cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Buffering on BBC Iplayer

8 REPLIES
bernieyorks
Wizz Kid

In the last few weeks the Iplayer has become unwatchable as it keeps buffering. It didn't used to do this. I don't use other players and usually use the BBC one for music. If I watch the Iplayer on my computer it is fine. Has a software update caused this? Nothing else has changed with the system.    

KeithFrench
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

Please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

Next can you also go to this speed checker:-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

bernieyorks
Wizz Kid

The line has been sufficient for the Iplayer to work for years without buffering. it is also adequate to dowload data to provide a perfect picture and sound for Sky Sports, which I have via TT.   

KeithFrench
Community Star

If you do not answer my questions, how can I help you?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

bernieyorks
Wizz Kid

I'm a pensioner and can't do a lot of want you want - I don't know how. I want it fixed. If I could do it myself I would have done so already. It used to work fine - the same line works for Iplayer on the PC. The same line delivers SKY SPORTS. Surely that means the line is OK. 

I want someone to fix it please. I pay my money I want a sevice. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

I was simply trying to help you.

I will pass this now for you to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and they will investigate it for you.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Community Team

Hi bernieyorks

try a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 4: Keep Recordings).

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

Set the box back up and see if Iplayer then works correctly.

Thanks

Karl. 

bernieyorks
Wizz Kid

I started doing the above and it said I would lose all my recordings so I stopped. Next day I tried the Iplayer and it was fine and has been so since. I saw somewhere that BBC and TT were aware of a problem with this. Have they fixed it?  

Community Team

Hi

BBC have been investigating a possible Iplayer issue, but not all are affected, and we will look at other possible causes.

Thanks

Karl.