TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview Box Retune 2nd May 2018

bearpeje
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 13

Hi,

Did anybody else have an onscreen message yesterday ?

When I switched on my Youview box yesterday morning, an onscreen message told me that I would need to retune my channels, today 2nd May, but that I would receive further info.

This morning, there were no further messages, but I found that many HD channels were blank, only 101-105 and 204 were working properly.

So, I did a Retune, resulting in 130 and 78 channels found. The Blank HD channels had disappeared from the list all together. Select any of them on the remote, and it just says 'No Channel'.

I have to say, that at this point I contacted Live Chat, and had my worse experience ever with that facility.

After explaining, I was told that they would need to do diagnostics. They asked me to select the TV Guide on my remote, and then asked me to confirm what was selected next to the blue dot. I confirmed 'All Channels'.

I was then asked if I could now see channel 107. When I answered why would I, when I hadn't changed anything, I was then told that 107 was an internet channel ( No, It isn't), that 107 was only available on a player, and that it was incompatible with Youview !

I ended the Livechat 😞

Does anyone know about a planned retune today please ?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi fre55die

It is not a question of a poor signal making a channel unwatchable, it is that, even with the new aerial fitted, the new frequency that the group of channels are now on, is being transmitted at a much lower power.

Hence they are not being picked up, even with the new aerial.

I have a mains powered TV signal booster, and have tried it, with no effect.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

@bearpeje

I don't live in a city and after first visit from FREEVIEW aerial installer the signal was unwatchable in my upstairs rooms !! Called FREEVIEW who registered the complaint and sent them back and they installed an aerial booster !! Touch wood all working brilliantly.

As I said, providing that you could receive the channels before the changeover contact FREEVIEW with a complaint.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
0 Likes

bearpeje
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 13

You may be right, that this is unacceptable, but it is the reality for those of us in urban areas, and not in City locations.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi @bearpeje

This is unacceptable the update is at least 3 years away. Contact FREEVIEW again !!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
0 Likes

bearpeje
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 13

Just as an update,

They replaced my aerial for free, but the signal strength was still too low, so I have lost the moved channels.

The engineer said they will change again next spring, so there is a chance I may get some of them back.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

I have marked the Best answer, as the engineer came yesterday, and sure enough they are replacing my aerial free of charge, as it is not able to receive the retuned channels. He also advised my neighbour to contact Freeview to arrange theirs to be renewed at the same time.

Many thanks for all responses 🙂

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi @fre55die

My Youview box told me to retune when I switched it on this morning, so full of hope, I did so.....

Still no Com 7 channels 😞

My hope is that they will decide if my aerial isn't up to it next Thursday, and replace if necessary, but I will still retune daily, in case, as you say, they are just not alerting us to problems with the transmitter.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi @bearpeje

I am in Crystal Palace area and lost COMS 7 & 8. Freeview sent out an engineer who confirmed that my aerial was no longer capable of receiving the frequencies that these were now being broadcast on, they made another appointment and replaced the aerial free.

They will prvide it free providing that you don't have satellite or cable.

Looking at the site it appears that the transmitter has been off air until this afternoon. "it would seem that com 8 on channel 56 has been off air since Wed evening, I phoned Freeview helpline to query and they confirmed it.
Their suggestion was that I do a manual re-tune on that frequency , a bit daft since there was NO signal to tune to, however the signal returned about 4pm today
It would be nice if problems like this could be flagged better to prevent viewers rushing to replace aerials and/or down-leads. we used to get a message on-screen informing us of signal problems or engineering work, as it was all websites continued to say there were no faults or work on Rowridge."

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Rowridge

Message 9 of 13

Thanks again,

I checked with my neighbouring flat, and they have lost the same channels, with a different aerial.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

One of my fellow CS's got a new aerial out of them, not sure how or if a similar situation to yours.

Can you advise @fre55die?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Thanks fr8ys,

I will try the Tune without aerial connection idea.

I have found that the Com 7 group of channels have disappeared from both my Youview box, AND my Freeview TV. The Com 7 group are the channels that have changed frequency on the Rowridge Transmitter, that triggerred the need for today's retune.

I have contacted Freeview, who are sending an engineer next week on Thursday.

Either way, it certainly seems to be a Freeview glitch, and not Youview. However, I'll leave this topic live, and report back next week in case anyone else has the same issue.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

There have been retunes going on across the country recently (London was last month when I have to retune).

You should be able to check here for your region - https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges

This is info for today

2 May 2018

Area – Upavon
Transmitter group – Mendip (Upavon)

Area – the Salisbury area
Transmitter group – Salisbury

Area – Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, parts of Dorset, Wiltshire and West Sussex
Transmitter group – Rowridge

Hope this helps. If you still have missing channels I suggest try another retune. If that does not work, remove the aerial and retune so none show, and then try again.

If still does not work then post back and I'll escalate for you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes