TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings won't play

EJane
Participant
Message 11 of 11

Hi there

We've recently had some problems with recordings on our Talk Talk box.  When we go into MyTV the recordings are there but they either say Recording Failed or we click on the recording and it just takes us to a black screen and doesn't play.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?  We've tried a system reboot and it hasn't helped.

Many thanks in advance

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi

OK, please let me know if anything changes.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thank you to everyone - I've now done a factory reset and kept my recordings.  So far so good

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

I actually use both on my main TV so I can record more than 2 programmes at a time (when needed)

Just link the 2 boxes via the aerial cables (making sure Antenna out is switched to on in settings) and both would need an HDMI cable. If you don't have a spare port on the TV, HDMI switch boxes are quite cheap.

Anyway good luck!

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Thanks Steve

I'm going to try the full reset later today.  Also, as luck would have it I do have a Humax recorder - just haven't used it since we had the TalkTalk box.  Will dig it out in preparation :).

Yes, I'll let you know how I get on after doing the reset later.

Really appreciate the support.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 5 of 11

The resets i suggested !ay well bring your box back to being able to record.

If recording is important to you, its the only way now you will be able to do so going forward.

If you are eligible for a new non recordable box, if the resets fail, @Karl-TalkTalk will swap them over.

Another alternative is to buy a recordable box from Ebay. I'd suggest a Humax T200* series ot T4000 box. Humax boxes tend to last longer than the TalkTalk ones.

Try the maintenance resets first as the will attempt to repair the hard drive and the full factory reset will repair any bad sectors if it is able too.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi All

I tried the soft re-boot, but haven't tried the other options as yet.  To be honest I've a feeling that the box is just worn out.  Some days it doesn't turn on properly, and if it does, the remote control options are way behind the box in terms of timing.  We also get black screen and sound issues.  Recordings have now not happened for weeks and weeks, and we've generally stopped using the box altogether except to pause programmes when we can get it to work.

I wasn't aware that TalkTalk had stopped providing the recordable boxes - what are my options then, do we just not have the option to record anymore?

I would really like to organise getting a replacement box otherwise I'm paying for a service I can't use properly.  Grateful if you could advise how I go about speaking to someone or ordering a replacement box - ours is very old.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11
Thanks so much, I'll give this a try and let you know how I get on 🙂
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Hi Ejane,

Follow the advice from fr8ys and see if any of the resets help.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

When you say you have tried a system reboot, which of the following have you done?

Have you tried a soft reset? To do this hold the power button on the front for around 10 seconds and the box should restart. Alternatively, you can turn off from the back and power back on.

If this doesn’t work then have you tried a YouView Maintenance Reset (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-find-maintenance-mode/ta-p/1429347)?

Try the Factory Reset keep recording option.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / Set antenna Out to On in Settings: Picture and Sound / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

If all else fails then try a full factory reset from the settings menu. You will lose your recordings but you may be asked to do this before the OCE look at other alternatives., And as TalkTalk no longer provide recordable boxes may be your only hope of resetting the box so you can continue to record.

Hope it works but if not then please let us know so the OCE can check if you are eligible for a replacement, non recording box.

0 Likes