TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to record/recordings not playing on You View box

jamesaunderwood
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Last weekend we had a significant powercut, since then I have been experiencing issues with my You View/TalkTalk box.

- any previously recorded programmes now do not play, just goes to a black screen

- when I schedule a record or record live TV, it doesn't, showing up in my recordings as 'failed to record' and with a black box instead of show picture

- ITV Hub wouldn't load (although I did a maintenance reboot and that has come back on), other streaming services ok but a little sluggish

- I have deleted some programmes from the planner, including those as 'failed to record' but the available space hasn't changed (still 10%)

- I was recording at the time of the powercut and have deleted that programme too

I did contact TalkTalk yesterday through the online support and despite looking at my purchases through TalkTalkTV (of which there were none to start with) and after recommending a reboot said they were unable to help with third party sites which confused me a little.

The forums and advice on here does seem to be very good however, so needless to say I wish to avoid losing all my recordings, I just wondered if there was any other advice before I have to do the factory reset?

Thanks,

James

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 1 of 5

Great news. Pleased it worked.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

jamesaunderwood
First Timer
Message 2 of 5

Just as a reference point for anyone who finds this thread and has a similar issue - I did the factory reset and although I lost all my recordings the box is now working fine and able to record/play new recordings. All the apps also stream too. The reset has at least seemed to do the trick.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this, from what I have read I sensed losing the recordings is the next step, so I guess I just need to bite the bullet. My contact has expired now,  so perhaps the timing may work in my favour.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

If you have already tried a maintenance reset, keeping recordings, then the only other option is a full factory reset.

The maintenance mode tries to repair issues with the hard drive without reformatting, but is, sadly usually unsuccessful. The factory reset will format your hard drive and if its repairable, the box will then function again.

Please note that if you are eligible for a new box, should the reset not work, TalkTalk now only supply non recordable ones., So it's best to try all alternatives if recording is important to you.

Good luck.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).