cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Latest YouView Box Software Update

75 REPLIES
Chris42
First Timer

Whoever decided this should go ahead  cannot have tried it out. It's a disaster. Initially, I was pleased to find the programme guide was clearer. However, why oh why did they add confusing pictures and layout to the recordings lists? It is now a nightmare to navigate and in my opinion has really destroyed the benefit of this bit of kit. Is there a way of reverting to the previous version or - ideally - can we please have an update that adresses this problem? The software designer obviously hasn't heard of  Henry Ford's "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

fr8ys
Community Star

It is not possible to revert.

The software is YouView led and has been through a rigorous testing and feedback procedure. TalkTalk pick this up as they are utilising YouView as their TV platform.

There have been similar comments but give it a few weeks and you soon get used to it, and others have since said they prefer it. 

One benefit is that the code now being used allows the boxes to respond much quicker than before.

The YouView community have a forum too and you can register your views on there if you wish. 

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
jackson2uk
Conversation Starter

I agree totally with you regarding the Recordings page - somebody went for flashy rather than practical.  Why if you've got a series of recordings are you taken to the most recent rather than the oldest - I really want to watch a series in reverse order.  When you've finished watching something you want to delete it, so why do you go back to the main Recordings page rather than the series list page?  You press delete and you delete the whole series - very smart.  

I don't like the Guide page either - less information than the old page.

Also, what happened to the inset picture in the top right hand corner, presumably this is why the interface is more responsive rather than the flashy images.

As to getting used to the new user interface.  A few months ago I bought a new humax box when my old one died - I hated the user interface so much that I sent it back.  I think that I will be looking for a non-YouView box in the next months.

fr8ys
Community Star

Remember though you won't get boosts unless it's a YouView box. 

All boxes branded YouView will be getting the new interface. 

jackson2uk wrote:

I think that I will be looking for a non-YouView box in the next months.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
jackson2uk
Conversation Starter

As I'm currently leaving TT and have never used a boost, not being able to use TT boosts won't be a problem.

As I stated the new box will be non-YouView.

Visionman
Wizz Kid

''All boxes branded YouView will be getting the new interface.''

One has to give consideration that this new HTML5 interface is quite radical from the current bespoke itteration. As such, many user reactions will initially understandably be over the top, like its a disater of first world proportions that will cause the fall of YouView in proportions too, but not less than, the fall of the Roman Empire, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and the total earth wipe-out that caused the extintion of the dinosaurs.

Now where are my YouView slippers? I hope they haven't gone poof! as well... 

Jordok
First Timer

I'm finding the new guide less responsive and I preferred the inset 'current channel' picture rather than the new slightly transparent guide. 

The mission statement for this update was along the lines of 'faster and better' and I'd say they've failed on both counts. 

hughwpearce
Team Player

I find it aweful they seem too have changed it to a Webpage type menu system

you cant see which recordings you ve watched and it'svvery difficult to navigate

Its also slower. There is also no info or preview box on the guide

This  update is rubbish looks like it was designed as a school project

hughwpearce
Team Player

Another anoying feature is the program gude no longer scrolles all the way around so to get to the radio sations you have to scroll throught 100s of added bloat programs like sky and bt that weren't there before

ferguson
Community Star

@hughwpearce I agree that the loss of the hide channel feature is a bear, although that will be restored. I find the easiest way to get to the radio channels is to just punch 700 in once you are in the guide, or of course the number of the particular station you wish to listen to if you already know that.

hughwpearce
Team Player

thanks for advise

Will they be doing anything about indicating which recordings you've watched like old interface if not definately a backward step taking out useful functionality

fr8ys
Community Star
Watched programmes do show in the list. There is the word watched across the picture of such programmes prominently shown.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hughwpearce

Date of recording over the video image in Recordings.

If you've part watched it this changes to PART WATCHED

If you've watched it this changes to... guess what... WATCHED

When you've actually experienced Next Gen... there's no going back... literally!

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
Visionman
Wizz Kid

All pictures are overlaid with desciptions. Including their content names and if watched or not. And its actually not the disaster many are painting.

ForAll
Chatterbox

fr8ys wrote:

It is not possible to revert.

The software is YouView led and has been through a rigorous testing and feedback procedure. TalkTalk pick this up as they are utilising YouView as their TV platform.

There have been similar comments but give it a few weeks and you soon get used to it, and others have since said they prefer it. 

One benefit is that the code now being used allows the boxes to respond much quicker than before.

The YouView community have a forum too and you can register your views on there if you wish. 

ForAll
Chatterbox
Totally agree. Its diabolical pathetic and crass. The graphics and layout are infantile, the look is insipid and sickened, navigation labourers and painful. I truly believe it's the second worst mistake talktalk have made.
rlyoung
Popular Poster

Since update it's now a completely UNUSABLE timewasting Youview box (except for iplayer) thanks to the EPG update

All this seems to be about is to shove paid for content in your face which I don't want to know about never mind pay for.  I've had to completely go back to my previous Freeview box.  For all the reasons here already and more. 

Now 100's of channels to attempt to scroll through to find anything; including 100's of pay for or internet which I do not want to see or know about and do not want them in my way - no hide or delete function is completely ridiculous.  And then having to scroll through them all again to get back to where you were as there's no loop back to the start / lowest channel (or select 1 to get there). 

Picture in EPG gone so you can't keep watching while checking other programmes (e.g. to ensure you don't miss what you were watching when the ads are on and you want to check other programmes). 

There's nothing faster about the box either - if anything it's slower.

Also why they still can't sort a back button that actually works to bring you directly back to the channel you were watching when you leave it to temporarily check out something else, as with other players, I can't understand.

Will now be looking for another box and it won't be Youview that's for sure.

rlyoung
Popular Poster

Please don't tell me what I'll 'soon get used to'.  That's irrelivant to the problems and mess of this update for one thing, and there's no getting used to something that's now completely UNUSABLE to me.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @rlyoung

I'm so disappointed for you going from what was a creaking gate of technology (the old YouView) to an unfamiliar, unfriendly, unfathomable Next Generation You View.  My family are now very familiar with the new YouView and use it more than the Freesat box.  

Some features, like the mini-view have been lost although sound is still there to listen out for adverts ending, whilst others, like the ability to hide and unhide channels at will, will return. There are features that are far from satisfactory, like the presentation and navigation of recordings, for those with Plus TV boxes, and some inevitable bug fixes still to action.

I know it's a bit late to ask you, particularly as there's no going back to the classic YouView, but how would you like to see YouView develop, going forward, so that it meets your needs?  What are your top three priority asks? From your earlier post, I guess:

1 Hide and Unhide Channels (returning soon)
2 Better Visibility of the Programme behind the EPG guide (they obviously got the transparency wrong - maybe more like it is with new BBC Red Button?)
3 Better navigation / Back navigation (I agree this is essential - did you know you can use the Close button for faster return to a TV channel from a player / anywhere?)

Are these the top priorities for you?

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
rlyoung
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola Wise Owl,

Thanks for your reply (bit of sarcasm there did I detect? - I don't mind!).

Actually you often can't tell when the ad's are ending and a programme is restarting from the sound so inevitably miss some of it.

The three priorities you list for sure.

1st of course the hide function - I won't be wasting time with the box until it's back and if it's not back soon might end up just binning the box - I don't have the record package.

2nd (which otherwise would be 1st!) a back button function (the most used and useful button on my other freeview box); I'm aware there are apparently technical issues but can't understand how something also apparently so simple can't be done!

3rd would be the ability for the Youview box to hold the Irish Saorview (Freeview) channels which I get directly via an aerial for the purpose where I live in N.I. (from when analog).  These can be 'scanned' but then you need to tune in to one e.g. TV3 to get TV3 to 'stick' in EPG and on the menu system but as a result of tuning to that you then immediately lose others e.g. you lose RTE1 and RTE1+1.  Before I signed up to the TalkTalk Broadband TV package they assured me I would be able to get all my existing channels however this is not the case as above (no problem scanning and holding on my other box); the only function not there is the EPG specific information - the EPG programme title is there though for all the Irish channels once you tune EPG into one of them.

4th would be picture back in the EPG.

Kind regards

Richard