Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

All sorts of problems with Youview box since update

14 REPLIES
SpikeyJohn
Popular Poster

I've recently been having all sorts of issues with my Youview box, such as screen freezing during live TV, not being able to fast forward/rewind live TV, recordings not completing (or not recording at all sometimes), recordings not ending meaning I can't do anything with the box unless I reset it, TV guide not working - I could go on.  This all seems to have started since the Youview box was updated a couple of weeks ago with the fancy new operating system.  Is this just a coincidence or is anyone else getting these issues ?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SpikeyJohn

Hard drive may be failing or Software update may have failed. What's the box DN360 or DN372?

If you can get into Settings, far right of YouView button start menu, you could scroll down to Software Information and see if you can force a software update.

As the power off re-boots do not appear to have resolved the issues you could see if Factory Reset works BUT this will delete recordings made and scheduled.

If still faulty go onto Livechat and request a replacement.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

SpikeyJohn
Popular Poster

Thanks Gondola.  I suspect it is a hardware failure, I've had a couple of boxes previously that have had to be replaced due to similar issues.  This one has lasted a good while without any problems (a previous one failed after a few days), clutching at straws I guess what with the new software upgrade. I'll try and force a software update later and will use the factory reset as a last resort as I have loads of recordings I've yet to watch.

Coco1
First Timer

I'm having similar nightmares since update, never really had problems before tbh. I'm reluctant to phone because the reviews of customer service are horrendous! If rebooting will lose my current recordings I might as well consider changing suppliers! I'm no good with technology, but what a stupid time to upgrade the YouView box..over xmas! Currently catching up Itv hub cos of failed recordings, and even that's pixelated and freezing. Changed batteries in the the remote which is continually sluggish..also have to keep switching box off at the back, like you I could go on😡

ferguson
Community Star

@Coco1 You should start your own topic here so that you can get individual support.

@SpikeyJohn I have moved your thread to the TalkTalk Tv section, let us know if you need any further help.

SpikeyJohn
Popular Poster

I tried the factory reset which hasn't rectified any of the problems, in fact now I seem to be unable to do anything even something as simple as change channels is now impossible.  I guess I will be taking Gondola's advice and requesting a new box via live chat.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Coco1
First Timer

Did this get sorted? I encountered similar problems with mine, but only after TalkTalk updated the the same box you had. After a few weeks of problems since their update, I came on here to search for problems, also Facebook and Twitter as I was convinced others must have had problems since update I assumed update was nationwide! I had some response from TalkTalk on Twitter but then resorted to phoning which I dreaded. After half an hour of explanation, she informed me that a new box had been ordered already as apparently it was faulty, had no problems before update though🤔 New box has arrived, but unfortunately all my recordings have gone😡Xmas TV ruined but fingers crossed 🤞🏽 things will be ok from now on

SpikeyJohn
Popular Poster

Hi Coco1,

I went onto livechat and tried (several times) to explain the problems I'd been having.  After about 45 minutes I had to give up as it was taking too long and the guy just didn't grasp what I was trying to tell him.  I asked for the number for tech support and was about to call the next day when I noticed an email saying my "Talktalk order" had been delivered to a neighbour.  It seems someone (finally) realised my box was faulty and they sent me a new one.  Although the livechat was painful, the new box arrived next day (even though I'd not even asked for one !).  But, like you, I've now lost months worth of recordings. I've been a Talktalk customer for many years now and this has happened to me before, although this box lasted over two years before failing.

evanspeggy
First Timer

Yes we are also getting problems ( since the new down load) which we never had befor very frustrating,please bring back the old settings we new our way around everything, it was great for my husband who is not very technically minded.

susanannbridger
First Timer

my tv buffers every time I try to download a program, on any channel ,  it is infuriating hI ave tried disconnecting every thing and starting again but nothings changed!!!!!! Still buffering! Any ideas what it could be please ? Many thanks 

Blakey59
First Timer

Absolute garbage, on 3rd box in about 8 months. Current box problem is that when trying to watch recorded programme screen is black, no sound either. Have to shutdown and reboot, this did the trick over last 3 days but not tonight. Feel like throwing out the window as I know a new box means lost library.  Very frustrating. Any ideas anyone?

cmoore2889
First Timer

I joined TalkTalk less than one month ago. I have three Youview boxes that have been giving problems since TalkTalk loaded their software onto them. I have told them to take their software off, which they say they cannot do. They say I must do a factory reset and then not place the boxes back on the network to stop their software reloading - ridiculous! I agree with the comment on here that their customer service is HORRENDOUS! I spent over 1 hour today talking to someone who just kept going round in circles and would not accept the problem. I also spent time previously talking to a another person who sent an engineer out today who said he shouldn’t have been sent in first place and said he could do nothing. I asked him to raise a complaint. I received a text shortly afterwards saying that my issue was now solved.

ferguson
Community Star

@Blakey59 You have posted on old thread here, start your own topic and we can try to help.

GGfedup
First Timer

GGfedup

Seems I’m experiencing all (and I mean ALL) the problems since upgrade as Gondola, spikeyjohn, et al, so really fed up. Tried to fix things factory reset etc but nothing works. Seriosly thinking of giving Virgin a try! I’mnot very technical but can often solve probs with help of forums.  I just want a system that works when i turn on for early morning news or record (entirely) late night programmes etc. And have a good backup service which, reading other posts, is seriously lacking.  Re. Replacement request.  Is there a charge for this?    This is my first ever post so i hope iw works.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @GGfedup

You have posted on an old solved problem so thid being picked up is unlikely.

Could you please start your own thread for support as each problem is individual and needs investigating separately.

Could you please also ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.