Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Failed recordings and blank screen.

26 REPLIES
davidpmay
Conversation Starter

For the past few weeks I've had an increasing number of failed recordings on a variety of channels.

I've also noticed that often the screen is blank until I change channel and then when I got back to the original channel that had the blank screen it's working again.

Any ideas short of doing yet another maintenance mode reset?

Community Team

Hi David

I've a replacement router on the way to see if this is causing the issue.

No issues are showing remotely.

I've also reset your line and optimised the line profile for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl.

Bit confused. Whilst I used to work in IT it's been a while and I know things have moved on, but I don't understand why my router would cause my TV signal on my youview box to have issues or cause my youview box to fail to record a freeview program?

Love to understand why that would be the case.

Anyway router just turned up so will try it and see if there's any change. Hopefully it'll improve a few things on the Wifi side
that I haven't bothered reporting.

Thanks
David
ferguson
Community Star

What make/model of box do you have?

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Well new router didn't make any difference I'm afraid. I've just turned my youview box on to check which model I have to answer Ferguson and found this.

1. Turns on set to channel 5 no picture or sound.

2. Switch to channel 4, nothing there either.

3. Switch my TV source to TV (which get's it's freeview signal via my youview box i.e. no direct aerial) and that's fine on all channels.

4. Switch source back to youview, still set to channel 4 nothing.

5. Switch youview channel to BBC, lo and behold picture and sound. 

6. Switch youview channel to channel 5, picture and sound where there was none before.

6. Switch youview channel to channel 4 just to check and picture and sound there also.

So not router then.

To answer Fergusons question. DN373T.01.02.P variant 001

last updated today.

Component software 3.3.152(bd97c9)

Manufacturer software 72.45.145

Platform confirmation 4126

ISP confirmation 2301011

Tried Update software and it says (unsurprisingly) given the last check and update was today that it's already running the latest software.

Any suggestions other than the standard maintenance mode reset which, without wishing to sound cynical (really) seems to be the standard answer to any problem with the Huawei boxes. Can they really be that flakey, seems we have to do a maintenance mode reset every few weeks to keep them stable, obviously losing all scheduled recordings, which frankly is a pain if, like me, you don't watch anything live and don't watch much on demand (which works fine by the way - no router issues there at all).

Thanks.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, the reason I asked is that YouView have identified a recording issue with Humax boxes, nothing on Huawei boxes as far as I know. So that's answered that one!

Community Team

Hi

Last option to try short of replacing the box is to perform a factory reset from the youview menus.  This will erase the hard drive and set this back up in case of any corruption.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

I guess that really means that I'll have to try a maintenance mode reset before a factory reset. Can't say I'm that impressed that we're now talking again about potentially replacing the box. If you check back in my post history you'll see that the current box I have was a replacement because of other issues and I've had it for less than 10 months. 

I really don't understand why these boxes are so flakey. As I've said previously, there doesn't seem to be anything other than performing either a maintenance mode keep recordings or a factory reset. Whilst I understand they're pretty much just a computer with a TV card in. The quality is pretty appalling frankly. Given my comment they're just computers then turning in off for a while and back on 'should' fix most issues, but it doesn't. 

From a customer perspective. I do find it extremely annoying that I can't refuse to take an update. When I first got youview it worked great, but it seems to me that every update makes it worse. 

David

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl

I know you tweaked the profile. But could you have another look please. With my old router I was getting just over 7mb at the router. Now I can't get more than about 5.5, not much difference I know, but it has been as high as 9 in the past.

Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi

i've optimised the profile but as the line is approx 3km this will not improve much more.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl.

For info. I'm hesitant to do a complete factory reset as whilst we're getting failed recordings we also have some recordings we'd like to watch first, so I did a maintenance mode, keep recording reset and that made no difference at all.

Having checked this and other youview forums it would seem that this problem appears to be a potential forerunner to a hard disk failure. 

Am I to assume that the complete factory reset re-formats the hard drive rather than just erasing any recordings?

Thanks

David

Community Team

Hi David,

The factory reset will reformat the hard drive.  This is the next logical step before looking at replacing the box.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the info Karl. Family is very unhappy about the prosepect of losing all their recordings as we never watch anything live and have quite a lot recorded that we haven't watched yet and whilst I'm sure a lot of it is available on the various on demand players we often have someone watching netflix whilst others are watching recordings. Our broadband speed just isn't fast enough for multiple ondemand streaming and I'm reluctant to upgrade to fibre just because of this issue. 

I also have an old Toshiba DVD player that also is a freeview HDD recorder. This has never failed in this way and I've had it around 10 years. Given the number of reports I see on this and other community forums when I search for this problem. Either Huawei hardware is very unreliable or the youview software is. Either way expecting customers to keep factory resetting boxes is not a realistic long term option and needs a proper solution. As I've said before I realise they are really computers as are all smart tv's these days but I don't have to re-install my operating system and reformat my hard drive on my computer everytime I get a problem I just reboot it. Also my games machines from Nintendo and Sony don't keep bombing out all the time.

Someone, somewhere isn't doing their job properly and as a customer I'm paying for this and expect it to be better. 

So as this box has only lasted 10 months before exhibiting problems I'm requesting that you replace this one and we'll do what we did last time, which is watch what we've recorded in the 30 day return to base timescale. But I'm not happy to just delete it all on the off chance that a reformat will fix it. 

Please ask the power that be to resolve this general issue with a proper solution.

Thanks

David

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
HI Karl

Been over a week. Any reply?

Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi David

A replacement box is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

Thanks. New box arrived today. I've gone through the setup (which included a software update to 72.45.145) and reentered all my scheduled recordings.

I was going to say it's exactly the same as the old one, but to be honest I think it's worse. 

So to go through the issue I now have with the NEW box.

1. Turn it on. Blank screen.

2. Switch to TV on the same channel which is BBC1 (using the TV remote so not touching or doing anything with the youview box at all) I get a picture. PLEASE NOTE this picture is from the aerial cable coming from the antenna out on the youview box so the youview box is definitely getting the signal.

3. Back to youview box and unsurprisingly, as I haven't touched it, it's still blank.

4. Switch to BBC2 - nothing still blank.

5. Switch to ITV - hey presto. I get a picture.

6. Switch back to BBC2 - I now get a picture

7. Switch to BBC1 - I now get a picture.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I checked the three recordings we had scheduled for this evening. ALL failed.

Should I have done a factory reset out of the box. I sort of assumed I wouldn't need to.

Obviously Karl I have no issue with you personally as you've been very helpful. However, this is now past the point of ridiculous and is totally unacceptable. 

As it stands I'm afraid I have to take the view that TalkTalk are not fulfilling their contract with me as you have provided me with substandard equipment that is not fit for purpose. Whether it's the hardware or (in my view) the software that's at fault remains to be seen. 

It would be useful to now know, having checked the Youview software update dates that we're apparently waiting for a maintenance release. 

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/talktalk-software-update-60-47-57-72-47-57

Really need to know when I'm going to get that before I take this further. I know it's a phased rollout. So please put me down for a forced immediate release to see if that fixes my issue. As it's clearly not the box or a hard drive failure. Unless of course I'm very unlucky.

Of course if you've got any further ideas I'll be happy to consider them.

Thanks again

David

Community Team

Hi David

I want to get one of our engineers to pop round and take a look.  Are you available Tomorrow (thurs) 12-3pm.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl.

Afraid not. We both work in schools so can't have time off during term time. Really appreciate you're trying to help, but wouldn't
be able to do anything during the day until after 20th when school holidays start. Happy to book something in for after then though.
I realise that's not ideal as I'm sure you're as curious as I am. I will, however, do a factory reset on the new box as there's nothing to lose on that and see if that makes any difference. Will get back to you on that as soon as I can.

Are you able to find out what the maintenance release I mentioned is supposed to fix and when we might get it?

Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi

Software releases are done in batches based on serial number, and we have no control over when this update will be done.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl

Thanks for info. Just for the record. I did a complete factory reset on the new box and it's no different.
I've also put a splitter into the aerial so I can do duplicate recordings on both the new youview box and my
old toshiba HDD recorder and so far the youview box is failing to record and the toshiba box is recording fine.

Will get back to you when it's possible to try and get the engineer round for a look see.

Thanks
David