cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

BBC iPlayer freezes constantly

5 REPLIES
Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

I am having problems with iPlayer and other apps that are Internet sourced, such as ITV Hub etc, on my tv.

Every few minutes the picture freezes and I have to either shut down the TalkTalk box and/or shut down and restart my router (often both).

I can watch iPlayer on my computer without any problems and I can watch Sky Sports on my TV (I use a boost).

My TalkTalk box is connected with a yellow cable to a 'TP-Link' repeater, but as I say, SkySports works OK and my broadspeed is quite good, it is often around 35 - 41 mbps.

It is getting to the point where it is impossible to watch these type of programes/apps.

Can you help me?

Community Team

Hi

I've updated the router firmware, can you retest and see if this helps.

Thanks

Karl. 

Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

Hi and thanks for the response.

I have just watched a program lasting for an hour and although I didn't have to turn everything off and start again, it 'stuttered' for approximately thirty or forty times.  The lengths of the pauses was between five to fifteen seconds. Not very easy to watch :(

I don't know what I'm really talking about noq, but it gives me the impression that something is blocking up and everything stops until whatever it is gets cleared away.  Like in the old days when you had to clear the temp file until the cache was free.

Anyway, that's what's happening now.  BTW, I had a 35-37 broadspeed.

I don't know if this makes any differences but as I said earlier, the TalkTalk box is connected through a cable attached to a TP-Link.  But as I said, I get good pictures from Sky and obviously that is on the same cable.  I can't see a way of checking the speed from the TP-Link because the only laptop I can attach to the cable works on Windows 10, and that won't work on the TP-linl

HTH

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Watch, buffer, circle, resume. Watch, buffer, circle, resume. Watch, buffer, circle, resume.

This is a known problem which is being currently investigated by the BBC and YouView team.

The problem is also highly intermittent and so doesn't affect the majority. As such, its a hard one to nail down. But its not your box, speed, or connection.

Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

I watcheda programme last evening for about one hour and there were no stutters at all.  Perhaps this has done the trick, I'll try and watch another soon and let you know.

Cheers

Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

The service is now much better, not perfect but watchable.

Thanks for your help...