would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Additional device set-up

ANSWERED
24 REPLIES
VicF47
Team Player

I wonder f there is someone out there who can help me set up some peripherals with my TalkTalk box.

1. I have a Samsung TV set with in-built Freeview that allows me to select different input sources, TV, HDMI, Ext 1, Ext 2.

2. I have a roof mounted aerial with co-ax connection to TalkTalk box and a co-ax connection from TalkTalk box to TV, plus HDMI conection between TalkTalk box and TV.

3. For normal use I select the "TV" option (TalkTalk OFF) and get what I consider to be near perfect reception for all Freeview channels except those showing "Data Service" (for which I assume I need a smart TV)

4. For catch-up TV, On-demand players and TalkTalk 'specials' I select the HDMI option on the TV and have the TalkTak box ON.  This seems to work OK, I can select catch-up from the Guide, see the On Demand Players, record and replay programmes etc.

5. I have recently discovered that I cannot select all Freeview programmes in TalkTalk and therefore cannot record them.

6. Before I had TalkTalk installed I had a VHS/DVD player-recorder and a HDD/DVD player recorder with built in Freeview. When TalkTalk was installed (or possibly when the TalkTalk box was replaced/upraded) these previous devices were disconnected whithout me realising it - I have only recently discovered that I can no longer play DVDs or VHS tapes.

7.  This is the nub of the question: Can I connect my previous devices with the TalkTalk system?  Can I just connect the devices in series, co-ax to co-ax and HDMI to HDMI? Does it matter which is first in line - i.e. which one should be closest to the incoming co-ax aerial.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Vic F

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Yes you can.

The aerial connection is best to go as you have it currently direct to the TT YouView box. Then take the antenna out socket & connect that to the antenna in of one of your other devices. Then take the antenna out of that one & feed this to the next. Finally, take the antenna out of that one & connect to the TV. For this to work though, the antenna out must be enabled within the TalkTalk box, but by the sounds of it, that has already been done. Then connect each devices HDMI out of the devices (or SCART) & connect these to the TV.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

VicF47
Team Player
Thanks Keith, just what I had hoped. Regards Vic French - (Those French's get everywhere!)
VicF47
Team Player

Thanks again for your help Keith.  I am OK with the co-ax connections to ANT In and ANT out - I just need to make upo a couple of cables, but now I come to do it I realise that I only have a single HDMI socket on the TT YouView box and one only on the LG HDD/DVD recorder/player so I can't daisy chain them.

I have two HDMI sockets on the Samsung TV = HDMI 1 (STB) which I currently have connected to TT box (STB = Set top box ???) and HDMI 1 (DVI = ???) which currently has the cable fr

om the LG recorder/player, but since this isn't working I am not sure that it is in the right place.

In addition to HDMI out, the LG recorder has 2 SCART sockets: AV1 (Black) and AV2 (Decoder) which is Blue in colour. My old Hitachi VHS/DVD player has only SCART sockets - AV1 (marked TV,but also in same moulding DVD/VCR)and AV2 (marked Decoder but also in same moulding VCR)

So now I am totally confused! Do I just daisy chain the Co-ax cables and connect HDMI outputs from TT box & HDD to HDMI 1 & HDMI 2 on the TV "as is" and connect the VHS to TV with SCART - (socket on TV marked "EXT (RGB)")

TIA

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Vic,

I only meant you to daisy chain the co-ax nothing else. Each HDMI needs to connect directly to the TV's HDMIs. From the way that I understand, on the TV:-

HDMI 1 - TT YouView box

HDMI 2 - LG DVD

You should always use the HDMI where you have a choice of these & SCARTs, as the case with the LG DVD. You may have to select which one the DVD uses within the DVD itself, maybe that is currently set to use the SCART as its output to the TV?

Connect the VHS as you suggested to the TV using the SCART. How are the SCART sockets on the TV labelled EXT sounds OK, but not RGB?

I don't think you mentioned the model number of your Samsung TV, if you could let me know it, then I could look it up & be more precise.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

VicF47
Team Player

Hi Keith,

Thanks vey much for the update.

I have got the co-ax linked through and TV reception is fine, albeit both the HDD & VCR devices need to be plugged in with power on (although not necessarily switched on at the set itself) to enable the connection, otherwise I get a "Weak Signal" message.

I have connected the HDMI cables as suggeted - TTV is fine.  I am struggling to get the HDD recorder (LG RHT497H which I bought in Dec 2011) to talk to me, but it has just occured to me that I probably need to set the TV input source to HDMI 2 first - I will try that when I get a moment.

I have yet to find a SCART cable for the VCR (Hitachi DV-PF4E(UK) which I think dates back to about 2004) - I am not sure that I ever had a SCART cable and possibly used a S-Video cable (but can't find that either).  So, either way, I will have to get a new one before I can try get ting this to work again - I suppose no great loss if I can't.

By the way the TV is a Samsung UE32J5 100AKXXU which is about 3 years old - see attached file for connection layout.

Thanks again for your help

Vic French

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Vic

Some devices disable the co-ax out (the TT box does by default but yours seems to have been enabled). You may need to look at the HDD & VCR may have an option for this in their setup, or it could be a power saving option that needs to disabled. If you have a strong enough signalfrom the aerial you could try a Y splitter, but they do introduce attenuation in the circuit.

Yes you would have to set the TV to HDMI 2 to see anything from the connected device.

Keith

VicF47
Team Player
Thanks,
I'll let you know how I get on in a day or two.
Vic
VicF47
Team Player

Hi Keith,

Sorry for delay. but wife has been in hospital so I am only just getting round to sorting this out.

My previous efforts at connecting my devices was not succesful. 

I was reasonably happy with the Co-ax loop through and in TV mode got a decent picture on all channels, except PBS America which gave a weak signal message.

Then in HDMI 1, and the TT box ON, again TV reception was OK, as was BBC iPlayer, but when I tried to use catch-up TV to watch the Mexican Grand Prix, on the All 4 Player, I got a message about not being able to watch the program on my TV because the system could not launch program content protection. This may or may not be related to the additional devices because when I unplugged them and reverted to the usual TT box & TV set up the message appeared again and I had to reboot the TT box - this was succesful as far as watching the GP but I have not tried to repeat the exercise with the devices attached.

Even after selecting HDMI 2 I could not communicate with the HDD/DVD recorder - not even open and close the DVD draw (it just said HELLO when power was on).

Now, before posting my query about device set-up I also added a comment to a post by someone else about missing channels and Fre55die replied to me also mentioning using a splitter, but I am confused.

At the moment I just want to connect the TT box and TV and ignore the HDD & VHS devices to see if I can get the missing channels. 

I have what I think is a splitter, with one male connector and two female connectors. I assumed that the main aerial lead would fit the to single male connector (with a female adaptor) and then there would be separate leads to the TT box and to the TV.  But there is only one Co-ax socket on the TV so where does the output from the TT box go?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick!

Vic

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

You posted that you had consolidated your posts here so a couple of quick answers for you.

The unpowered splitter goes into the wall socket, you then run 2 MALE TO MALE aerial coax leads, one to the TT box and one to the TV. No out aerial lead out FROM the box, turn off the Antenna Out on the TT box. You use one aerial lead for each independantly and separately. The Audio and Video signals from the TT box are via the HDMI lead.

The reason that I suggested the splitter was because you said that you could watch a programme on the TV but when you turned on the TT box it disappeared suggesting some signal drop or interference when the two were sharing an aerial lead.

I often get the warning that you saw on the TV if I have left the TT box on and been using the TV to watch my NOW TV box, just click down on the remote to "back" and press OK on the remote and it clears on mine.

I have included a link to the other post that you posted on so that Keith and myself have the full picture in one place.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/You-view-box/m-p/2269965#M130553

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fre55die
Community Star

Hi again @VicF47

How is your wife?

The instructions that I have given are to initially just set up the TT box and TV. When you feel adventurous just post back on here. As I said you may well need a powered splitter for running the extra equipment, as it sounds like the signal strength is a tad on the marginal side and if a splitter costing about £15 solves it then this is a lot cheaper than an aerial installer.

You can connect the splitter in the way you suggested but, it means an extra lead.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

I can't add anything currently to that information provided by @fre55die.

Keith

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

How's it going ? Any joy. Keep us updated as now that we have the full picture we are in a better position to help with the complete problem when needed.

I have some ideas which may help with both sets of problems when you are ready.

How is your wife doing ?

VicF47
Team Player

Hi fred55ie & Keith,

thanks for your patience and good wishes.  Wife is on the mend, but back in hospital today for planned surgery for something entirely different - so I have the day to myself!

I think Phase 1 is now complete - missing channels now back.

For info' I have a powered splitter/amplifier with three outlets: upstairs bedroom, front room downstairs and living room downstairs.  This is mounted in the roofspace and connected to a Digital TV aerial that is probably less than 10 years old.  The TT box shows signal strength at 60%-63% strength on BBC1/BBC/ITV/Channel 5 etc., and 100% signal quality.

So, I tried using a splitter that I had, and tried that without using the Ant Out on TT box.  DTV signal was OK but TT on HDMI 1 was poor with weak signals.  I have now bought myself a new splitter for £1.99 and tried again - initially with out much success, so I went back to the RF loop through with Ant Out enabled.  Again DTV signal was good, but TT on HDMI was still poor on some channels.  Having found the YouView Settings page I saw there were lots of other options and decided to retune.  My channel count has now increased from 149 to 155 and Dave (Channel No 12) and PBS America (Channel No 94) are now fine.

Since it looked like I had got a full range of channels including the missing ones back, I tried using the splitter again - this time with success.

So as I said, Phase 1 complete, now to look at the additional devices, although apart from DVD facility, these are now less important as I can record through the TT box.

I think what I will do to start with is try to set up the LG HDD/DVD in stand alone mode without the TT box, just to make sure I can communicate with it, then I can try linking in the TT Box.  I will keep you posted!

Many thanks for your help,

Vic

VicF47
Team Player

Hi Guys,

Further to earlier post I am having no success at all in communicating wit the LG DVD/HDD device.  I have tried both direct aerial connection and via splitter but cannot get a signal response from the device.

Currenty I have aerial connected to a splitter and a cable to the TT Box and another cable to the LG device with a cable from the TV to the LG Ant Out socket.

In TV mode (RF loop through LG device) I get decent reception.  In HDMI 1 mode I get decent access to TV channels through TT box.  In HDMI2 mode I get zilch!  "No Signal message" - check cables and source, etc.  I have tried swapping the HDMI cables between TT box and LG device but no change, and no difference if I remove TT box and link LG device through HDMI1.

In effect all I can do is switch the LG device on and off.  When 'off' there is no display on the device, when 'on' all I get is "HELLO" scrolling through the dispaly panel. I think I can swap between HDD & DVD modes (no physical indication but the 'No signal' message disappears and then reapears a few moments later), but I cannot get the DVD tray to open using the control button or the remote (new battery in remote).

The LG user manual says that "When the 'POWER' is turned on for the first time or when resetting the unit the clock will be set and channels tuned automatically"  This isn't happening and there does not appear to be a physical reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Vic

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

The news about your wife sounds good although needing surgery for something else is always a bit of a dampener.

There should be nothing plugged in to the TT box aerial out with the splitter so the Antenna Out on the box is doing nothing.

Do you want me to do you a simple plug lead A into socket B style step by step guide to setting up your system as you want it to work (hopefully) to its optimum ? I have downloaded the handbooks for the devices that you quoted the model numbers for so I have a view of all the inputs/outputs of them. One thing which isn't clear is whether the Hitachi DV - PF4E (UK) DVD/VHS unit can receive digital TV signals as there is no mention of a Digital Tuner in the specifications only a pre-changeover tuner ? If it doesn't receive digital signals then no aerial lead will be needed as the analogue transmitters have all been turned off. It will require you spending about £15 on a 4 socket powered splitter/booster in the room as it sounds as if your signal is marginal. I don't know which area you are in but I get 161 aerial channels. Let me know if you would like me to do this for you.

fre55die
Community Star

VIC try unpugging it and holding the power button in for about 5 seconds, replug in the mains and hold the power button for about 6-7 seconds

VicF47
Team Player
OK, tried that. Unplugged device from mains, held on/off switch down for about 5 secs, re-plugged mains and held power switch for 6-7 secs. Only change from previous (and that may just be due to lower ambient light conditions) is that a 'blank' clock appeared with no numbers. When I pressed the power button on the remote the "HELLO" message reappeared, but still no signal on HDMI2, but DTV works OK on RF loop through the LG device.

Ant Out on TT box not used, and loop through disabled

I will re-read and digest your earlier message and respond to that later

Thanks for your help,
Vic
fre55die
Community Star

Hi VIC try holding the button in for 5 seconds again to reset the box. Until you've got a decent aerial connection set up the box can't run through setup !! The clock picks up the time from the broadcasters You won't get as many channels on the LG box as I don't think that it's a full HD tuner in it. Does the DVD tray open when you press eject now?

From the instruction book :

"The Power does not turn on

Check the mains cable is plugged into the Unit and mains outlet securely.

Try resetting the unit by holding the POWER button for FIVE seconds."

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @VicF47

To get a picture and sound to work HDMI 2 is by default set to DVI connection for use as a computer monitor.

Try pressing menu on your remote go to System In System click down to DVI  in there you should find a setting for video on demand or VOD select this and press enter. See if that fixes it. If not contact SAMSUNG on 03307267864 they are open until 10.00 pm weekdays, I'm not sure about their weekend hours. I have 4 SAMSUNG TV's and have always found them really helpful but it is best if you are in front of the TV as they will take you through any steps to solve the problems.