Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TV Youview fault

ANSWERED
26 REPLIES 26
PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

I contacted Talktalk last Friday as my Youview box was not working.  After a long fault-finding conversation I was told I needed a new box and that this would be sent to me to arrive at the beginning of this week.  Tomorrow I will have been without my TV for a week and no box has arrived.

This is the second time in a matter of a few months that the box has malfunctioned and on each occasion I have lost all my recordings.

Help please!

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @PoppyRossi 

Could you possibly expand further on what is not working so that it can be further investigated.

As Talk Talk are no longer supplying recording boxes from here only the non recording boxes, have you tried a Maintenance reset option 2 as follows :

Maintenance Reset Option 2 (Keep Recordings)

Turn the box off, then unplug the power lead for about 10 minutes.

Re-plug in power  lead.

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2  “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted.  If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / ANTENNA OUT / Surround Sound etc.) and also probably reset your scheduled recordings (It might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

If you do NOT have any recordings that you want to keep :

Blue YV /Menu button on the remote  >  Settings  >  Factory reset. This option will re-format the hard drive and reinstall the system on your box and you will lose all recordings.

Again It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi PoppyRossi

Follow the advice from fre55die and let me know if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Thank you - I have done this - hence why I have lost all my recordings.  I had a long conversation with your chat assistant last Friday who insisted the problem was with the Youview box and s/he would have one sent out straight away which should have arrived earlier this week but so far nothing has arrived. 

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

The problem - the box was not connecting to the internet.  I suggested it may be due to the powerline adapter but the assistant assured me the problem was with the box - that problem could be seen from his/her end.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Hi

I had already done this after troubleshooting before I contacted Talktalk.  The chat assistant insisted the problem was with the box.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Sorry - I should add that there is only one light on one of the adapters and none on the other.  the internet is working fine for my computer.  I have tried pairing the adapters without success.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Hi 

I have done this more than once with no result.

I am now without TV over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Could someone please help me with this problem.

As I have mentioned, there is only one light on the receiver powerline adapter and none on the other.  The internet is working OK for my computer.

Thank you in anticipation.

ferguson
Community Star
PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Hello again,

I have tried this twice - the result:

No lights on the adapter near the modem (flashed green briefly bit stopped when I released the  button).

The centre and left light on the adapter near the TV are lit green - not flashing.  No light on right side.

fre55die
Community Star

@PoppyRossi 

Is there any way that as a temporary fix you could connect a long RJ45 lead between the box and the router to check that this is the fault? I notice that 20Mtr leads are available for free delivery tomorrow from Amazon on Prime from about £7 if you can't borrow one from elsewhere.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Thanks

What would be the more permanent solution?

Is it easy to by-pass the Youview box and just have normal terrestrial TV for the time being?  Don't want to cause any more complications.

P.

fre55die
Community Star
Solution

@PoppyRossi 

Yes, just plug the TV aerial lead directly from the wall socket into the aerial socket on the TV. It may need a retune if it hasn't been used recently.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Thanks again,

Could some new adapters be sent out please?

P.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

P. S. not sure if you guys giving help are Talktalk staff/volunteers .... so not sure if you could send adapters.

fre55die
Community Star

@PoppyRossi 

@OCE_Karl  Is on the case for you and he will be able to authorise and arrange for a pair to be sent to you. I can't authorise sending them but, when he is back on Tuesday I am sure that he will arrange them for you. They usually arrive in 24-48 hours by courier when organised by him, wheras chat etc. tend to take a lot longer to arrive.

If you can connect a longer RJ45 cable between router and box neatly it is probably worth doing it permanently as Power Line Adapters are not terribly reliable in the long term. These leads are available in most lengths from AMAZON, Just check that it's got the Prime label on the descriptions for next day delivery AND CHECK THE RATINGS/REVIEWS for the item.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @PoppyRossi 

The OCE's are staff (who can order replacement items) and the rest of us are long term customers with mostly technical backgrounds who know most of the tricks having come across most problems and know most of the quick fixes.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi again @PoppyRossi 

I have escalated this for you so it should be picked up by @OCE_Karl  first thing on Tuesday as they are not officially working in Bank Holiday Monday.

One thing does intrigue me, you said that you lost your recordings doing the suggested maintenance reset OPTION 2 which specifically keeps your recordings and just reloads the operating system and as I say KEEPS

your recordings. Most of the other options will reformat your hard drive so you do lose recordings with those.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter

Thanks again,

When I did both options of the maintenance - the first to keep recordings and when that didn't work I did the other option.

Not sure what happened to the box the chat person was going to send me - the chat was early afternoon on 23 April in case you can check that back. However, I read on another post that Talktalk boxes no longer record so I'd prefer to keep the one I have that does record if that's possible, so hoping the problem is indeed with the adapters and not the box.

I will look into the cable you suggest but it will be a bit awkward - taking it under the floorboards.

fre55die
Community Star

@PoppyRossi 

Are they both in the same room ? On my original installation many years ago the engineer just drilled a small hole in the bottom corner of the wall to get the RJ45 lead from where the router is to the location of the box. If it's in the same room they also make the leads in flat profile to "hide" more easily.

Subsequently this has proved very useful as I have added a simple Tp-link ethernet switch to feed my Smart TV, a Roku, box and several other things in that room as well as the TT box.

Anyway hopefully a pair of PLA's should be with you by Weds. or Thurs.