Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lost channels and low TV signal since freeview update

12 REPLIES 12
macduffer
Participant

Hi since I retuned my youview box in the 5th September I have lost some channels and my TV signal has dropped from 40%to 32%. Is there anything that I can do as I have already retuned my box several times  to no avail 

fre55die
Community Star

hi @macduffer

If you have a FREEVIEW TV what happens if you plug the aerial directly into that? What channels are you missing and which transmitter are you receiving from.

Also if you could try unplugging the aerial from the Talktalk box and retune without it connected, then plug it in again and retune.

Look here under FAQ's I had problems on the Crystal palace retune. They sent out an engineer  and they replaced my aerial for free.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges#4b8MPQekREtABtcy.97

Put in your post code where it asks for full info. There is a phone number for you to contact them on. I shouldn't mention signal strengths to them though.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi macduffer

Have you followed the advice from fre55die ?

Are you still having issues ?

Thanks

Karl. 

macduffer
Participant

Hi thanks Fre55ie and Karl for your replys. I retuned TV with just TV aerial and managed a whopping 21 TV channels 😮, I retuned youview box and received 43 TV aerial channels and 78 subscription channels. On the freeview web page it says I should have 75 channels so well off the mark. Still missing a few channels like ITV Be etc. What would you recommend for my next step? Contact freeview and say since retune  I have lost several channels and see what they offer?? Thanks in advance 

Graeme

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @macduffer

Definately a case for a phone call complaint to FREEVIEW and hopefully a new FREE aerial. You didn't answer which transmitter you are using or which channels lost.

In my case they had moved MUX 7 and 8 to frequencies that could not be received by my "recommended" aerial type until the change.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi

If unsure which transmitter you are near, you can check the Freeview map.

Thanks

Karl. 

macduffer
Participant

Hi, thanks for the transmitter link, my postcode puts me in for the blackhill transmitter although I'm closer to the darvel one. I'll contact Freeview and let you know how I get on, thanks for your help 

Community Team
AlisonC2
First Timer

Following this as I too am in Blackhill area and have lost channels. I had 155 before and only 128 now. What is interesting is I can get them all OK on my smart TV but not through my Talk Talk box despite the retunes without & with the aerial.

Community Team

Hi AlisonC2

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

macduffer
Participant

Update, I have retuned TV and youview box with out aerial connected to clear channel listings and them retuned both separately. This has allowede to receive more channels, however the picture quality is really bad amdakes most programs unwatchable as they break up/freeze /become badly pixelated. I received the retuning info from Freeview and I'm about to phone back for further advice. Is there anything TalkTalk could do as I'm really annoyed now losing a lot of TV picture quality?

macduffer
Participant

I have just came off the phone to Freeview. Another hard retune carried out unfortunately still no improvement as most aerial TV programs are glitchy and pixelated which is starting to get really frustrating and annoying. Any help would be much appreciated. Freeview only gave me numbers of Ariel installers in my area. I put in a new ariel to get talktalk TV a couple of years ago.

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @macduffer

I did suggest the retune without aerial connected in my first post to you. As you are having the same if not worse problems with your TV separately it does point to an aerial problem.

There are 3 things that I would suggest :

1) Go to https://at800.tv/ to see if it could be being caused by 4g transmission interference.

2) Contact a couple of the aerial installers and ask what they suggest and if there are similar reported problems in your local area. You said that you were closer to Darvel than Blackhill, they will be able to check if you are picking up signals from the correct transmitter as the aerial could have moved even slightly in bad weather so that it is not picking up the correct one.

Don't forget that a new building between your premises and the transmitter can cause interference.

3) Get an aerial splitter to run separate cables to your TV and TT Box, this will enable you to turn off the Antenna Out on the box and save on your electricity bill.

You could also try a powered aerial splitter/booster, this will boost the signal to the equipment, if that is the problem.