TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView Box not working

AlexRT565
Chatterbox
Message 1 of 15

Hi,

our YouView box is several years old and has been slowing down for ages. I have followed other posts on here for resetting it and so on. The other day it completely froze on ITV3 and the remote wouldn't work.

I switched off at the wall and waited before restarting. No change.

I switched off at the box and waited. No change.

I followed posts on this community page and went to 'maintenance mode' and did a software download but it has never recovered and when it restarted it got stuck in 'wake up' and now just says 'loading'. It's been like this since Saturday.

Do we need a new YouView box? This one is definitely getting on a bit and now is not working at all.

Thanks,

Iris

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Karl-TalkTalk
Community Team - TT Staff
Message 2 of 15

Hi

A replacement TV Box is on the way to you.

This should arrive within the next 48hrs.

Regards,

Karl.  

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Many thanks @Karl-TalkTalk 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi again,

we set up the new box, followed instructions etc and everything was fine for the first 24 hours, the TV seemed to work perfectly, no freezing etc as we had with the old box.

At night we turn the box off using the remote which we have always done. However in the morning when we switch on the box we are encountering a problem. All the channels are blank! We tried switching off at the button at the back of the box and waiting, no change. We switched off at the wall and waited, no change. We then retuned the channels in the Settings menu.

The first time we did this it said that no channels were found. (We checked internet connection, all ok). We immediately tuned the channels again, and all the channels were found. Hoorah! The problem was fixed.

But, the next morning, when we turned the box on (using the remote, as usual) exactly the same thing happened again! So it seems that if we turn the box off at the remote (which presumably we should be able to do at night when we go to bed?), the next day, we have to retune all the channels to watch the TV, and we have to retune them twice, because the first time always shows that no channels were found.

In addition when we switch the box on it always says "Waking Up" which we only noticed on the old faulty box when we reset it or it was going wrong. It never said "waking up" when we just switched on from the remote. I have no idea if this is an issue or not but thought it was worth mentioning.

Help much appreciated please.

Thanks,

Iris

0 Likes

DENNIS17
First Timer
Message 6 of 15

Our youview box is very unresponsive,  I've changed the batteries in the remote control and switched the box on and off and reset, nothing helps. Getting very fed up with paying for something that doesn't work.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

Hi Iris

Can you try a full factory reset from the settings menu, then set the box back up and let it fully update any software.

Then see if the box does the same thing tomorrow.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

Hi DENNIS17

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi @Karl-TalkTalk 

I did a full factory reset and set up the box again on Monday and wanted to try it for a few days to see what would happen. It's fixed the problem in the morning, in that I don't have to retune the channels every day, but throughout the day I could be watching a channel and the screen just goes blank or freezes and I can't get off that channel. When the screen goes blank it still shows the channel number but there is no picture. If I scroll between the channels then they are all blank. I usually end up switching off at the wall and leaving it a few hours. When I come back it's usually fixed but then goes again a while later. When it freezes, the picture stays but when I change the channel they are blank.

I've checked the internet connection each time but that appears to be working. I've restarted the router at a different time to make sure but internet is fine.

I didn't have this problem with the old box except the freezing issue. The blank channels is a new thing. 

Help appreciated please.

Iris

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

Hi

As this is a new box, I'll also get a new router out so we can make sure this is not failing.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 11 of 15

Hi @Karl-TalkTalk 

the new router arrived and we set it up and have tried things for a few days. For the first day it seemed that things were better and we weren't experiencing blank channels and having to retune all the time.

However, the same problem is back, and when we retune the channels, the first time it says there are zero aerial channels. I then immediately retune again which seems to work and all the channels are there and the tv comes to life again! We are doing this a few times a day to be able to watch TV.

Unfortunately this seems to be a problem with the new box that was sent out as although the old box kept freezing (it was very old), we didn't have problems with the channels.

There is also another new issue with recording on this new box. When we try to record a few different things can happen; 1) it knocks the channels out, so we have to retune 2) it says it's recording but isn't 3) it says it's recording and appears to be, but when you try to watch back it says "failed recording" or it's only recorded half the programme.

In some way I think I preferred the old box as it was just freezing, now we have all these additional problems!

I am quite happy to watch TV from the aerial but the only thing I want is a recording facility. I have found that I can buy a TV with built in freeview and a USB recorder which would mean that I don't need TalkTalk TV as this is all proving very frustrating and time consuming.

I am happy with TT phone and internet, but if I were to drop the TalkTalk TV do I have the option to opt out monthly or do I have to wait for my contract to expire?

If you have an idea of what could be wrong please do let me know and info about opting out of TT TV as well would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Iris

0 Likes

bjordan
Team Player
Message 12 of 15

Just spent ages on Talk Talk chat about my box failing to pre-record programmes & also the box not responding to the remote. The adviser says she did tests & there was nothing wrong with the box!!! She suggested it was a reception problem & I should contact an aerial engineer. I tried very nicely to tell her the problem is the box so she suggested I could buy a new one for £50!!!

Come on Talk Talk please help me out.

Thanks

Brian 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Hi Alex

The only option we have would be to replace the box.  To opt out of TV etc, or for the cancellation of any part of a service, call our customer loyalty teams and they can look at this for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 15

Hi Karl

Thanks for getting back to me. I think a new box is the way to go to hopefully resolve the problem.

By the way the name's Brian not Alex.

Kind regards

Brian

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi Brian

The reply was to Alex the OP.  I've replied on your thread separately.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes