would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Failed or short recordings

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster
Hello, I have been reading several posts with interest, hoping to find an answer to my issue but to no avail.

The problem that I have seems quite common.  Recordings are regularly either failing to record or recording only a few seconds.  In May an engineer came out and checked everything but found no issues, shortly after that we upgraded the broadband to 'Faster Fibre' and it is usually testing at around 36 Mbps although it does drop off occasionally.  The problems continued so I called again resulting in a very protracted text conversation over about six hours, this culminated in the promise of a phone call within the next 72 hours; 72 hours later I called TalkTalk as I hadn't heard anything, they then arranged for another engineer visit for the Friday which was cancelled that morning and re-arranged for the Saturday the 7th of November.

The engineer arrived on the Saturday and after I showed him a few failed recordings he replaced the box but wouldn't let me keep the old one to watch the recordings I had left.

So, with renewed optimism, I set some recordings on the new box for the evening; unfortunately my optimism was miss-placed, some of the recordings failed again.

I did a maintenance reset and reset all the scheduled recordings but they soon began to fail again.

I have persevered for a while now and the failures seem quite random, some say 'failed to record', some say 'partially recorded' and some say 'recorded' but are only a few seconds long.

Also during playback some recordings pixelate and several seconds are lost while some freeze completely for a few seconds and then continue, they then work fine if I rewind!

A couple of times the internet connection (hard wired) has disappeared losing the watch list, catch-up etc. but the WiFi on both the laptop and the mobile still work; re-booting the box and the router seems to fix this; does the internet connection affect the recording or playback of terrestrial channels?

Sorry for the long post, I have tried to get as much detail down as possible.
Highlighted
Divsec
Community Star

Hi @ohnonottwins welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear back on Monday. The team here work office hours so weekend answers are rare.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thank you, @Divsec.  I'll keep an eye out on Monday.

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Hello again,

I think that I possibly posted the original message at a bad time, just before Christmas.

Am I likely to hear anything back from this post or would I be better of starting again?

Any help would be appreciated, lots more failed recordings over the Christmas period.

Highlighted
Divsec
Community Star

Hi @ohnonottwins oooops, I'm sure one of the team will be back to you with a big sorry . To speed things along I've refreshed your request for assistance (probably be the kiss of death)

If you don't hear in 24 hours bump the thread again, please.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thanks @Divsec hopefully, it was just all the holidays that lost my message temporarily and we are back to normal now. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

I'm replacing the router so this can be ruled out.

I can't see any issues on the line, all looks ok with the connection.

Is it all freeview recordings that fail or a mixture of internet channels / freeview ?

Do you have any issues with terrestrial TV channels ?

Is the TV box direct to the router with a cable ?

Do you have any aerial splitters or amplifiers in place ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Hello Karl, Thank you for getting back to me.

It is mostly the Freeview channels that fail but sometimes the internet channels as well, for example, Supergirl on Sky two episode 13 failed to record seven times all at 3:00 PM then directly after that at 4:00 PM episode 14 failed six times; the next day at 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM episodes 17 and 18 failed; all the rest of the series recorded.

Every channel is fine when watched live or paused and rewound and the signal quality is 100%.

We do have an aerial splitter/amplifier.

The box is directly connected to the router via a cable.

Regards

Simon

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

OK, try the new router when it arrives to rule out any issues with this.

If you have a splitter in place, check the lead going to the youview box, make sure all connections are secure.

With an amplifier, if it is the type that can have a variable output, see if this can be lowered a little.  Believe it or not, a too strong signal can cause issues.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
fre55die
Community Star

Hi @ohnonottwins 

Adding to @OCE_Karl 's comment, do you have any 4K filters fitted? as my "FREEVIEW" appointed second aerial installer said that they similarly can have adverse effects unless necessary, (whilst ripping mine out together with the whole aerial and booster fitted by the first "Freeview" "cowboy" installers) as being completely unnecessary where I live.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thank you, Karl, I'll try the router when it arrives.

With regard to the amplifier, we are in a bit of a valley so the signal is not that great at the best of times, on top of that it's a bungalow so the aerial isn't as high as it could be however the signal strength is usually around 66% to 68%.  I will check out the amplifier connections and see if I can reduce the gain.

Simon

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thanks for the information @fre55die but I don't have any filters added, just a Freeview antenna and an amplifier; the thing is that it used to work fine and nothing has changed in the setup as far as I can tell.

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster
Hello  @OCE_Karl 

I installed the new router soon after it arrived, unfortunately, I had another short recording that same evening and they have continued to fail regularly.  As suggested, I checked the amplifier, which is not adjustable, and all the coax connections, everything seems fine, the signal quality is still 100%.

The broadband seems to be dropping out, yesterday it went down to 2.3 Mbps from the usual 36 ish, it did a similar thing on the 10th and the 19th; each time a router reset fixed it.  Sometimes the thumbnails of the recording don't display or slowly build up.
On the 19th I did a test on the TalkTalk service centre after the internet went down to 1.95 Mbps and it said "Our health check shows that your internet has been disconnecting" I don't know how much influence the internet connection has on recordings.

I also have a lot of problems connecting to the Chromecast via the phone and laptop, it struggles to connect and loses connection frequently; I had always put this down to the WiFi connection as the signal from the router does have to go through a solid brick wall, but maybe it is relevant?

The recordings are regularly stopping before the end of the program but I don't know if this is down to the box as I believe that the broadcaster sends a signal for this. 

Playback sometimes freezes for a few seconds but is okay after rewinding.

Sorry for another long post, I could actually have added more!
Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Hello @OCE_Karl just a quick update.

Something new has just happened, Pointless is on but when I press the INFO button it says I am watching Father brown which actually started at 2:15 and finished at 3:00!  It shows the same if I press play.  I changed the channel to ITV and Channel 4 and it's showing programs that were on at around 2:00 on all of them, it was still the same when I turned the box off and on again.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi ohnonottwins

We can send a replacement TV Box for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thank you @OCE_Debbie 

It would certainly be worth a try, as long as I can still have some time to watch what has actually recorded on the old one!

What I would like to understand though is what effect if any the internet has on terrestrial recordings as it does drop off sometimes.

One other thing, you sent me a new router but there was no return information with it, do you need the old one back?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi ohnonottwins

Thanks for your reply.

The internet connection shouldn't affect these channels. The aerial signal could affect this. Have you checked the signal strength and tried re tuning the channels again?

You can keep the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Thank you @OCE_Debbie 

The aerial signal is always 100% for quality on all the channels I have checked and the picture is always good on the terrestrial channels.  I have re-tuned several times, including after maintenance resets.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

The replacement TV Box is on the way to see if this is hardware related etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
ohnonottwins
Popular Poster

Great, thank you @OCE_Karl I'll keep my fingers crossed.