cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Bt sport only a trial channel?

64 REPLIES
Nomes80
Team Player

I upgraded to fibre broadband to ensure sufficient line speed then I signed up with bt to get bt sport channels on my talk talk TV box. Activation  charge paid. No bt sport available on activation day... 

Bt then tell me that the availability of the bt sports channels through my talk talk box was only a trial offer???!!! I got my money back but that doesn't solve my issue of a grumpy fiancee wanting to watch the footy now the season has started again!!

Has anyone else had similar issue??

Is by sport available to all talk talk TV customers????

Do I try again?

John_G
Conversation Starter

As far as I'm aware, BT Sport is available to all TalkTalk broadband customers with a TV box and download speeds of 6Mbps or more.

Probably worth giving it another go, you could try the BT website:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/get-bt-sport-on-talktalk/

It works for most people.  Sometimes it doesn't and then it's a pain (but not impossible) to sort things out, but let's just hope it works.  Smiley Face

Good luck.  

Nomes80
Team Player

I have also tried online using the link you provided but my talk talk telephone number is not recognised online as well as when I speak to advisor on  the phone.... I have checked my number and I am definitely using correct details...

John_G
Conversation Starter

If you're using the phone number read back to you when you dial 17070 from your landline then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.

It looks like BT's number database may be out of sync with TalkTalk's numbers in use.  Getting TalkTalk and BT to bang their heads togehter to sort that out would be a challenge.

Still a chance a real expert like @OCE_Karl or COO @CharlesB could sort things where I have failed.

Even more odd as BT sold you BT Sport before (admittedly with issues) so presumably liked your phone number then.  Oh well, sorry I wasn't of more use.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nomes80

Re: Get BT Sport on TalkTalk (Click here).

I've just checked the BT Sport site for TalkTalk customers and it is working, at least for me, as I can get up to the point of actually placing the order.

When you click on the above link that takes you to the page where you select either a 12 month or 1 month option. 

1. Make a choice of product first - pink button Get BT Sport on TalkTalk.
  2. Next it takes you to a page that asks Are you a BT customer?  Tick No.
  3. Next you're asked to put in your telephone number AND Post code AND confirm you're the account holder or have their permission to continue. Press Continue
  4. Next you select your address from the drop down address list
    Double check that address list to make sure your address is listed absolutely correctly and that it isn't listed twice with different variants - it should be identical to the Postal Address / Electoral Register and the same as the address you have recorded with TalkTalk
    If it is listed twice try each in turn and then try putting in the address manually
  5. The BT system will then attempt to identify your line and address for checking eligibility.
    Remember that your broadband speed must be above 6Mbps to be eligible to buy BT Sport on TalkTalk.

At what point does the ordering system fail for you? Is there an error message? 

If it's simply that the address matching doesn't work it's down to two things a) The BT database has missed off your address (there have been missed addresses on their database) or b) The database has not recorded your address correctly.  This can be corrected by TalkTalk using ORDI which is an Openreach tool to correct the address error and link the adddress to your telephone number.  The important thing is to get all addresses listed exactly the same as the Postal Address / Electoral Register.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls
Nomes80
Team Player
@Gondola
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have tried again and when I select that I am not a bt customer and input my landline phone number and postcode it does not recognise my phone number... I was however able to continue with the order, selecting my address etc... supposedly the order has gone through but time will tell if it actually works as when I tried several months ago it went through and the problem only became apparent when the channels never activated and bt cancelled the order.
I will speak to talk talk about the open reach tool that you mentioned to ensure my phone number is linked to my address and on bt databases etc....
John_G
Conversation Starter

Well that's good progress!  Smiley Face

What happens if you try to view a BT Sport channel such as 408 on your TalkTalk TV box now?

If it says the channel needs to be "set up" then let it do that.  You'll either get the channel working after the "set up" (Smiley Face) or get dumped to a screen telling you that you need to subscribe (loud crying face).

Usually boost channels activate within a few minutes but if it doesn't work maybe give it 24 hours before suspecting the worst. 

Fingers crossed...

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nomes80

Well, that's a promising kick-off.

What now happens is that BT tell TalkTalk they've activated BT Sport for your telephone number.  TalkTalk have that number linked to your account so will activate at their end.

Now, what John_G is hinting at is that, in the past, this hasn't always completed properly at the BT end and BT have to be asked (sometimes VERY firmly) to deactivate and then re-activate your subscription. Then it works.

So, see how it goes. With luck it'll take you all the way from kick-off to the final whistle rather than just a Red Card to BT!

Nomes80
Team Player
@John_G
I'm still.getting the subscribe screen!!!
My bt account online tells me that there is a delay on order and an advisor told me that some information was missing from order but to wait 24 hours, someone will call me back tomorrow to check if it's working.
This is all feeling identical to the last time I tried to get bt sport on talk talk so I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.
There seems to be an issue with my landline phone number... not linked to address on database possibly??
Visionman
Wizz Kid

Nomes80,

From distant memory, I seem to recall this problem is to do with the type of exchange your line is on and if it is LLU, or unbundled from the BT network, as it were, one can't have BT Sport.

Gondola
Community Star

@Visionman

Entirely wrong. TalkTalk LLU customers can receive BT Sport.  The only qualification is a minimum speed requirement.

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Thanks for that, Gondola. I was working from distant memory. I have seen this problem before, but not for years...

Nomes80
Team Player

Still no BT sport!!! I have fibre broadband so the linespeed is not an issue.

Is there anyway of finding out if talk talk have been contacted by bt to give me access to the channels?

Perhaps @OCE_Karl can help me????

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nomes80

It's already flagged up to the OCE's but before we get to them checking the back end systems have you been given confirmation of your order by BT and a BT ID so you can log in to BT Sport?

Nomes80
Team Player
Yes i have my bt id to log in. When i log onto my bt account online it says my order has not progressed as expected and that there may be a delay. No detail as to the issue however...
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nomes80

"After signing up to BT Sport, BT will email your credentials." That's what should happen and BT Sport should also advise TalkTalk of your telephone number which is the only thing that TalkTalk need to know to deliver BT Sport via the TalkTalk network servers to your Broadband line.

So, it's a bit of a guessing game - if BT haven't finished processing your order - have they or haven't they notified TalkTalk to send BT Sport to your Broadband line?

I'll try and get this expedited by seeing if someone from TalkTalk will contact BT Sport directly to confirm you're a BT Sport customer and set up your reference details with BT Sport.

At the end of the day all they need is the ok to start sending BT Sport to you and an inter-company reference to keep track of your subscription with BT Sport.

Nomes80
Team Player
Thanks @Gondola
I think the problem might be my telephone number. When i placed the order bt said it wasnt on their database but he order still went through with my address and postcode etc. Not sure how to fix that though!
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nomes80

No TalkTalk 'phone numbers are on the BT Wholesale database.  This is perfectly normal. 

BT Sport have to check the TalkTalk database if they wish to query 'phone numbers.  But quite why they don't just take your word for the number! 

It's why when TalkTalk customers order they have to enter a post-code and select the address for the line check to go through.  The line check is matched up with the Openreach database and works fine so long as Openreach have got the address listed correctly.  This is where mismatches sometimes happen and the BT system thinks there's no line to the address and ORDI then has to be used to correct the Openreach data.

Have you downloaded the BT Sport app to a mobile or tablet to see if you can login and see BT Sport?  i.e. that they've taken your money and activated your subscription?

Nomes80
Team Player

@Gondola

Yes, i can watch on my phone/tablet via the app... i just cant get the channels on my talk talk box. 

I can get other boosts on my box such as sky sports/movies ok. Just not BT Sport...

Gondola
Community Star

... well that would indicate that they have completed your order so what's needed is for the OCE to check on the BT Sport subscription at TalkTalk's end.

What you want to see is the BT Sport channels in the TV Guide - the EPG

• On the box remote, select Guide - Are the main BT Sports Channels showing in the EPG? 408 - 411
  • Select channel 408, any joy?
  • Restart the box by holding the front power button for 8 seconds until the lights change.

Troubleshoting questions:

1. Are you using a TalkTalk supplied router? What model is it?
  2. Is the TV Box directly connected to the router with the supplied Ethernet cable?
  3. Are you receiving any other TV Boost channels like the Sky Starter Pack?
  4. What's the ISP Configuration number of the TV Box - With Box remote select Main Menu / YouView button, select Settings, scroll down to Software Information and select that. ISP Configuration is bottom left.
  5. Whilst there, Update Software and Update Players & Apps

An OCE should pick up soon and chase further.