Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email "We Notice your TV Box isn't connected to the internet"

27 REPLIES 27
muggsy14
Team Player

Had an email this morning stating "We noticed your TV Box isn’t connected to the internet, which means you’re missing out on many benefits included in your package. But we realise there are a few reasons..."

Considering my daughter is watching Netflix as we speak, I wondered if this was just an error, or perhaps due to a Network problem, as when I do a Status Check is says "there's a problem with our network" (although there doesn't really seem to be.

Any clues?

- If you build it, he will come -
Community Team

Hi

Not sure why you have received this email, I've had a quick look at your account and all the usual TV stuff is present and correct.

I'll feed this back and have someone look at the criteria for triggering these auto emails, but it may not be until after the easter weekend.

Thanks

Karl. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Karl 

I had the same email myself this morning.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi

fr8ys also had this email.  Let's see what our contacts advise.

Thanks

Karl. 

muggsy14
Team Player

Yes, it is odd as I've never received one before, and the connection to the YouView Box (by Powerline Adapter) goes down a few times each night, especially when watching Netflix or BBC iPlayer and it's never once generated such an email thank heaven, or it'd be pinging emails at me constantly haha!  In those situations I turn it off for 5 seconds at plug and turn it back on.

Freda
Wizz Kid

I have received it too and my box is also quite cheerfully connected to the internet.

Harmless perhaps, but incorrect emails like this confuse the hell out of people as well as causing upset for those who are less technically able. During a holiday period too.

Someone needs their knuckles, very gently, rapped.

F.

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

I have received this email not once, but twice; Once on the 6th of March and the other yesterday (18th of April). I presumed the 6th of March email was a 'quirk' of the TV element being removed from my account, but I have no idea why I got one yesterday - I've requested a bag to send the YouView box back! 

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @muggsy14 

It sounds like you need to factory reset your PLA's anyway as they should not be dropping out even once a month. Do a factory reset and set them up again. Check for software updates. What make are they ??

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
muggsy14
Team Player
Strangely, my internet has been completely down for the last 25 or so minutes.
KeithFrench
Community Star

That is now a bit off topic. Please create a new thread for your problems and we will see if we can help & if not, get the OCEs involved.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

muggsy14
Team Player

Yes, sorry - got a bit 'chatty' there.  All is good now.

yern01
Participant

I received this email yesterday too. My TalkTalk TV box is connected to my broaadband router wirelessly using a TP-Link pocket router working in "client" mode. Everything works except TalkTalk doesn't see the connection, hence the email. Is there a fix for this?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @yern01 

This thread is just a discussion about the email that has gone out. If you have connection problems, then please start a new thread of your own.

Keith

yern01
Participant

My point is that I don't have connection problems but I get these emails because TalkTalk can't see that I am connected.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Everyone else who is getting these emails has a fully functioning TV service. If you have a problem with your service, then you will need to create your own thread. 

Keith

Talman
Wizz Kid

I have also had the same email on Thursday 18th! Very strange as I seem to have the channels I am meant to have!

Community Team

Hi

This has been fed back to the teams but with the Easter weekend break I would not expect a reply until after this.

Thanks

Karl. 

calcotti
Wizz Kid

I've had another of these emails today but I am not aware of any disruption to by connection. Are we any wiser to what is triggering these emails?

fr8ys
Community Star

Me too. 

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
csquared2
Team Player

My second e-mail is different in that it states that my TV Box isn't connected to my router; and is factually correct (some of the time).

My three TV Boxes are all connected wirelessly using TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Routers operating in Client mode and connected directly to the TV Box using the supplied USB and Ethernet leads. So, when my TV boxes go into energy saving mode, the clients are powered down and the boxes are isolated from the router.

So the only thing that causes the boxes to automatically connect to the internet is the firmware; either in accordance with the power saving schedule, or in accordance with whatever YouView have installed to maintain/monitor the box performance.

The boxes do wake up for around half an hour each night, apparently without TalkTalk's knowledge. Presumably this is when YouView updates and data collection take place.

So, having opted out of the £4/month surcharge, are these e-mails simply marketing; or are TalkTalk whinging because the can't collect TV Box usage data any more?

Of course none of this would be happening if the TV boxes had integrated WiFi in the first place.

Having tried Powerline Adapters (fine until I had a modern split circuit Consumer Unit installed), Wireless Extender using a spare HG635 Router (OK at best) and a 100% Gigabit Ethernet (perfect if you don't mind the wiring), I finally have a WiFi Hub and now have WiFi Everywhere (and a lot of surplus hardware). Whilst the TP-LinkNano Routers are only single port, the addition of a network switch allows multiple Ethernet devices to be serviced by a single WiFi Client.

Whilst the TP-Link client setup is covered by a very lengthy topic elsewhere, it might be more helpful if the device could be included in Keith French's very detailed 'Powerline Adapters & Wireless Extenders' document.