TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV box crashes

Hiltophouse
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Hi 

My TV box used to have to be hard rebooted every so often (every few weeks/months), that was managable....

Now it seems to have a more major issue.. 😞  it works but after a few hours it crashes again i.e. not responding to most commands. Most the time it crahses the Freeview picutre still works but does not change channel via box or remote. No other menus either.

I've completed Maintenance Mode - Factory Reset but still occurs.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 2 of 18

Hi

Have you tried the full factory reset from the Youview settings menu.  This is the next option if the Maintenance reset does not resolve.

The factory reset will wipe the hard drive and set this back up in case there is any corruption etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18
Will try that. Anyway to backup recordings...?
0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi

No way currently to back up recordings, but this is the last stage before replacing a box.  In that eventuality, recordings would be lossed anyway.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

This morning I factory reset the box,deleting recordings from the Boot menu (didn't realise then that your note said from the Youview settings), all worked intially so I left it until tonight, but later tonight I was not able to pause TV. 

I then thought I best do it from the Youview Settings, so done that tonight, full reset from YV settings, but within about 30 mins of set up I was unable to pause tv again.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi

OK, next option is to replace the box and see if this helps.

Another box is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 7 of 18

Thanks Karl. How do you send replacements, is it Royal Mail? Would you have a tracking number as yet please? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi

We use UK mail and Royal mail.

I'll drop you a PM with the Tracking number.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Brilliant, its due this evening.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

No Problem 🙂

Glad it's going to arrive promptly.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Been using the replacement box over Christmas and had been mostly behaving (the old one had really died)

I've had to hard power reboot a few times due freezes which was a bit disappointing as I was hoping this was a sign of my previous box getting old. 

Today however it was freezing on my recording screens and we lost a number of recordings from that screen....we had 2 pages yesterday and now not even 1 page full. Had to hard reboot but still recordings are missing. Software reset and then maintenance keep recordings still didn't bring them back 😞

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi

If this has failed, can you try the full factory reset from the youview menu.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

I've done the full factory reset from the Youview menu on Tuesday, obviously that wouldn't bring back recordings from Christmas.

Why would reset need to be done on a new box only days after receiveing ? are they refurbished boxes? 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi

If there was a corrupt recording that was gumming things up, only way to clear and re-set the hard drive fully would be the factory reset.

Now the reset has been done, try a few sample recordings and see if they play back ok.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi, A further update since the factory reset on my replacement box….. I’ve had 2 more recordings disappear. Also had the box fail to pause tv tonight, it just went to black screen and then to the main channel preview screen that you get at power on.

This one seems problematic as well, are they new or refurbs? Maybe a duff drive....

Please can you arrange a replacement. Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Hi

I'll get this swapped out and we can see if it is the box.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 17 of 18

Thanks.

When you have it please can you send tracking info so I can ensure somebody is in.  

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 18

Hi Hiltophouse

You should receive the replacement TV box within the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes