cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 router causing battery drain on LG mobile?

ANSWERED
10 REPLIES
malw77
First Timer

Hi,

I hope this is the correct board to post to, apologies if not. I recently (mid-August) upgraded to the TV Plus package and was sent a new router, Huwaii HG633. Since I connected the new router, both my LG Nexus 5 and my husband's Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini have experienced heavy battery drain when at home on WiFi. The latest example was that I took my Nexus 5 off charge at 12.30am today and by the time I looked at it again at 10.30am, the battery was down to 26%. It had been on standby, not used at all during that period. 

I read in older threads that a lot of people were experiencing this and that it might have something to do with IGMP being enabled in the router settings, but I can't find any way to disable this on my HG633 router. Can anyone help with the router settings or is there any other way to prevent this problem? I do see the up and down arrows next to the WiFi icon constantly flashing on and off when I'm not actually using the phone and there are no apps running other than system apps. I never had any problems before this using the old D-Link router, and haven't changed any settings or installed any apps recently that might have caused this problem - other than changing my TalkTalk router!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community Team

Hi,

The IGMP settings are required for the TV service, so cannot be disabled.

There is a useful android utility : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.wifiAutoOff

This can turn wifi off when the phone is not in use, to help improv battery life.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

david888
Conversation Starter

I also have exactly the same problem - heavy battery drain on my phone since moving to the HG-633 router. If IP multicast is indeed the problem, and the TalkTalk YouView boxes have no support for wi-fi, will it be possible to add an option to disable the delivery of multicast packets over wi-fi in a future firmware upgrade?

Community Team

Hi,

I've an android (Galaxy Note4) and use this with a HG633, and have not noriced any issues. I do have TV, so the IGMP settings are active.

I have set a static IP address for the YouView box, but not for anything else. This is the only diference to my setup, but I've not noticed any drain so far.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

malw77
First Timer
Karl, thanks for your for reply and the app recommendation. Would it also be worth trying a static IP address on my youview box? If so, please advise how this is done. Thanks.
david888
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl, Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the extra battery drain was immediately noticeable when I started using the HG-633.  At the time I posted this question but never got an answer.

Community Team

Hi,

Manual setting for IP within youview below :

Try manually setting the network connection on the YouView box, in the Settings Menu go to Network & Internet, toggle to Manual and then use the following:

IP address 192.168.1.100

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS 8.8.8.8

Thanks

Karl

malw77
First Timer

Hi, thanks for your help with the IP address info, but it's made no difference at all to the battery drain on my mobile. The only way to save it is to turn off Wi-Fi when I'm not using it. To this end I've installed the app you recommended, and it seems to work ok. BUT it seems ridiculous that we should have to do this, never before have I had this problem with any other router, so why this one? I've even turned off the power line plugs which connect the youview box to the internet, and it still drains my battery. I switched to the previous TT router (DSL-3680) and all was well again, but that router doesn't allow me to connect to online tv, so it isn't an option for long term use.

I think TT need to address this issue, there must be some solution other than having to change the way you use your phone.

Mal

Community Team
Solution

Hi

I've passed all the relevant details to our devices manager to look into, and see if his team have seen other reports of this, or recreated any issues during their testing.

Karl.

jambath
Chatterbox

I experienced the same dramatic drop in Android battery performance when using the HG633. The speed was also poor even thought the sync speed was immediately at 70meg (i.e as advertised.) I tried all the suggested "fixes", ie. fixed ip address, disabled 5g, don't use IGMP nor youview nor TT tv , none of this made a blind bit of difference.   Came to the conclusion that the cheap router was the issue.  Replaced it with a netgear D7000v2 and thoughput jumped by about 10mpbs on all devices, battery life has gone back up to normal  i.e had dropped to 26% by 5pm but now (4.45) is saying 76%. Same place, same usage. 

HG633 is cheap garbage. 

Weevie
Enlightened One

jambath wrote:

I experienced the same dramatic drop in Android battery performance when using the HG633. The speed was also poor even thought the sync speed was immediately at 70meg (i.e as advertised.) I tried all the suggested "fixes", ie. fixed ip address, disabled 5g, don't use IGMP nor youview nor TT tv , none of this made a blind bit of difference.   Came to the conclusion that the cheap router was the issue.  Replaced it with a netgear D7000v2 and thoughput jumped by about 10mpbs on all devices, battery life has gone back up to normal  i.e had dropped to 26% by 5pm but now (4.45) is saying 76%. Same place, same usage. 

HG633 is cheap garbage. 

a Router cannot cause the battery on a mobile phone to drain !