4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2I9...

Message 19 of 36

I have made one positive discovery; after another (4th.) reset, I realised that the pause works until you try to install a USB. The USB must disable the pause function, and even if you subsequently remove the USB, the pause function remains disabled.  Talk about trial and error ... they say that if you waited long enough an immortal monkey working on an indestructable typewriter would eventually produce the entire works of Shakespeare ... I wonder if that monkey is available to try all the buttons you have to press to get a Talktalk TV box to work properly ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

Now that I am able to retain the pause facility I am going to wait and try another USB (just orderd another one on fleabay).   I don't understand the 'ejecting' reference; the settings on the screen don't seem to offer any such option, so I just removed it from the box ? (I tried formatting the USB separately on my computer; it stated that everyting was 'available')   Thanks for the links, but they led me to pages I had scrutinised earlier in my odyssey for appropriate knowledge ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes