TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various You View issues

desthemoaner
Team Player
Message 34 of 34

Hi All

First post.emoticon.cooldude.title

Generally pretty pleased with the YouView setup, but just lately its started giving us problems. Sometimes the remote simply fails to work, and the only way to solve the problem appears to be to turn the YouView box completely off via the button at the rear and back on again. Today my wife was infuriated because whilst advancing a recorded programme to avoid adverts, the remote failed and she had to sit and watch the programme fastforwarding to a conclusion. When I had a look at it,  the MyTv feature showed that we had no recordings, despite also telling us that the recording library was 90 percent full.

This issue was also sorted by turning the box off and on again.I've changed the batteries on the remote but its continued to fail occasionally. 

Any ideas, anyone? Dying box, maybe? 

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Hi

No Problem 🙂

Glad the new box has helped.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Box has been returned.

Just to confirm that so far we've had no problems since installing the new box, so it would appear that our original unit had developed a fault. 

Many thanks for all your help. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hi

That will be ok, Just send the box back.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Would that be OK?

The info that came with the new box seems to suggest that I'll be charged if I don't return everything that came with the old box, including the remote. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Hi

You can keep hold of the old remote if that helps 🙂

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

New box received today and set up, many thanks. I'll put the old equipment in the post for return tomorrow. 

Just one issue...although the new remote has been synchronised with our TV, the TV power on/off (top left) button on the remote doesn't work.

With the original YouView remote you turned the TV on or off using two presses of the power button. With this new remote I've tried one press, two presses, holding the button....nothing.

We still have the old Toshiba TV remote which we can use to turn the TV on and off, but we've kind of got used to having one remote that does everything. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Hi

At present there is no option to transfer recordings.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

Many thanks for your quick response, Karl. Looking forward to getting the new box set up. 

One question: I assume that recordings are stored on a hard drive in the box, so they'll no longer be accessible if the box is replaced.

Is there any way of transferring them from the old to the new unit? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Hi

OK, next option is to swap out the box and see if it is failing.

Replacement on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 10 of 34

Unfortunately, my relief was premature.

The box and TV have been on standby for the past couple of hours, and I switched them on about 10 minutes ago. As was the case immediately after the maintenance reset,  the result was a blank screen on all channels with just the channel number in the bottom corner. The programme guide worked, insofar as allowing you to scroll through the choices,  but channel selection was not enabled. 

I turned the box off using the button at the back, then powered on by the same method and now the box and TV are working OK.

I need further help, please. emoticon.sadtears.title

0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

New router arrived yesterday, all set up.

The remote control problem hasn't occured since the reset, so I think thats sorted. I also think the quality of the picture has improved slightly, and we haven't had the fresh issue of the blank screen showing channel numbers and nothing else since the middle of last week. So I think I can now mark this as Best Answer. 

Many thanks again. emoticon.cooldude.title

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Thanks again.

I'm sure I can get into the habit of leaving the box on overnight, but being someone with a risk averse attitude to electricity I won't go so far as to leave it on when we go out.

Hopefully yes, the new router will enable us to get back to enjoying YouView without further hassle. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

Hi @desthemoaner

OK that is your choice, No problems but, as I said though, any box updates usually happen overnight.

Hopefully the new router will solve the problems EH !!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Thanks for that.

The router is permanently powered up unless we go away for any length of time. The TT box is turned off at night and whenever we're out. Whilst I understand the stresses it might put on the box by doing turning it on and off regularly, I prefer to disconnect it when not in use for reasons of fire safety.

However, I'll bear your advice in mind and ensure the box is left on standby wherever possible.  

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi @desthemoaner

Just one thing, I noticed that you said "I switched on the TV and box at the wall socket yesterday afternoon". Ideally the TT box should be left permanently connected and in standby mode at all times unless you are going away for say a week or so as a number of updates are sent overnight and it puts less stress on the box components because when it starts up from having been unplugged it goes through a number of checks and processes before being ready for use.

The same applies to the router which also should be left on at all times as if it gets disconnected often this will show up as errors/faults and could slow down your speeds.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

Again,  many thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

Ok,

Lets see if it is the router first as thats the most likely culprit.  

Karl,

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 18 of 34

Hi Karl

Many thanks for that.

I've been using an ethernet cable directly connected between router and box ever since we received our YouView equipment, and there's never been a problem like this until the maintenance reset the other day. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

Hi

I've a new router on he way to rule that out.  Are you also using powerline adapters or a direct connection to the router ?

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 20 of 34

A further update, Karl.

Since posting earlier on,  I watched channel 20 (Drama) for about half an hour,  changed to the BBC News channel and was confronted with a blank screen and channel number, no sound or picture.

Turning the box off at the back and on again has solved the problem, but there's clearly something still wrong. 

0 Likes