would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet channels buffering very badly

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES
adp123
Popular Poster

Hi, I am on Talktalk fast fibre, but the internet channels (Sky Cinema and kids boosts) on the Youview box break up so badly as to make them almost unwatchable. There appear to be no problems with the player apps, or internet access generally.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @adp123

How is the box connected to the router? Direct with an ethernet cable or Power Line Adaptors ?

If PLA's are all the lights green with no orange or red lights on the middle one?

Can you try a WIRED speedtest and post the results.

Could you please ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi adp123 

Speeds look dine, line in sync at 40mb with no errors.

Can you answer the questions from fre55die so we can help.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial

adp123
Popular Poster

Hi,

Youview box is connected to router via powerline adaptors.  The outside lights are all green, the middle one is mainly green but occasionally flickers orange.

Just connected my laptop to the router and ran a few speed tests, showing download speeds of between 31 and 35 Mbps.  I am connected all day and notice no issues with general internet connectivity.

The picture/sound on the internet channels breaking up is intermittent - it will be okay for a few minutes then unwatchable for a few minutes.  The other internet functions on the youview box seem fine - I get no issues at all watching on iplayer, all 4 etc.

Thanks

fre55die
Community Star

@adp123

The flickering middle light is possibly the problem. Are the PLA's plugged DIRECTLY into the sockets I.E. no extension leads or adapters ? It is a good idea to reset the adapters and see if this solves the flickering middle light.

What speeds are you getting if you connect your laptop to the PLA by the YouView Box ?

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
adp123
Popular Poster

Just ran a speed test using my laptop, connecting via ethernet to the router I get about 32Mbps, connecting via ethernet to the Youview end of the powerline adaptors I this drops to about 4 / 4.5Mbps.

The PLAs are connected to wall sockets - not via extension leads.  There are no practical alternatives in terms of sockets that I could use!

Thanks,

Alex.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @adp123

That is the problem then as ideally you need at least 6Mbps CONSTANTLY for the "boost" channels to work properly. The players use different technology and can work with about 3 Mbps.

Have you tried resetting the PLA's as suggested ? Do you have alternative sockets that you can try to see if it is a socket problem if resetting the adapters hasn't worked?

adp123
Popular Poster

I reset these periodically but it seems to make no difference.

If I watch a boost movie "on demand", there seems to be no problem.  Why have a different (worse) system for the "live" channel streaming?

It's looking to me like I am going to have to invest in a very long ethernet cable and route it from the router to the youview box (through walls etc).  I feel this is probably the best long term solution.

Is there any chance I could get Talktalk to send me a cable - given that the powerline adaptor solution that they advised and supplied (and charged me for) is clearly inadequate?

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @adp123

Have you tried using an alternative socket as suggested then trying a speed test from it ? I have one double socket which despite working fine electrically, if I plug a PLA in it the speeds are dreadful and it is on the same circuit that works fine for PLA's. If that solves it then you could use a shorter cat5e or higher RJ45 lead.

A 40 metre cable costs from about £8 on that well known site beginning with A !!!

adp123
Popular Poster
Solution

Problem solved - I've ditched the power line adaptors altogether and routed an ethernet cable from the router to the youview box.  Obviously not nearly as convenient to install as PLAs, but the speed is now much better to the box and the channels appear to be streaming without issue.