cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Latest YouView Box Software Update

laticsrblu
Team Player

Thanks for your reply Gondola.

I have just tried your zoom answer fro the recordings page and it does work as you said, however it is soooo clunky in practice.
Once in MyTV I press zoom twice to move the screen around in order to see the recording on that page, to look at recordings on the next page I have to come out of zoom mode scroll down to the next page then press zoom twice again to read that page. .To select a recording I have to press zoom again which puts me back in an unzoomed mode and I can then use the arrows to select the recording that I can no longer read the name of but have remembered it's position on the screen. If by some chance the recording that I want to watch is already selected, and I stay in zoom mods, I have to press OK twice to play it, the play button does nothing irrespective of the number of times I press it.
Good grief - fortunately I'm mobile and can easily get up and stand closer to the screen to read it without all the zooming palaver.

Can someone suggest an alternative box!

Gondola
Community Star

... in the present software version I absolutely agree with you.  The scrolling of the page in zoom mode uses the same 'arrow' keys as normal. 

This is something that YouView are going to have to improve or viewers that depend on accessibility options are going to consider YouView no better than a cardboard box!

Let's make sure that @Holly B can take this forward for you with YouView and make sure that someone there is fully testing usability of all accessibility options.

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
Holly B
Conversation Starter
Thanks for flagging @Gondola.

@laticsrblu, zoom is something that YouView are working on improving but I will pass your comments on to them as well.

Thanks, Holly
Holly B
Conversation Starter
Hi @laticsrblu,

I passed your comments on to YouView and they have advised that there may be an easier way to navigate around recordings than what you are currently doing. See info below:

"If the user has pressed zoom twice to move the screen around as stated, they should then press OK once to return to interactive mode (i.e. to navigate around tiles in the zoomed state, press ch+/- to change page, and OK to select a recording to play it back)."

The zoom functionality that we have in Next Gen is comparable to what we had previously, and although there are some improvements that can be made, you should be able to perform all the usual functions in the same way as before.

If you have any further issues with this, please let me know as I'm always happy to pass feedback on to YouView.

Thanks, Holly
ValerieWrites
First Timer

I am inordinately and unreasonably enraged by this. I have just had a live 'chat' with pne of their customer service people who told me she could do a factory reset???? I was the one who had to point out to her that the whole system is changed with absoilutely no good or useful effect, so fiddling around with the settings on my individual box is not going to make any differecne at all. It wasn't broken DON'T FIX IT.

gwaihir
First Timer

I find the new display cumbersome, difficult to navigate and very unfriendly to use.  It may be fine if you have only a dozen of so programs in total recorded and they all fit on one screen. I have saved several series and have 200 to 300 programs recorded.  The largest I have is 69 episodes of a series.  To reach the most recent I have to index through them all.  Very slow, very poor and not thought out.  In my opinion it is not an upgrade.  

fr8ys
Community Star

The order of series recordings has long been an issue (even before the next generation software) and many many complaints were made about it landing on the latest recording when most people were wanting to start from the start of, or the oldest recording in, a series and watch them in order.

This change has been made by YouView in response to these complaints.

A suggestion has also been made that the last unwatched episode should be the default so you can continue a series where you left off. We shall have to wait and see if this is taken up or not.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
ferguson
Community Star

@gwaihir Initially the landing point in any series was newest episode first, but people complained then that they wanted to watch the oldest episode in a series first, not the most recent. You can't please everyone it seems. You will find that if you hold down the right arrow button rather than pressing it repeatedly it will scroll rapidly through a series, so that should help a bit.

EDIT: @fr8ys beat me to it! But try that right-scroll hold-down approach.

octavia5
First Timer

Well we hate this update and not just visually.  Since the update we have random and frequent locks when playing recorded programmes and have found it impossible to completley view any recording.  Twice we have had to turn the box off and then on again inorder to recover the situation.

Have decided to scrap the box and buy a second Humax box - we already have an older one which has never caused any the problems the Uview box has

ferguson
Community Star

@octavia5 Rather than turning it off and back on again, which is a bit brutal on the circuitry, try a soft reset if it happens again. Just press and hold the standby button on the box for about 8 seconds until it reboots. If that fails, then try a maintenance mode reset, option 4:  https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode

jackson2uk
Conversation Starter

@ferguson

I just tried the 'rapid scroll right' and found that it advance one episode in about 0.75 second - not very rapid IMHO.  It's quicker to keep pressing the button!

kingrobert
First Timer

Yes all we can say about this "update" is pure and utter crap. 

fre55die
Community Star

Hi octavia5

If it is a YouView box that you want I.E. able to receive internet content, it will be the same visually and the same interface and speed on a HUMAX box I have both boxes. Might I suggest that you start a new thread for your freezing box so that an OCE can look into the problem and if necessary organise a replacement before you fork out for a new box and be equally disappointed but a few hundred pounds poorer.

I assume that your other box is NOT A YOUVIEW box connected to the internet as it should have received the update to the "Nextgen" software.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fre55die
Community Star
@ferguson
Amazing isn't it. It's a no win scenario !!! I personally preferred the latest first as I tend to set shows to record in case I'm not in.
I have suggested to YV that they give the option but who knows EH !!!!
If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
fr8ys
Community Star

@fre55die, I too record series in a batch and then binge watch, so I prefer the oldest first rather than having to scroll through to get to the oldest.

I'm looking forward to the "watch first unwatched episode on series" landing when entering a series folder. Don't know if this is possible but would be a good innovation if it is.  

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
ronat
Conversation Starter

One of the things that annoy me about this new system, is that when I have finished watching a recording, it doesn't, like it used to, take me directly to the option to delete. You have to go back into the start, and trace the programme watched, before deleting. I realise that one man's meat is another man's poison, but it just does not seem an improvement to me....just a more colourful show.

Ronat
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @ronat

The software release 72.43.185 does take you back to the Recordings page to either the single recording, so you can delete or keep, or to the main Series placeholder.

Unfortunately it doesn't take you to the individual episode in a Series that you just watched so this is an improvement I would hope can be made to the back navigation.

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
Visionman
Wizz Kid

Gondola wrote:

Hi @ronat

The software release 72.43.185 does take you back to the Recordings page to either the single recording, so you can delete or keep, or to the main Series placeholder.

Unfortunately it doesn't take you to the individual episode in a Series that you just watched so this is an improvement I would hope can be made to the back navigation.

The improvement of the My TV journey for users has become (and now is) YouViews top priority over and above the promised re-introductions. The re-introduction features will come, but the improvements to a users My TV journey are now first. I can't really say any more than that.

But hey...  Watch this space! 

swaish
Participant
The only change I want to the latest release is the return of "Hide Channels"!
Everything else is fine in my opinion.
swaish
Participant

It now takes you back to the first recorded episode which I asume would be the one you just watched and would want to delete. Cant see why you would watch and delete an episode half way through a series.