TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview TV Box aerial not working

SamGreen
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi all,

I have an issue with my Huawei DN360T Youview box which the online chat help seems not to have a clue about.
I installed the TV box with the supplied aerial and am able to find 61 TV aerial channels however I wanted to situate the TV further away than the cable allows. I have tried several cables, some smaller cables piggybacked together and some longer cables of various sizes. However using any but the 1.5m cable included with the box, no channels at all can be tuned.

I understand that a longer cable will mean a weaker antenna strength however I cannot believe even with a short cable, this can be the case. Is there a specific category or specification of cable the Huawei box requires?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi

If you have tested the cables directly into the TV and no signal is received, then there could be a break in the cables or some other issue.

You can try a signal booster to see if this helps, but if there is an issue with any of the cables or joints in the cables then this may not resolve.

If all this fails, we can only advise that you seek the assistance of an aerial installation engineer from the local paper / phone directory etc.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 2 of 7

I have tried with the two longest cables I have into the TV and the normal terrestrial channels have no signal so I assume it must be a problem with signal and the box just cannot boost the signal enough, even with smaller cables.

I am living in a basement flat of a large terraced house in London with a rooftop aerial wired into my flat.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to boost the signal as Talktalk chat has been very unhelpful and I assume if there is a solution using the box alone, I cannot find it.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi Karl,

Both the box and TV will be situated further away from the aerial socket. The aerial cable will give access to TV channels if plugged in directly but it is not a smart TV so I cannot test any of those functions.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Thank you for you help! Much more useful than my experience with the online chat help.

I have tried several proprietary cables of various sizes but that does not work either.

If I plug any one of the cables directly into the TV I can receive a signal and can watch terrestrial channels however if I plug the cable via the box and turn aerial out on then I do not receive the signal. Clearly this is an issue with the box however the chat agent has said it is a problem with the signal or reception and then locked the chat so that I could not reply when I asked to speak to a manager.

How should I progress with assistance or a complaint considering I am no longer able to use the chat function?  

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Hi Sam

A standard coaxial cable should work as long as it is directly connected to an external aerial.

When you say you want to situate the TV further away, do you mean both the TV and box will be together but further away from the main incoming cable location ?

If so, if the aerial cable is connected to the TV directly does this pick up any channels ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

That sounds strange. The length of cable for the TV signal should make no difference, unless the length is very excessive.

A single cable works best but there is normally an aerial port within the property that the lead to the tv or box plugs into, so will, of necessity have a join.

Any coaxial cable the requisite plugs should work. Sometimes home made leads have issues when the internal and external cores are not separated correctly and cross arcing, causing signal issues.

What happens to the TV signal if you plug these leads directly into the tv, bypassing the box?

Do you have the aerial plugged into the box first, then looped from the box output to the TV? This is the recommended setup as the box tuner is normally weaker than the TV tuner. You will need to have turned Antenna Out, within the picture and sound menu in settings to On, so the TV also gets a signal.

Hope these suggestions help you find the cause and a solution.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes