TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Plus Box randomly freezing for 20 to 30 seconds

Theostream10
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I made a series of reports (April to June 2020) regarding my TV Plus box freezing whilst playing back recorded programs (essentially, all hard disk activity stops for about 25 seconds - the box then continues, as if nothing had happened - the recording being played is not damaged, and will play perfectly if you skip back. The other effect is that any recording in progress will not capture that 25 second period, resulting in a very noticeable jump). I have verified that this is an issue with the box, as it still happens when I operate the box disconnected from the router.

I had two samples of the box, both of which had this problem, possibly indicating a batch issue; so I decided to postpone asking for a further replacement, in the hope that I might get one from a different batch.

Last week I had reason to call TalkTalk (my broadband connection was failing), and when they asked me if I had any other issues, I raised the problem of the box. They checked and told me that this was now an acknowledged problem with the box, and that they were in the process of sourcing a different box. Do you have any information on this (particularly how, and when, it is likely to be rolled out to affected customers).

My box will typically freeze at least once a day, and it has frozen as many as 4 times in an hour (if you lose 25 seconds of crucial dialogue from a recording you are making, it can be a real pain). The box it replaces did not suffer from this problem.

Thanks for any information you can give

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi

Can you try the full factory reset from the settings menu, then try making some test recordings.

This is the last option to try before we replace the box.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi Karl,

Subsequent to my post, the box has developed a new fault (again, random in nature). When coming out of Standby mode, the box sometimes thinks it has no spare disk space (0% disk space indicated in MyTV window). This means that, when automatically coming out of Standby to make a scheduled recording, if it thinks it has no disk space, then the recording will fail (I had 5 scheduled recordings yesterday - 4 of them failed). Another effect associated with this fault condition is that, in the MyTv window, your successful recordings are shown, and you can select them, and the timeline indicates that they are playing and are of the correct duration, but the picture is black and there is no sound. The only cure I have found is to power down, and re-boot the box (it took 3 attempts yesterday to clear it). Frustratingly, this is the same fault my previous box had, and was the reason I purchased this replacement.

If this fault persists, it is going to make this box pretty useless as a PVR. Does your response  mean that I am now stuck with this box until an alternative is sourced?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Our teams are looking at options for a new box for the future.  We have no details as yet, but will advise all our community if we hear anything further.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes