cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Latest YouView Box Software Update

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Gondola>

"I'm so disappointed for you going from what was a creaking gate of technology (the old YouView) to an unfamiliar, unfriendly, unfathomable Next Generation You View.  My family are now very familiar with the new YouView and use it more than the Freesat box."

Are you and your family happy with it in its current form, Gondola?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @rlyoung

Richard, no irony at all, more empathy because I remember my first reaction particularly to the loss of the mini-image.

How do you feel about the transparency of the EPG with the programme in the background assuming the programme was more visible? Does this work for you in place of the mini-image just as a way of keeping in touch with the channel, of course, not for actually viewing it?

I agree about the hide function and I'm impatient for its return. I have 88 hidden channels that fortunately have stayed hidden. But I'd like to hide more and unhide the subscription channels when we need them.

Back button navigation does need improvement but to navigate back and forth at will and to function as expected during tv viewing is tricky.  For example, I don't like pressing the back button to remove the info or playing time-line during a recording replay only to be dropped out of the replay. I'd expect only the close button to do this - but I find I am using the close button more frequently to fast navigate back to TV viewing instead of step by step back button presses. YouView Next Gen development has been interesting as the software developers are having to learn how to be viewers. They've got some more learning to get the Recordings, especially series recordings, right.

The RTE / Saorview channel conflict issue is one for YouView and the TalkTalk product team to address. I don't fully understand the situation; my last visit to NI was some 15 years ago. The RTE / Saorview channels are in the range 800 to 803 but that it may be possible in some locations to tune to a local multiplex for the RTE channels to occupy channels 50 - 53? Getting EPG information downloaded to the box from TalkTalk is also going to depend on a consistent approach by YouView / TalkTalk for NI viewers.

And the mini-image is still perhaps the most missed feature.

So, the good news, Richard, is that the TalkTalk product team do scan these posts so they'll now have a much better appreciation from a Northern Ireland viewer for discussion with YouView.

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Visionman

It's getting better with each update but it's far from perfect.

Visionman
Wizz Kid

"It's getting better with each update but it's far from perfect."

Indeed so. It also isn't the disaster many are painting. Though I can understand the comments, because Next Gext 2.0 is a radical update & departure from 1.0. To the extent that for some, it can be a shock to the system. And its also a work in progress....

jackson2uk
Conversation Starter

If it's a work in progress, why was it released and forced down everybodies throat!

Poorly conceived and poorly executed.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @rlyoung

Richard, I'm not sure I've got it absolutely clear about the advice on viewing UK Freeview channels and RTE / Saorview channels at the same time on a YouView box.

The BT advice.

Clearly it depends on the zone in which you live and the relative strength of the signals coming into the YouView box from the receiving aerial system at the time of tuning the YouView receiver. My take on this is that if you attenuate the RTE / Saorview signal strength (fit an attenuator in the RTE antenna lead-in cable) to make it weaker than the NI transmitter at the time of tuning the box then the NI transmitter channels will occupy the normal allocations and the (temporarily weaker) RTE / Saorview will occupy the 800 range? I assume then you take out the attenuator and watch as normal.

But the whole thing rather depends on a knowledge of the local signal strengths, the antenna systems and simply, what's available where you live.  I bet the antenna installers are the real 'Wise Owls' and know exactly what to do.

EDITED: PS It's been suggested to me that this topic deserves it's own thread so as not to confuse it with NextGen YouView. So if you or any other NI customers wish to share experiences with cross-border viewing techniques please feel free to Start a new Topic.

binnie42
Participant

Some of us would like the chance to see this new software update. It`s three months since it started being rolled out and I am still waiting.

I accept that my box is over 3 years old but  it`s another example of TTs disinterest towards loyal customers.

Peregrine
Wise Owl

I'm not sure where the "faster" comments are coming from, it's still excruciatlingly slow and barely fit for purpose. Loading iPlayer still takes an absolute age - yes the dots move more quickly now but you still have to wait for the same amount of time.

I use apps on a streaming stick now.

Jordok
First Timer

Agreed. I don't remember the exact wording of the pre-rollout information, but I think it was along the lines of 'more responsive'. For me, the Talktalk menus and general navigation in the programme guide are definitely slower. Not by much. Probably only tenths of a second, but I find myself double pressing for a function which is lagging and subsequently having to correct that. As someone already said, I'll get used to it, and it's a first world problem etc, but why should I put up with degraded functionality? What's more, I don't understand anyones incentive to defend it. If it's a work in progress...then what? Is it going to get worse still? 

fr8ys
Community Star

I understand that it is the 372T boxes that are being updated in phases, but due to the bug that is causing some boxes to freeze and not respond to the remote control, the roll out has been paused, until YouView issue an update to the software to fix this issue.

binnie42 wrote:

Some of us would like the chance to see this new software update. It`s three months since it started being rolled out and I am still waiting.

I accept that my box is over 3 years old but  it`s another example of TTs disinterest towards loyal customers.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
swaish
Popular Poster

If they do bring back the mini screen in the guide I hope they include a feature enabling users to disable it. I found it very annoying.

ferguson
Community Star

swaish wrote:

If they do bring back the mini screen in the guide I hope they include a feature enabling users to disable it. I found it very annoying.

There always was a feature to turn it off. I agree that optional features are a good thing and it is a lack of these which has led to much of the criticism of NextGen.

Visionman
Wizz Kid

Retail NextGen launched today. About 4.30pm.

Staggered batches, of course, and very few at that.

fre55die
Community Star

WHAT ?? Have they miraculously solved all the probs then  ????

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Visionman
Wizz Kid
ferguson
Community Star

I think this might be worth a separate topic, so I'm going to start one.

fre55die
Community Star

This is a HUMAX update  !!!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
ferguson
Community Star

fre55die wrote:

This is a HUMAX update which is failing on a lot of devices, anyway 27.46.0 is the latest !!! Also failing to install on a lot of machines.

Is that another breach of NDA?

fre55die
Community Star
Visionman this is a trials release for HUMAX boxes and only released to triallists who have signed NDA's Nothing to do with Huawei TT boxes !!!!!!
fre55die
Community Star
Ask fr8ys as well. We have been good and bitten our lips on this whole thing !!!!