Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Confusion over £4 increase

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I got the email, and thought I wasn’t meant to have any increase in cost for the duration on my contract, turns out this only applies to broadband cost not tv part, thought this was a bit sneaky so contacted customer services. Then found out I could opt out but keep my current tv package. 80 channels, PVR, on demand players. So turns out all good for me but I think it’s a bit underhand charging extra for services that don’t apply to me and putting the onus on me to opt out. And I think saying in the email you are free to opt out of TalkTalk TV at any time suggests you’re going to lose all your tv which isn’t the case. This will no doubt lead to people just sucking up the £4 increase. If anyone cares to disagree I have my customer service chat transcipt.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I agree the whole thing is quite bizarre and I have never heard of anything like this before - being charged a fee simply to access telly that you then have to pay for. And further, to unilaterially apply the fee to people who do not currently use these services and make them have to phone or chat to get it removed. As I said, I have never come across anything quite like this before.

And I agree the letters (I got a snail-mail letter, not an email for some reason) have turned out to be quite misleading and without the help of posts here, I would not have had a clue what the £4 charge was actually for or the consequences of asking for it to be removed.

My elderly mother, who once had a TalkTalk box but it has long since (5+ years) gone and she instead has a Freeview TV with built-in catch up services, would not have stood a chance understanding what the fee was for or subsequently getting it removed if I had not sorted it out for her.

She would have been paying £48 a year for absolutely nothing and one has to wonder how many other people are going to be ending up in that position.

F.

Highlighted
Chatterbox
On the plus side, for paying an extra £48/year she woulda got £5 off a film rental lol!!!!
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

I'm sorry If the initial letters and emails have not explained sufficiently.  The TV Access Fee is an encompassing charge for TalkTalk TV Services.  Many other provides such as BT, Virgin and Sky also have similar charges for their TV packages.

We are able to suspend the Fee for a customer account on request by removing the TV product if this is not required.

Please do let me know if this is something that you want me to assist with.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Karl and thanks for your reply, but it’s all still very bizarre.

pay £4 a month to save £4 on new “free” multiroom + box cost

pay £48 a year to save £5 on a film rental?

who wouldn’t opt out (in my situation)

just to make it absolutely clear for anyone reading my post am I right in saying I can’t get access to

multiroom

A tv boost

rent or buy a film

without paying the extra £4?

Highlighted

Hi

You need to pay the TV Access Fee to be able to have multiroom (as this is now included), access to add and remove TV boosts, access to the TalkTalk TV player and on demand content for the boosts and access to the on the go option to watch boost content via the web or the Mobile app.

If you do not wish to pay the £4 charge and have the TalkTalk TV service removed from your account, then you will have :

Access to Freeview channels - with the ability to record these.  Access to non TalkTalk players such as BBC Iplayer. Access to TV Store to rent and own movies.

No access to TalkTalk TV services, so no TalkTalk player or Boosts or Mobile app etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Thanks for that Karl but my goodness TalkTalk could’ve written a much clearer mail shot.
Highlighted

Hi

I'm sure our management teams will be looking at this and take any feedback onboard. 🙂

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi

I'm sorry If the initial letters and emails have not explained sufficiently.  The TV Access Fee is an encompassing charge for TalkTalk TV Services.  Many other provides such as BT, Virgin and Sky also have similar charges for their TV packages.

We are able to suspend the Fee for a customer account on request by removing the TV product if this is not required.

Please do let me know if this is something that you want me to assist with.

Thanks

Karl. 

That may be the case but there should be no reason for sending the letters to customers who are Broadband and Phone only and who don't and never have subscribed to the TV Service.  To send letters to such customers is totally unacceptable.

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Here’s my take on it, I think when people read “TalkTalk TV” and certainly in my case, they think this is the TV part of their TalkTalk broadband tv telephone package, where as it’s a chargeable (now) product within the TV part not the whole thing. I think if this was made more clear there would’ve been less confusion but anyway thanks again for your time Karl.
Highlighted

Hi Stevendm

Feedback has been given, and our senior management teams  do also read through these forums so will be aware of customer sentiment regarding the recent communications and will take all feedback onboard.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

I did not know other service providers charge a fee for not using their services, so fingers crossed I do not get a letter through the door telling me they will each be debiting me £4 a month also, with the onus on me to cancel the charge. 🙂

Fingers crossed, we are all sorted, as I have been on with the Chat folks but my 'complaint' still stands that it is wrong that I have had to. But thanks for your offer of help - appreciated.

F.

Highlighted
First Timer
They did the same with free sim card and learnt nothing. TT victims will leave in droves when renewal comes.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I did not mind so much about the phone, which always to me was too-good-to-be-true, so I took the view it was nice while it lasted.

It was annoyingly time consuming and further, the transfer went wrong for me as the account was not set up correctly with 02 the first time so I had to go through it all twice, but we got there.

But this £4 charge is a different kettle of fish as it is being applied to people who do not use the service and the communication about it was both confusing and misleading. Meanwhile, the chat operators who we were told to talk to, to get the charge removed, were also confused and mislead some customers further.

All so avoildable, but on the brightside, we all seem to be getting sorted and the TalkTalk staff here are forever helpful - which is always a saving grace.

F.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Stevendm they told me I would lose it all Apart from freeview

Kieran