cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Issues after fibre upgrade

11 REPLIES
ashscrivens
Team Player

Hi,

An engineer visited my home yesterday, installed a new master socket and enabled me for fibre. I should be getting speeds of around 70mb but i only getting around 30mb and it seems that's what my router is syncing at. The engineer did tests and advised my line is capable of up to 80mb as the cab is in my apartment block.

(I have also achieved speeds of around 70mb before on this line with EE broadband)

Also the reason I have posted this in the TV forum is I am unable to view boost TV channels since this upgrade yesterday, I have also tried this morning restarting both the TV and router.

It’s all a bit of mess at the moment, hope you can help?

Thanks
Ash

texasranger1
Conversation Starter

hi mate

If its anything like when i upgraded to fibre the 30 speed is at the start and over the next 10 days or so as they test your line the speed will improve upto your maximum avalible speed.

Hope this helps you!

cheers

texas ranger
Community Team

Hi Ash

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 80mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

ashscrivens
Team Player

I will try another restart when I am home from work, do you know why my boost channels are not working either? Its not throwing up any error messages they are all just completely black screens.

Thanks

Ash

Community Team

Hi Ash

The speed can affect this too. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue following powering down the router (for 30 mins)

Thanks

Debbie

ashscrivens
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Had it all switched off for half an hour and turned it back on. Still the same poor speeds and none of the boost channels are working.

All my recordings on these channels have failed so I'm missing tv I'm paying for.

Attached are some images from the router and a speed test.

ThanksScreenshot_20171207-075444.jpg

Screenshot_20171207-075347.jpg

Community Team

Hi ashscrivens,

Can't see any reason for the slow throughput. Are you running the speed tests on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or Wifi?

Can your run 3 speed tests at different times of day on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

Chris

ashscrivens
Team Player

I will do but the issue of the TV channels seems to be another issue. The TV boosts will work with a much slower speed than 30mb so they should be working regardless, they worked before on my 10mb ADSL connection.

Can this also please be looked into, I now have episodes of series missing all this week for tv I am paying for!

Thanks

Ash

ashscrivens
Team Player

Yesterday I tried calling in to TalkTalk, the lady got me restarting everything, ran tests and also got me doing a master reset on my box losing all series links and settings. I think she give up in the end and hung up on me.

Its clear something has not been switched over for me to receive the channels on my new fibre line, speeds are also still only running at just below 30mb, my guaranteed min speed is supposed to be 60mb.

I hope you can try sort this today.

Community Team

Hi ashscrivens,

Can you try switching the router off again for 30 minutes, you're still on an 80Mbps profile but sync speed is only 28.1Mbps

Regarding the TV issue, are you only getting a black screen, do you not get an error message or a message asking your to subscribe?

Chris

ashscrivens
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Yes I only get a black screen no error message, its recognising my subscription as sky ondemand will play fine in the talktalk player and its shows my subscribed boosts.

I am currently in my office so unable to restart untill later this evening when I am home, are you able to check any issues of the area/exchange being congested in my area? Just an idea of what the issue with speed might be.

Thanks

Ash

Community Team

Hi

If there is an underlying fault it could also be affecting the multicast transmissions.

If you can power off the router for 30 minutes as advised by Chris, this will essentially end and allow a new session to be created between the router and the exchange equipment.  Also, whilst doing this, power off the TV box for 10 minutes and see if you still get the blank screen on IP channels when all is back up and running.

If the speeds continue to be low we may need to deal with this issue first by way of an engineer before looking at a multicast engineer to check the exchange ports.

Thanks

Karl.